SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Recent News on Tomato Late Blight Epidemic

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

Yesterday, I spent some time searching the internet for recent news on the epidemic of tomato late blight affecting gardeners in the eastern part of our nation. I was curious about how far west and south it had traveled, and below is a summary of what I found.

When I first started reading about the emergence of this disease in the northeastern states (around late June or early July), it was reported to be in the following states:

1. New York

2. Connecticut

3. Rhode Island

4. Massassachusetts

5. New Hampshire

6. Vermont

7. Maine

8. New Jersey

9. Pennsylvania

10. Delaware

11. Maryland

12. Ohio

13. West Virginia

14. Virginia

15. North Carolina

16. South Carolina

Since then it has been confirmed in the following states:

17. Michigan

18. Indiana

19. Kentucky

20. Tennessee

21. Alabama ( reported earlier in the spring, then the heat knocked it out, and I didn't find any reports on a later re-emergence of it yet)

22. Wisconsin

23. Georgia

24. *Florida (actually was reported there in January)

So, as you can see this incurable plant disease is slowing spreading southward, and a bit westward as well.

Could it happen here?

Sure, but only if we cool off some (and eventually it does cool off here). I don't think I've ever had a confirmed case of late blight on my tomatoes here, but I've had it on potatoes.

Late Blight thrives in temperatures between 50 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit, particularly when those temperatures are accompanied by frequent rain, fog, dew and high humidity (especially when humidity is over 90%).

The most ideal conditions for development/spread of this disease is when you have high humidity/rain, etc. and temperatures in the mid 50s at night and between the mid-50s and mid-70s during the day time.

Late Blight spreads quickly via windblown spores.

I think all any of us can do is read about it, look at photos of the symptoms, and keep an eye on our thermometers. Once the temperatures are in the right range, then we'll have to watch carefully for its appearance on our plants. If it is going to appear here, we should see it slowly progress westward and southward towards us as cooler fall temperatures arrive. That should give us some warning.

I know from reading other forums and news reports that in many of the states listed above, Late Blight has affected plants (tomatoes for sure, and generally potatoes as well) in every single county in the state. It is heartbreaking for affected gardeners who see this disease strike and wipe out their entire tomato and/or potato planting in about 2 to 5 days. I cannot even imagine what it is like for commercial growers. (Hope they had crop insurance!)

From what I've read, many farmer's markets and CSAs in the affected areas have little to no local tomatoes for sale at any price. If you can find them, fresh, locally-grown tomatoes in the affected areas are going for incredibly high prices.

I've linked Cornell's website. They've been at the absolute forefront in getting information out to the masses.

I hope none of us see this appear in our gardens this fall, but we need to be aware it could happen, and we need to know what to do if it does appear.

I know that I am grateful for every tomato I harvest every year, and even more so this year when so many home gardeners in so many states have worked just as hard in their gardens as we have here, and yet will not harvest one single tomato from it.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell Info on Late Blight

Comments (6)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!