SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petronilla0801

Fungus Gnats, can you bare with one more question?

petronilla0801
10 years ago

Hi Folks -

I am a garden newbie and have already read 17 different threads on fungus gnats here this morning, and am a bit confused on how to proceed. I could use some collected advice before I begin my gnat "killing spree."

OK - so, we are container gardening on the 16th floor terrace of a high-rise. Fair amount of wind at all times. We have a mix of mostly vegetables (tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, brussel sprouts, bush beans, white icicle radishes, cucumbers, basil, kale, swiss chard, baby lettuce, peppers, chocolate mint, marigolds, nasturtiums). We have about 13, 12 quart pots.

Everything has been growing very nicely since May (started from seed in peet pots) and all starting to flower. And then, about a week or so ago the gnats came. It's an infestation.

Problem 1 - we are DEFINITELY using the wrong soil - we are using a Miracle Grow potting mix that is too dense and holds too much water. We'll remedy that next year, but I don't think we can replant everything now, especially based on cost of replacing all that soil and how much would need to be replanted. I don't even know how to replant the zucchini - it's so big!

Problem 2 - I think we have been watering too much, but have been really scared to let them dry out (wind and about 6 hours every day of direct sun). We've been using the 2nd knuckle method, if that top couple of inches is dry, we water.

I've read about: Gnatrol, cinnamon, bleach, apple cider vinegar, gravel and other coverings on top of the soil, peroxide watering, changing the soil completely, drying out the soil, peppermint solutions (tea and oil/extract), mosquito dunks and I think that's everything?

So, I'm just not sure where to begin and which combination of things to try.

I don't think we can let the soil dry out completely to kill the larvae, the pots are too big and the soil is too dense. That could take weeks, and don't things like tomatoes and zucchini need a bunch of watering?

I was thinking: sprinkle cinnamon on the top of the soil, then getting something to lightly cover the tops (gravel or moss) so they can't get out of the soil when they hatch, use some apple cider vinger (already started) around the pots to catch the large gnats, and then maybe also use Gnatrol for a few weeks when watering?

I'm trying not to spend a fortune or waste too much time w/ things that I am not sure will work. I've also mostly been reading about gnats in house plants and not in containers. And no one seems to have them on veggies - so I am worried about applying Gnatrol to things we will eventually be eating (the peppermint and cinnamon seem fine).

Lastly, since everything has been growing fine and is fairly mature, will the gnats really damage the plants?

Help?

Thanks so much!

Comments (17)