SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

I'm trying an Azara on the east coast - tell me I'll fail!

davidrt28 (zone 7)
11 years ago

This is probably one of the last classic maritime climate plants I haven't already killed.
For the record, the only ones that will persist are Escallonias, especially the very tough cultivar 'Apple Blossom'. Even it gets some winter injury here, though, but recovers fairly quickly. Wind seems more the problem than absolute cold - I haven't been below 7F in 7 years. The various Chilean Berberis will persist for a few years, but either a winter or summer then gets them...possibly they are already dying going into winter. Eucryphias are heart breakingly impossible...I suspect a 50% Australian hybrid could survive the summers, but it would never survive the winters. E. glutinosa could probably survive the winters, most of them anyhow, but the summers just pound the c--p out of it. Besides it's probably not as showy as the hybrids. I've resigned myself to Gordolinia as a poor _substitution_ (flowers don't really look the same, or come at the same time of year) but an interesting plant all the same.

But I was perusing some online catalog and noticed that Azaras are in the Salicaceae, yes, the freakin willow family. That should impart some toughness to their constitution. So, I'll give it a wall-o-water its first winter, some shade in summer, and see what happens.

The order of East Coast impossibility goes something like:
Chile
New Zealand
South Africa
Australia
California

Chile simply doesn't get very hot, ever. Even Santiago's ATRH is staples{{gwi:807}} in the SE, like Crocosmia & Crinum. But a number of the shrubs are no go in the east. Particularly the proteas; even a protea that should have some humidity resistance, like Protea caffra, dies very easily here. OTOH, the Australia mainland has Wollemias that are also dying here - but I consider that an outlier. It's an inbred relic species. Some of their Proteaceae are much, much tougher than they should be...I know someone who had a Lomatia myricoides in DC for years, and he wasn't someone who coddles his plants. Even the alpine Eucalyptus are rather tough if they have well-drained soil.

I rate California so low because 2 of its iconic conifers do very well in zn 7 if handled correctly: coast redwood and incense cedar. Sequoiadendron can grow in zn 6 & 5. Even if a lot of other things don't do well, that counts for something. Futhermore, a fair # of forbs & geophytes from California do better than they should, provided you give them good drainage. California is still stuck on the same continent as us East Coasters, and I think its plants are more used to arbitrary swings in temperature than other maritime climates.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 16:55

Comments (10)