SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

My Italian Beans (Auntie VI) Part 2

I know I'm obsessed LOL, I've been growing this bean for over 40 years (I now think this seed came from northern Italy via an immigrant in 1911). I have never paid much attention to the color pattern on the seed coat, some are more spotted, some have more swirls and some are almost solid in color. I have always saved a few seed from all of the plants grown and just tossed them in the same container.

Since things are starting to slow down on the forum I'd thought I'd slip this in :). This year I took some of the solid colored seed and grew them separately in a half barrel. When I saw the color of this seed when shelling it looked a little different to what I was used to. I read somewhere weather can have something to do with the seed color looking a little different, I don't know. I found the link below showing some of the landraces from Italy the variety 'Billo' looks very much like the ones I grew separately from my main crop. This one has violet spots and swirls as to the reddish color I'm used to seeing on my saved seed. Here's a picture of seed I grew separately and a picture of a few seeds from my main crop. I thought those of you that I given seed to might be interested. I think I will keep growing the violet colored seed separately and see what happens.

Seed grown separately

{{gwi:1035693}}

Main crop

{{gwi:1035694}}
Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Landraces of Common Beans

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery