SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Bean Curiosity........

gldno1
14 years ago

I have never read anything about beans cross pollinating until I went to the link George put up. Very interesting stuff.

Here is what happened in my garden this year.

I planted all Kwintus on my frame, all white seeds. I noticed when I began picking I had lots of long slender round pods.....Kwintus are long flat roma-like beans.

I decided a few weeks ago to just let the beans all dry for seeds and here is what I discovered:

The Kintus are white seeds, but the round podded ones are a light brown.

{{gwi:1129920}}

Here is a picture of them still growing and you can see both varieties in there:

{{gwi:1129921}}

Now I know I didn't mess up and mix seeds because the only bean with white seeds was the Kwintus and I had 26 seeds left and figured the planting to cover both sides of the panels.

Bean experts, what is happening here?

The result is I like the brown seeded one better! You can see in the photo how much better seed production they have than the Kwintus and they are a sounder seed. Many of Kwintus have to be tossed because they are flawed in some manner.

I am saving seeds of both. Lot of interest things happening in the garden this year!

Here is one more picture of the Trail of Tears Beans. I think it is a beautiful plant and the purple pods are spectacular.

{{gwi:1129922}}

Comments (17)