SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
libbyliz_gw

Jumping spiders galore!

LibbyLiz
17 years ago

Hubby & I had to sidestep about 6-ft off the front sidewalk to avoid having a thumbnail size jumping spider (black with white stripes & green jaws/fangs) land on us as it came from the roof above the garage. It eventually made its way inside & I captured it & put it back outside.

There's another one about 3/4 its size that also made its way inside & was captured & put back outside.

Son & I were out front in the same area as the green-fanged jumper & saw two gray jumpers "greeting & playing hide & seek" with each other. It was funny to watch & reminded us of the crabs on Finding Nemo! They were approx 1/3 the size of the first spider.

Then today I was watering a potted plant on my patio out back & from the lobelia comes another, about 1/2 the size of the first. And in the same pot was a different one the size of the first or slightly bigger (grayish-black with one white dot on its rounded abdomen).

I left both alone, but the big one seemed to follow me around on the patio as I backed away from it, jumping from the pot I found it in, to a patio chair, to another chair closest to me. Rather than have it land on me I went inside.

Then after coming in I saw a gray one dangling from the stovetop!

I'm finding more & more of these jumpers, giants & babies, gray, & black & white, inside & outside the house.

Why after two years of finding only a few baby jumpers & teasing/playing with them, am I seeing grand-daddy jumpers?! Did they grow that quickly since then?

They're the only spider I like, but their sheer numbers all of a sudden & them making their way inside quite often are starting to creep me out!

Comments (6)