SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

'Emelia's Italian Pole Bean' a.k.a. 'Auntie Vi'

I found out where the Italian pole bean I'd been growing since 1965 came from quite by chance. I was talking to a co-worker of DH's one day out at a local flower show. He asked me what I'd been doing since I was no longer growing and showing dahlias. I told him I'd been bitten by the bean bug and it was all the fault of this Italian pole bean given me by a neighbour back in 65. The only information I had on it was that it came over from Italy in the early 1900s and had been grown in our southend neighbourhood since then. Dh's co-worker said they might be the beans his grandmother brought with her when she immigrated to Canada but wouldn't know for sure until he saw them. When I showed him the beans he confirmed that they were one of the beans his grandmother brought with her. The family no longer had them so I was happy I could give them another start.

His grandmother Mrs. Emelia Fulla brought them with her when she immigrated to Canada from the town of St. Peitro in the provence of Udine in Northern Italy. She and her husband lived on the first block of the same street we do only about a mile or so down the road.
I said I had given them a temporary name because I'd started sharing my seed with others but would like to change it, it didn't matter to him but after some thought I have decided to change the name I gave them to 'Emelia's Italian Pole Bean' in honour of the lady who's bean I have been growing and enjoying all these years.

This is the bean that started the ball rolling for me, in searching for the identity of this bean I ended up with many italian beans some I bought plus all the ones you guys have so kindly shared with me :), we came close with 'Uncle Steve's' but no cigar.
Now I'm hooked, I keep searching out heirloom and interesting sounding beans, some rare some not so rare and, if they won't grow for me I pass them on to someone who can.
I joined Seeds of Diversity a couple of years ago, have sent beans to local seed banks and do my best to help others find beans they might be looking for. (Whisper) I think I have upwards of 175 varieties in my collection now. I admit it I'm a bean addict LOL.

'Emelia's Italian Pole Bean' a.k.a. 'Aunti Vi'

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting