SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kudzu9

How to deal with wasp nest?

kudzu9
14 years ago

Last night I heard some noises coming from above the ceiling on the second story. It was a sort of rustling sound, and I thought I might have a mouse or a bird up in the attic. Today I went outside to see if any of the ventilation hole caps were missing. None were, but I did notice a couple of wasps flying around up in that corner. When I looked closer, it looked like they had made about a 1" hole through the wood siding and were probably building a nest inside. First off, do I have to worry about the wasps doing further structural damage in the attic to my rafters? Second, I'm thinking of getting rid of them by waiting until it gets dark out and cooler (when I assume they may be active inside but not flying around outside) and go up on a ladder with a spray can of wasp killer. I thought I'd plug most of the hole with a rag and then shoot the spray inside. Given that I'll have to be on a ladder, I recognize I'll have to be ready for a quick descent, but I will be wearing protective clothing and an enclosed face shield that I use for dust protection in my wood shop. Can anyone suggest improvements or alternatives to this plan, short of calling a professional? Thanks.

Comments (20)