SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Mid September 2013: Pics Around My Yard!

tropicalzone7
10 years ago

It was another nice growing season in my yard. Some plants like my bananas have been really disappointing in terms of growth but other plants have done a lot better than I expected. Overall things are looking great and I have a lot of ideas for next year already.

Here are some pics!
My Crape Myrtle Tuscarora has been a really late bloomer this year (I planted it last fall), but it's nice to have some color this time of the year in the yard.

My Adondila recovered from being indoors really well. They actually seem to be surprisingly tolerant of going indoors during the winter.

My Bottle palm is pushing out its 3rd frond of the season. It's been a nice grower. I don't know what blue flowers are growing below it (I didn't plant it), but the butterflies are going crazy for it. I had 4 monarch butterflies hovering around the stairs the other day all at the same time!

Mandevillas are always really reliable growers and bloomers for me!

The Mandevilla in the backyard is really climbing

Another angle of the backyard Mandevilla with 2 of my plumerias included

I'm planning on redoing the front yard next year. I'm excited to have a lot more planting room to work with next season!

Night shot of the front yard tropicals

The pool area is looking good again this year. The Saba Banana to the very right has been growing incredibly slow though. I will not be planting bananas by the pool next season since they don't seem to like it there for some reason.

Night shot

The Hibiscus by the pool are now reaching about 8 feet tall! I got them from a good friend as tiny plants back around 2009.

The Hibiscus by the front yard have done incredibly well also this season. I brought them in last year and was not expecting them to do well when I planted them in one of the shadiest parts of my property.

Monsteras have always been one of my favorite tropicals. they are really easy indoors or out.

I made a succulent frame about a month ago and all the cuttings are nicely rooted and ready to go indoors in a few weeks! It was a cool project and I really liked the result.

Large view of the backyard

Night shot

My Favorite plumeria and plant in the yard. It was only a foot tall in March 2009, now it's a giant and a reliable bloomer!

My Adondila and 2 coconut palms.

My Thailand giant got some great growth this year considering it's in a pot. It will be in the ground next season so it should really take off!

My other really big elephant ear

Another wide shot of the backyard

My Ribbon palm is probably going in the ground next season.

My oleander is still blooming strong! This is the first year in the ground for this Oleander, my red one is going to go through it's 4th winter.

The red oleander still has some buds left on it too

My Spiral ginger grew a shoot about 6 feet tall just in the last 3 weeks. It's getting ready to bloom!

My Cast Iron plants that I left in pots did not make it through the winter this year, but my cast iron plants in the ground have been going on for 4 summers now without any damage during the winter without protection.

A last shot of the pool area with the moon vine flowers opening up for the night.

Thanks for looking!
-Alex

Comments (13)