SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Getting Ready for Colder Weather--OCS Data

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

The cool nights in Marietta this week (overnight lows of 44 and 45) have me thinking about the arrival of the first fall frost or freeze, and the things I need to do before that date arrives.

I know we have several "new to Oklahoma" gardeners here on the Oklahoma Forum, so thought I'd post a link to the Oklahoma Climatological Society. If you go to the attached link, and click on the phrase "Choose By County" in the upper left-hand corner, it will take you to a page where you can click on the name of any county in Oklahoma. Once you click on the name of the County you're interested in, it will take you to that county's page. From there upi can click on either two of the following to see applicable data:

QUICK CLIMATE FACTS: The first is a one-page PDF file called "Quick Climate Facts". It gives a brief synopsis of your county's basic climate data, including the average length of the growing season, some historical weather data, average freeze dates and average/record snowfall, rainfall and temperature data.

DETAILED CLIMATE INFORMATION: The second, also in PDF format, is "Detailed Climate Information". It gives expanded information and has a lot of helpful data for gardeners, including average soil temperatures for each month. It even gives a list of confirmed tornadoes for your county, and their strength as measured by the Fujita scale.

And, when you look at average dates, remember that a freeze or a frost can happen much earlier than even the earliest "average" date shown, so be prepared to carry in tropicals and cover other tender vegetation if an early freeze is threatening.

And, please remember that, under certain conditions, it is possible to have frost even when air temperatures are around 38 degrees. AND, if you are in a microclimate that gets cooler than average, you may have freeze or frost damage much earlier than other parts of your county.

Also, while on your county's main page, you can see some info on your county's mesonet station or stations, and your county's cooperative weather observer station or stations as well.

Hope the info on the OCS pages helps.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma Climatological Society

Comments (7)