SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Mid April 2012 pics of my yard!

tropicalzone7
12 years ago

Here are some pics around my yard. Some from Early April, many from last night.

These tulips are finishing up their blooms now. They had a pretty long blooming season starting in mid-late March and still looking good now almost 4 weeks later.

I love Camellia "Kramer's Supreme". I got it from San Diego last year and was worried it would not survive the winter since it is much more tender than the camellias you usually see around here. But it had no protection and no damage this winter (not too much of a surprise considering how great this winter was). The Blooms last such a long time and have a nice fragrance too. I think they look best just as they are opening up because you can really see the peony-like shape to them.

The blooms have a nice fragrance too which is not too common in Camellias (my Camellia "Herme" also has a light fragance)

Can anyone ID this cherry tree in my yard? I always forget the name of it! Its a really nice bloomer.

I need to get many more plants for under the tree and clean these up from a long winter indoors, but they should be looking good in 2 months. The Oleander has lots of buds on it already.

My Spindle palm, Tall Coconut, and Dwarf Coconut. They all did great indoors espeically the spindle palm. If you want a nice palm for indoors that also does well in sun, Spindle palms are what your looking for!

Sabal Minor doing well. Finally a winter where it isnt damaged by cold! Its so much more tender than other Sabals, but Im happy that I dont have to cut off burned tips of fronds this year!

Oleander should be blooming soon! Usually its in its fullest bloom May-June and winds down in July. Im going to feed it with bloom booster to see if I can keep it going all summer this year.

Mediterranean fan palm did well this winter. Its a slow grower, but maybe it will start putting out fronds faster now that it is going into it's 3rd summer.

Musa Saba is already starting off really big compared to its small height last year. Im hoping its a giant by the end of the summer! Should be fun to dig up in the fall. Next to it is an alphina ginger that I got from a supermarket. It handles sun better than I thought.

The Pansies are blooming really well. I got a few summer annuals this weekend, but Im hoping the Pansies will continue to bloom well into spring and early summer. I think some bloom booster and water will keep them going. They are in part shade now which also should help.

Butia did great this winter and was only protected a few nights. The frost proof gardenia below it had no protection at all and looks great. Cant wait for that to bloom!

I noticed my Ice Plants are blooming again! Anyone know what variety they are? I think they were labled as "rise and shine". They seem like good bloomers.

And I'll end this post with a few pics from Orlando..

A nice Butia with especially silver fronds

Tried to get a good pic of this nice mule palm, but this was the best I could do

The Licuala ramsayi looked really nice and healthy. Apparently they are slow growing so they either planted this at a large size or its been there a while (probably a bit of both!)

Thanks for looking! I did have some more pics, but I forgot to upload them! I'll try and upload those tomorrow!

Forecast looks good tomorrow and then some low 60s with rain so a bit below average, but at least we get some rain! Hopefully we wont get too much rain because I would take dry weather over flooding weather with the amount of rain we had last fall (although neither is very good!)

-Alex

Comments (22)