SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Late August 2012 pics of the yard

tropicalzone7
11 years ago

Summer went by fast, still a few more weeks of good growth left though. And the one good thing about Fall is that there are a lot of things to look forward to with my plants. My Thanksgiving Cactus will be blooming by November, my Butterfly and Spiral gingers will be blooming soon, my Long Island Pink Camellia will be blooming soon, and the elephant ears, bananas, and cannas look their best in September and October.

Here are some pics of how things are doing now, and a few comparisons from last year at this time...

Plumeria zoom lens

Moon vine flowering on the Gazeboo. It germinated in late May, so it takes about 11 weeks from germination to bloom in my experience.

Probably my favorite tropical vine, Allamandas. Anyone overwinter these indoors before? These pics were taken during the daytime since the flowers close at night.

Solitare palm looks good from the backyard, but a view from above definitely shows the indoor fronds (damaged from the sun) and the fronds that grew outdoors (which are healthy). So far it has grown 2 fronds this summer, it will probably finish off the year with 3.

Spindle palm has no fronds damaged from being indoors. It grew 1 frond outdoors with a second frond coming up now.

Plumeria from above with zoom lens

Front yard plants

Adondila

Plumeria and shrub daisy

Purple heart as ground cover for the plants by the pool

Musa Bordelon

Croton

Agaves

Majesty palm

Livistona

Monstera

Plumeria divine had a lack of blooms this year after having 6 inflos last year!

Sabal minor and Ensete

Crape Myrtle zuni bloom

Spiral ginger

Dragon wing Begonia

Pindo palm

Front yard plants September 19, 2011

Front yard plants August 25, 2012

Pool plants last year (Ice cream banana did much better last year than this year, but the elephant ear, butterfly ginger, and cannas (the cannas survived the winter, the others went indoors) all are growing much fuller this year.

Pool plants this year

Butterfly ginger and Alocasia

Elephant ear

Solandra maxima and plumeria

Eucalyptus

Passiflora

Hibiscus

Ivy geraniums are definitely one of my favorite summer annuals. The flowers are self cleaning unlike other geraniums and they bloom non stop all season long

Purple heart bloom

Plumeria inflo

Volunteer cypress vine that has really attracted a lot of hummers to the yard

Macro lens Hibiscus

There have been 10s of butterflies in my yard because of the mint that is blooming

Brugmansia took a long time to start growing this year, but it's doing great now and growing fast

Shrub Daisy

My largest and oldest plumeria has 3 inflos this year. I can only take a pic of it from the upstairs window

Some of the potted tropicals during the day time

Front yard plants in the daytime

Mexican Petunia

Thanks for looking!

Comments (22)