SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Blue Lake Green Bean germination-Curiosity

I've only been planting Blue Lake Bush beans for a long time. I've noticed that the first planting, usually a week or two before last frost date-whatever that means with climate change. The first planting has good germination little if any holes to replant. Second planting germination is less and there's always replanting to do. I buy seed in bulk at a local farm supply and have been satisfied with results.

What I know about seeds and germination is that they need moisture, not cold to warm soil and all should be well. Second planting was about two weeks ago, just replanted holes. The soil is now warmer than earlier, checked moisture with gauge and it's fine. We eliminated the big garden due to age and have some 4X12 raised beds which suffices for our needs. If anything, the soil in the raised beds is better than the original garden. As stated this germination issue has been consistent in the garden or raised beds. Zone 7, SE Ohio so the soil isn't too hot.

I've been gardening for 60 years, please don't comment on only use "certified seed from...." or "how seeds should be stored...." etc.

Curious if anyone else has noticed this? When we did successive plantings of sweet corn germination was consistent, only seems to be the Blue Lake Beans.

Thanks for your time.

Comments (5)