SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1dahlia4me

Replanting after failed germination -- tell me it's not too late!

1dahlia4me
12 years ago

I planted pepper seeds, hot and sweet, 3-4 weeks ago. Almost all the varieties of sweet peppers germinated (as did most of my eggplants, which I planted at the same time), but only one kind of hot pepper did anything. (Roper2008, if you're reading this, the one variety that germinated was the Aji Crystal you sent me via another forum -- thank you so much!)

It has finally dawned on me that the others aren't going to germinate, so I replanted (a few retries and some different varieties too) yesterday.

I know a lot of you are super-serious about your peppers and start in January, but these should still grow and produce in time, right? I'm in zone 7A, northern VA. They're on heat, in a good starting mix, covered with plastic, and they'll be under a grow light or fluorescent lights when they germinate (which is better? I have both) after they germinate. Our county extension recommends planting in mid-May, so almost 8 weeks. They are mild to moderate peppers, nothing super hot. Do I need to admit defeat and buy some plants, or will these be OK if they germinate?

Comments (12)

Sponsored