SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjedwards_gw

Groundhogs + Electric Fence

kjedwards
16 years ago

After much speculation, last weekend we finally saw the critter that was eating my vine plants--a groundhog (GH) the size of a large football, at 1 pm in the afternoon in the middle of my garden.

To start the story, I think Fatboy (FB) (I actually call him something much worse I cannot repeat here) relocated from my neighbor's yard above me once he started shooting at the GH in his yard. So now FB is my problem.

Before we saw him, we tried human urine (with some success but too much effort), hot pepper spray (no success) and epsom salts (no success).

We have borrowed a Havahart from the local DHR and have had it out since Tuesday night of this past week with no success. I have tried several techniques and steps mentioned on this board including cantaloupe and broccoli, baiting from the hole to the trap and covering the inside floor of the trap with leaves and dirt. No success so far.

Guns are out of the question. My hubby and I both work and are not home enough to wait for it AND we do not own nor has either of us ever shot a gun. For example, in the 4+ weeks it has been feeding in my yard, last weekend was the first time I had seen it. It usually comes overnight while we are sleeping.

I saw another post here where someone had installed an electric fence aronud their garden but it didn't say if they had success. I am thinking this might be a good option for us. My only concern is our cat (who, bless her heart, keeps our yard free of moles/voles)--I would not want her to get hurt.

If anyone can give me some advice on electric fences and groundhogs, I would appreciate it. My other option, which I may do regardless, is to use a couple of smoke bombs.

PS, I do not mind killing these critters. I consider myself a humane person--all three of my domestic animals were rescues--but I lump GH in with the rodents they are and I think rodents need to be exterminated.

Thanks in advace for any advice!

Comments (7)