SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaakh

found worm like things in my pots help?

shaakh
15 years ago

I brought two citrus trees one lemon one orange and they were fine until i potted them into larger containers.they are patio varieties that only produce small fruits but when they arrived they were fine and when i potted them out the lemon leaves just started dropping off but i thought is was due to weather so i brought them both inside over the winter period as they can be on windowsills.the lemon one just slowly turned into a twig and the orange did the oposite it flowered(lovely citurs fragrance)

i just kept watering and feeding the lemon tree in hope it would come back to life but nothing after 4months but i still kept it there and then i noticed that the orange tree started doing the same and i got worried so i just kept picking up the leaves confused and then i found a tiny pink worm on one and thought i'd check the soil as i used miracle grow when i originally potted them.

So i pulled them out to re pot and i placed them in a small bucket temporarily soaking in water whilst they were soaking i noticed two more worms one about 5cm long and 2mm max in width and the other trying to pop out the roots with pink head or tail to be truthfull i got scared and left them there

i was in shock that these worms are in the pot and the pot had only ever been in my green house on a shelf no where near the ground so how did the worm get there i don't know what to do.

i originally used miracle grow compost and i read in some online forum that someone found some kind of eggs in a bag of miracle gro compost and the company claimed it was just the granules of fertiliser but i did discover these small brownish eggs that popped when you squeeze them and i thought nothing of it at the time.

but thinking back my husband reminded me that my pepper plant and tomato plant both failed to grow healthly and the fruits failed to ripen and just shrivelled and turned brown(bear in mind although i am a beginner to gardening i have sucessly grown tomatoes and sweetcorn and herbs in my first year of gardening with brilliant results and i did not use miracle grow compost)could this have been the cause as i used normal compost in my dwarf apple and pear trees and they havent died as yet the pear is doing quite well...

should i save the orange tree will it be safe to eat the fruit if it does start fruiting or just buy new ones and use a different compost brand?and what do i do with the worm like things? they are curently enjoying the compost in the pot

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH