SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Excessive Heat Warning for NE & Eastern OK Thru Thurs P.M.

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning for several counties in northeastern and eastern Oklahoma and the adjacent counties in Arkansas.

I've linked the text of the heat warning below.

Those of y'all in this area, please be very careful to cool off frequently (come inside to do so if you can) when working outside, work in the earlier and later parts of the day when it is cooler, work in the shade when you can, and stay well-hydrated. Wear a hat. When it is this hot, I like to wear a cool collar or wet bandana around my neck or even just drape a wet hand towel or wash cloth around it. Be extra vigilant about watering your plants too, and remember that pets and livestock can suffer greatly during periods of excessive heat too. I'm not even in the excessive heat warning area, but I can tell you that it is very hot here and I am already taking all these precautions myself.

Oklahoma's heat can be quite brutal and quite dangerous at times, and can be just as serious of a threat to you and your family, your animals and your landscape as the more common ice storms, thunderstorms, flooding and tornadoes that are such common events in our climate.

Remember, too, that this heat is terribly hard on the soil. I saw soil temperatures on the soil temperature map today in the upper 90s, so mulch, mulch, mulch!

Finally, expect to see some daytime wilting of plants that are subjected to this period of intense heat. They can wilt even though the soil around them is moist. The key is that they generally perk up once the sun starts to go down and the temperatures begin to fall. If your plants remain wilted as it cools off, they need water....or something to help them through the stress. If they are in full sun you can give the some shade relief by draping light colored bedsheets or curtains over them to shade them.

Finally, if you're like me and you have poultry, remember that temperatures above 104 degrees can kill them, so make sure they have fresh water, air (mine have a fan in their coop), and shade to help them through the heat.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Excessive Heat Warning for NE & E OK

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County