SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

safest way to deal with wood roaches?

dirtgirl
16 years ago

Hi everyone.

We live in the middle of woods, barely any lawn at all. I love it. I also know that being a person who gets along just fine with most crawling things is a big plus. We have a problem with wood roaches showing up indoors and I go through this every year when the temps start to warm up. I know that this kind of roach does not usually become a plague like the other much-admired varieties, but that knowledge won't be much of a comfort when I have house guests and they spot one on the carpet. These things just seem to wander around the house like they aren't sure what they are supposed to be doing, and they seldom run when you walk up to get them. Oftentimes they are on their backs, dying, although we have not had any chemicals other than terro for ants indoors for years. I rarely ever see any on countertops or in food storage areas like you would expect with common roaches. THe resources I have checked even advise AGAINST chemical treatment in the house for wood roaches because the risks outweigh the need. I hate having anything BUT the inside of the house treated because the chemicals most often employed by industrial sprayers are non-targeting pesticides and kill just about anything they touch. Believe it or not I love my spiders!

SO....does anyone have any insight for me...do you know of a chemical available that uses biological controls such as growth inhibitors/sterilizing agents? Like the stuff in Frontline for fleas, I'm thinking...? I even considered trying laying out Terro for them, but this kind of roach is a little different and I don't know if they are attracted to sweet baits like others.

Every time in the past we had an exterminator come out and I just HATED the thought of randomly killing everything. My tree frogs huddle up during the day right along the trim of the house where the guy always sprayed and I KNOW that stuff could not be doing them any good, either.

Love to hear form you.

Comment (1)