SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agirlsgirl

Is it too late for me to summer sow?

agirlsgirl
15 years ago

Hi! I really wanted to have my summer sowing done or at least mostly done by now,but I haven't sowed one seed yet!!!!! Is it too late for me in my zone to start this weekend? Would I be better off waiting and ws'ing them?

I appreciate any advice! :)

TIA,

Angie

Comments (49)

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Gosh Angie..you are just like the energizer bunny.you keep going and going and going....LOL

Good luck I hope you have time..plant something Ill like so I can beg for it next summer...ROFLMBO

So, what are you gonna try and grow ?

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Kym! You remember that box of seeds I had that I hadn't started yet? All of those!!!!...lol...

I am just hoping I get the word it is ok,I really would hate to have to wait another 2 years before I see them bloom!

I think I will have lots of them you like,and of course you are welcome to whatever I have! :)

• Related Discussions

Too Late to Direct Sow Zinnias?

Q

Comments (7)
    I have that same type of clay soil and to get seeds growing in it is sometimes difficult especially in full sun. If the mulching trick suggestion doesn't work you can always ammend your soil with maybe some topsoil or even potting soil. What I have to do is actually grow my plants in my make shift growing area that I incorporated from a few winter sowers. It consist of a pan and water bottles I cut my water bottles in half and on the bottom for vents and add soil and seeds I water by just putting water in the pan. Granted it is not direct sowing but I seem to have my best luck with either growing my seeds this way or in my afternoon shade beds then transplanting. Trying to keep up with watering a seedling in full sun is not fun and they need the moisture or they will not grow. By the way I think from your first frost date you should have plenty of time to grow and collect seeds from your plant before your frost hits.
    ...See More

Is it too late in the year to sow Black Eyed Susan seeds?

Q

Comments (3)
    I assume you are talking about Rudbeckia hirta seeds? No, it's not too late. I have winter-sown these and they are hardy seedlings and sprout fairly early. I plant them out in May and usually have blooms by mid-July or so. You will probably get blooms later in the season instead. Also, some may act like a biennial and will likely over-winter and give you a good show next year. They like good drainage, and will tolerate some drought, but since this is a bird bath garden, it's easy to give them a shot of water when you're changing the water in the bird bath. Just a note about bird baths (I am an avid backyard birder) - if you have cats or hawks that frequent your yard, bird baths need to be out in the open, where the birds are able to keep a good eye on predators that may be soaring or crouching behind a perennial. They also need some cover nearby to dash into in case a hawk attacks - a dense shrub is good.
    ...See More

What do you late spring/summer sow?

Q

Comments (8)
    The FAQs have a nice list of flowers - annuals, biennials, perennials - for spring and summer sowing. No veggies listed, but I'd think that any of the cole crops (collards, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) should do OK. Snap peas and snow peas; carrots, lettuce, spinach. There are probably lots more; just google "winter vegeatbles" and you should get a good number of hits. And pippi - yes, the method is the same. You just have to more aware of moisture, and heat buildup in the containers. So, vent more and water more - and try to keep them where they won't be assaulted by the midday sun. PV Here is a link that might be useful: Spring/Summer Sowing
    ...See More

too late to sow butterfly weed?

Q

Comments (3)
    they'll be fine for our area they might be a bit behind on the growth curve, but you shouldn't have any problems ~ freshair
    ...See More
  • PVick
    15 years ago

Hurry, hurry - you've got about 4 weeks left of summer! And, don't forget - there's fall sowing too! LOL!

PV

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PV,thanks! That is just what I needed to hear,(*BIG smiles*)! :D
    This weekend it will be me,the seeds and milk jugs,the family better forget I exsist! ...lol.....thanks again!

• etravia
    15 years ago

Angie, I started hollyhocks, flax, & monarda 2 weeks ago, and they sprouted in about 4 days! So go for it! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! I'm a zone lower than you too!
    PS. I just sent you an e-mail about some poppies :)
    Maggie

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Maggie,you are right,I am going for it! :)
    I got your email and sent you a reply! ttys!

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Enjoy your seed planting weekend angie. Let us all know how you make out.....A nice quiet weekend.....

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

Is summer sowing just like winter sowing??? do you still cover the top ??? do ya make larger air vents ????

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Hi Angie!

I dont think its too late, Im still doing some perennials. A bunch dried up and croaked while we were away, but Im still going to try and reseed them. They outta germinate like mad in this warm weather.

Get busy tho, the weather's whacked and they need all the time they can get.

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

ok, I need to know...if you are sowing them now...will you be planting them out before winter comes, or leaving them in the jugs till spring ?

I envy those of you that are still sowing ! I am feeling bad that my plants are still in pots..

Angie, I was just teasing you about coming for plants..LOL

Have a good weekend sowing seeds...cant wait to hear how you make out !

Kym

PS can you tell Devin a praying Mantis baby landed on our kitchen window yesterday

• dorisl
    15 years ago

good question, kym, Ill prolly sow enough that I can diversify. Plant some out, keep some jugs outside and maybe put some in the garage and see if any of them make it.

• mo_girl
    15 years ago

Angie: Go for it! It's worth a try.

I am trying to choose annuals that bloom quickly or perennials/biennials that don't need cold stratification. I am trying nasturtiums, calendula, marigolds, and alyssum for my annuals. I hope I get a chance to see them bloom, but it's been cooler around here than usual.

Right now is a great time for hollyhocks and canterbury bells, that way you have a good chance of seeing them flower next year. I have heard others suggest sweet william as well.

Also, I am trying another sowing of cilantro, since it's an herb that likes cooler weather. Now is a great time to sow lettuce and spinach as well.

Lillyjane and Kym:

For summer sowing, you will want to plant them now, with no lids. Seedlings could die if they get too warm in the containers. You can do them in containers with no lids or even just direct sow.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes Barb! I told the boys they need to find something to do tomorrow...lol...since it is hot here now,they are going swimming at a friends! Glad they took me seriously,I didn't want to get forceful...lol...my daughter is not an issue,she is 15 and I forget she is here sometimes! ;)

Jan,good questions,I more than likely would be here asking the same ones tomorrow A.M.! I have a nice area that gets dappled light at the top of my yard,that is where I will sit them,some that I want to keep an eye on will stay on the covered porch.I will follow mo's advice also! :)

Yes Doris the weather is crazy! I read the "acorn" thread and it put me into a full blown panic,hence the reason for this thread...lol...I am going to do as many as possible this weekend and those that dont get done will be for ws'ing! Oh wish me luck! :)

Kym,I hope to get them in the ground before winter,I plan to do a nice amount of ws'ing this season and will need those jugs! I am reusing many from last ws season,I was so happy I didn't have to throw most of them away! :) You may have been teasing,but I am not! I mean it lady! If you want you just ask! ;) Devin is so happy for you...lol..his eyes got as wide as saucers,he wants to know what color yours is!...lol..

Thanks Mo! All of you guys and your encouraging words have really put my mind at ease! I REALLY appreciate it! I pulled out all the seed that needs a cold strat,they will be ws. Alot of them I have are different colors and/or types of ones I have already started,I seen how fast they germinated and figure they would be my best bet! More Verbascum for me...lol...I really do love that stuff! I forgot about my lettuce! Thanks for the reminder!

Again,thank you all so much,I swear you guys are the greatest! :)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Our ground here wasn't even frozen last January. It finally froze in February and knowing that I still have 3 months of nice weather, I'd be doing more if I hadn't commited to DH to planting all I still have in pots before anything else is bought or sown.

He's on the verge of finding my secret stash of newly sown seeds. I know that when he does he'll come see me with a big grin on his face and say, "Couldn't help yourself, could you?" at which point we'll both chuckle. :O) What a sweetie he is!

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Angie the mantis was only about 3 inches long, and it looked brown.

I dont know how you all keep up with all the planting and sowing...LOL

Good Luck Angie with sowing this weekend !

Last year we didnt have a hard freeze for a long time ...but I fear winter is going to be early this year..

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"He's on the verge of finding my secret stash of newly sown seeds. I know that when he does he'll come see me with a big grin on his face and say, "Couldn't help yourself, could you?" at which point we'll both chuckle. :O) What a sweetie he is!"

That is too funny!......Of course he is a sweetie,he is married to you,right! :)
    Ok, if you are good in Canada,then I feel like a fool questioning it here in PA!

Ok Kym,I will let Devin know! He is going to be jealous you got a brown one though!

"I dont know how you all keep up with all the planting and sowing...LOL"
    I am probably going to disintegrate soon!

I love winter,I just would like it to wait a little longer for me,so I can get it set up for next year! We will see!

• terrene
    15 years ago

LOL at Tiffy's "secret stash"!

Can't really offer any advice Agirlsgirl, I still have too many things in my WS nursery - mostly in small pots, but a few are even in their original WS containers. In fact, I've even gotten a few new sprouts lately (Columbine, and Centaurea americana - American basketflower). Can't even THINK about sowing anything more at this point! :)

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Unlike some, I do use "lids" - i.e. the top portion of the milk jug, no screw on cap. I just keep them in complete shade to avoid overheating but keep humidity high.

Karen

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

Angie,

I am glad I found this post.
    I too was wondering if I could directly sow seeds into
    the ground. Or should I start some in milk jugs?

I do want to sow some lettuce and cilantro in pots for a fall crop of lettuce.

Maggie,
    Can you tell me what kind of Monarda you started?
    4 days germination?
    I was really wanting some monarda and was wondering at
    the variety you are planting and where you found seeds?

Thanks,
    Mary
    z 5b KS

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

I'm so glad this post is still going I was inspired by you agirlsgirl and started summer sowing and have continued. I have coneflowers, sweet williams, lavender, spearmint, trumpet vine, heuchera, coreopsis and dianthis so far. I keep meaning to stop then finding out something else is seeding at this time of year. In fact you reminded me I need to start some holly hocks, must get more dirt. Or I could direct sow. I'd have to keep my husband from mowing them though and I have no mulch to keep out the weeds.

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

OH and the white campanula my sister in law gave me, I should plant some of those before I lose the tiny tiny seeds.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

I have never sown past the fourth of July - but this year I made an exception. I have sea holly and asclepias going going going. I also have a ton of nice plants that I probably won't be taking to the swap due to Ohio State football conflicts (BUCKS won today - we were there and I am sporting a sunburn and a wallet slimming). If anyone in the Columbus area wants plants or wants plants to take to the swap let me know.

• chrizty
    15 years ago

late summer-fall is the best time for sowing biennials:) they can grow the foliage this year for blooms next year.

• etravia
    15 years ago

Mary, I don't know the variety of Monarda. It was from a trade, but I'm hoping it is like the deep pink that I already have. I started 2 containers. I potted up 6 pots from one of the containers, and left the others in the milk jug. I just love the insects it attracts!
    Maggie

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I sowed all of the seeds for summer sowing and have sprouts already! :) A few Foxglove,Campanula,Purple Prarie Clover,Siberian Wallflower,a couple Monardas,most of my Hollyhocks,all the verbascum,chocolate daisy,globe thistle and the Columbine are swelling! Woo Hoo!:)
    I am glad this thread has been helpful and or inspiring,so many have done that for me,it is nice I can return the favor!

• gnomey
    15 years ago

wow agg - you were busy! I'm very tempted to start a couple of things now too. You're a zone and a half or so north of me.. so I should be okay to do some tomorrow while I have the day off. I totally forgot that you can do hollyhocks and foxglove now! I also have a few globe thistle, but I've been nervous about them because I've heard they have a low germ. rate and I only have a few seeds. Should I take the plunge?

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gnomey! Take the plunge! I found the Globe Thistle to have a great germination rate,go for it,if yours dont make it,we can always replace the seeds cant we? :D
    Got your email,I will be in touch tomorrow,off to the Drive In to see Space Monkeys,Wally and Journey to the Center of the Earth! Woo-Hoo! Got to get those munchies together! ;)

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

So much fun, well I haven't gotten the last two things I want to sow before I quit (stop laughing I really might quit sowing, maybe). I did get DH's approval for more dirt though.

I forgot to say that I planted mixed mesclun and it came up like two days later. At the end of the month I will finally have salad to go with my tiny tomatoes.

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

Maggie,
    Thanks for your reply. I have to order Russian Holly Hock
    seeds for a friend and wanted to order a Monarda for myself
    before it's too late in the season.

However, if it is not too late to start seeds....that would
    be so much cheaper!

Thanks,
    Mary

• token28001
    15 years ago

Hate to bump, but Can I sow:

Echinacea
    Rudbeckia varieties
    conflowers (red, white, got them in trades)?

Do they need cold first? What other perennial flowers can I sow now in NC 7b and have blooms next summer? I've already got hollyhocks from the seeds I sowed this spring.

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Glad this thread is not dead yet.
    I am going to sow some Daylily seeds today, and since
    Echinacea seeds can be sown? I have some from a friend
    that I can maybe just scratch and sow today as well.

I got my order from Diane's seeds yesterday and am
    excited for next season.

Mary
    z 5b KS

• daisy08(London UK)
    15 years ago

my summer sown sweet williams and pansies are cute little plants now. i have planted the pansies on pots. what about sweet william? is it necessary to plant them on ground for going through winter or can i put those also in pots. the flower bed still has annuals flowering and i don't feel like removing those flowering plants till they die by frost on their own.

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

I have some summer sown purple coneflower sprouting away. A few true leaves now. I did finally plant the holly hocks and campanula. The holly hocks are coming up, at least half, the other half from a different source are hiding out. No luck on the campanula so far either, I'll let it sit till spring.
    Oh buy my trumpet vine is all sprouting and has it's first true leaves too.

Anyone else have updates on what is growing and what isn't?

• PVick
    15 years ago

daisy08 - you can put your Sweet Williams in pots too; I did and they did just fine.

I sowed some salvia 'mojeto' (biennial) and they are working on their second/third sets of true leaves. Also did some oakleaf hydrangea from a friend and my own astilbe seeds. Nothing there yet, though ...

PV

• daisy08(London UK)
    15 years ago

PV,

thanks a lot. i will clean up the pots and start planting sweet williams in it. i feel so much confident in doing anything after hearing that someone has done it and it has worked :)

i have seen all the pics of plants in your balcony. they are amazing. tell me one thing. do u wintersow in the containers directly or first wintersow in milk jugs etc and then later transplant into containers.

• PVick
    15 years ago

daisy - you're welcome. i mostly WS in containers/jugs and transplant to the permanent pots later, but i've also WSed directly to the permanent pots on occasion. it works fine both ways, but i prefer using the containers/jugs and then transplanting; i usually have seedlings to give away and it's easier to separate them from starter pots than digging them out of their permanent homes.

PV

• daisy08(London UK)
    15 years ago

yes. that makes sense.

yesterday i planted all the sweet william seedlings into pots. my neighbours would be wondering what is this. 24 pots of sweet williams in the backyard!
    let them wonder. this will mentally prepare them to see a big lot of milk jugs and all sorts of junk boxes in the winter :)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"....let them wonder. this will mentally prepare them to see a big lot of milk jugs and all sorts of junk boxes in the winter :)"

LMAO.........:D

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Just wanted to say the campanula finally sprouted. Does anyone have advice on poppies? Should I try starting them now. I also have a sedum and heuchera I'd love to get started, but was worried they might not have all the time they need.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Folks, this is awfully late to be summer sowing. I am a big fan of spring and summer sowing, but I generally quit by July 4th. I would hold off until winter.

• daisy08(London UK)
    15 years ago

don't know what to call it if i sow now - summer sow, autumn sow???
    i had lost my sweet peas seeds packet and on sunday when i was walking along a road i saw some almost dried sweet peas plants with few beautiful flowers and full of seedpods outside a deserted house. desperate me, i immediately picked up some seed pods. now i am wondering is it too late to sow sweet peas? shall i sow them now or wait till feb/march.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

I will begin my final planting out today. Cool temps, warm soil and fall rains should take care of my junior plants.

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Something started eating my little sprouts, so I have been moving them all into the ground. We didn't have rain for a bit and I wasn't prompt enough with my watering so I lost some. Hopefully some will recover. The sweet williams have grown quite a bit. The purple coneflower looks healthy, and the trumpet vine so far.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got a lot of my new babies in the ground over the last couple days also,I also planted out some of my older babies, too.I got a holding bed ready for them where my pumpkins have been residing,and the rest of my summer sown babies will get in the ground before the end of the weekend. Some of my cell packs are still empty with no sign of germination,so those guys will stay put for winter sowing!

• ollierose
    15 years ago

It's intersting to read the array of comments here. It seems to me that sowing seed at various times of year would depend on what zone you are in, yard conditions, sowing method, etc. Angie sowed her seeds in late August, while bakemom won't sow after July 4th. Both are in the same zone, but both appear to have their fall sowing well under control and proven success.

I'm in zone 7 and I'm planning to start some perennials in containers at the end of October. They'll go into the greenhouse over the winter and can continue to grow.

Good luck to all! It would be great if we all could continue to post our good (or bad) fortune with starting seeds at various times of year. Maybe include zone, yard, sow method, etc. and it could help a lot of other gardeners out! We'll be growing year around no matter what part of the world we're in before you know it!! :)

Diana

• daisy08(London UK)
    15 years ago

i did not have patience and i sowed sweet pea seeds today morning.

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Well, I finally dug out a bed for the holly hock seedlings. So all that's left is the white campanula which is too tiny to separate just now. The darn squirrels keep digging in my seedlings to hide their acorns. It's so annoying. Maybe I'll have a talk with my dog. The cat actually brought a squirrel home over the weekend. He was very proud of himself.
    Oh and I planted out my strawberry starts yesterday.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow floodthelast! You have been busy! :)
    I still have a few things to plant out,I got most of them in though,my plan of having them all done by the end of the weekend did not happen! My smaller seedlings I put in all together in a grouping,that way I can just separate them all next year,seems they all appreciate being in the ground and have begun to grow already! Anywhere I am afraid the chipmunks will dig up,I sprinkled coffee grounds,I am more and more convinced smaller rodents do not like them at all,they play out there all day and dig away,but where the coffee grounds are,nothing,they avoid it! I do believe this is what put a stop to my vole problem. It does not work on bunnies at all,and I am not sure about squirrels either,I dont have any issues with them digging in my beds,just at the crest of the yard where they think I should have a million oak trees...lol..

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Hmm I have put some coffee ground down I'll have to get my husband to drink more. I have been outside when I can, it is getting colder, besided I didn't even mention all the bulbs planted, perennials divided and moved and the new arbour made from fallen wood for the morning glories next year. Oh and I'm putting dirt in stuff for my first WS. Anything to avoid those dishes and being stuck in the house. My toddler hates being inside as much as I do and I don't know what will happen when he can't spend half his day being pushed in his swing outside. At least he likes gardening. Hmm way off topic, at least I don't have bunnies.

Sponsored