SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caribbeancupcake

I want to eradicate the aphids not give them a wash and dry!

Alyce Venice
17 years ago

Dear Experts,

I have a very large established garden at our rental villa on St. John. Every year for the last five years the aphids infest my bougainvillas and this year worse than ever.With the aphids I also have black mold. I have read everything in this forum and in the tropical forum about how to get rid of them. I have actually powerwashed the plants.Sprayed with insecticidal soap and neem repeatedly. These bougainvillas are massive and maintained at about six feet high with at least a ten foot spread.All of the lower branches are trimmed to allow for air movement and keeping any small invasive vines from growing up the bush.I put granular insecticide at the base of each tree last fall and all are mulched hoping this would help but no improvement.By some miracle they have not infested all the other plants. I have hundreds of orchids on this property as well as every other tropical plant you can imagine.What big guns can I use to get rid of these critters? In addition I have no irrigation on the bougainvillas. They are so established and are in constant bloom unless we get alot of rain. Could withholding water cause them so much stress they are susceptible to aphids?All suggestions valued.

Comments (2)