SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenmanok

Okie gardening newbie needs help

greenmanOK (Zone7)
15 years ago

Hey everyone! I moved to the OKC area (Norman) fairly recently from Omaha and we just bought a house last fall so this is my first attempt at OK gardening. I've been borrowing from this forum all spring, but now I need some help.

Since our house faces south, I decided to work on the garden out there first. Man it gets hot out there! And the wind--my lord! The house came with a large-ish evergreen shrub that sits fairly close to the house and lots of room in front of it (and slightly undeneath) for plants. (I srongly prefer perennials.) In front of the evergreen gets the full force of the south sun, and slightly under it gets morning sun and some afternoon shade. With some local help, I recently headed to Home Despot (yes) and bought a bunch of stuff: Right now, in full sun I planted some variegated monkeygrass for some ground cover, and next to those a few lantanas. Closer to the house in mostly-to-full sun I have some society garlic, and in part sun I have lamb's ears. So how bad did I screw up?

The monkeygrass is doing fine, of course, as are the lantanas, which I understand are perennials here, though they lost their flowers about a week after I planted them. The society garlic also seems to be doing fine, though its flowers are going bye-bye fast and I wonder about its hardiness. The lamb's ear is alive, but wilts terribly, from the heat and humidity I suspect, even though it is protected from afternoon sun. I amended the soil using common gardening/potting soil, except for the lamb's ears, which I simply added a little sand/gravel to some topsoil for better drainage so they dont get too moist and rot. Any advice/comments on this scheme is most welcome.

But here's where I need the most help: I would like to add to this garden a big potted plant/tree that can help break things up a bit. Here's the catch: this area gets the most sun and wind in this garden, and I really need whatever goes here to be in a pot so I can move it to access my sprinkler valves, which sit behind all this mess. I would also like something that could get about 3-4 feet tall and maybe 12-18 inches wide, AND...that I can leave out there year-round. As for colors, I would like something that either has some burgundy to match my Japanese maple that grows nearby, or perhaps purple-ish to match the society garlic and lamb's ears (assuming they survive). Any suggestions? Does such a super-plant even exist? Any advice would be most welcome. I'll try to post a picture of the area once I get more acquainted with this site.

Comments (36)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Greenman,

Welcome to Oklahoma and also to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum. We are glad you're here.

First of all, I prefer to think of it as "learning" and not as "screwing up". Our climate can be almost unbearably difficult for gardeners because it swings wildly from one extreme to another. On the south side of the house, the heat and sunlight are the biggest challenge you will face.

First of all, do you know what kind of evergreen you have? It matters, because some of them have such dense roots that nothing can grow underneath them. Is it a conifer like an evergreen or pine, or is it a broadleaf evergreen like a holly or something similar?

As far as the plants you've already planted: sometimes liriope can handle the sun exposure/reflected heat on the south side of the house, and sometimes it cannot. I think it has the best chance of survival if you have good soil and keep it moist but not sopping wet. By September you will know it the liriope is going to be able to handle that location, although I do think it will be fine. It may grow quite well but often the foliage scorches in the late July to late August heat. Liriope did well for me in a southern exposure in Fort Worth, Texas, but not here. To be fair, the soil in Texas was better and the summer heat not quite as bad as it is here in southern OK.

Lantana is iffy in our climate and it depends on which one you purchased and what its' parentage is. The old-fashioned (or, to be trendy, I should refer to it as "heirloom") one that is native to mosts of Texas, which is Lantana horrida (the 'horrida' refers to the smell of its foliage) usually dies back to the ground in our climate but often regrows from its roots IF it is in well-drained soil. The other native Texas lantana, Lantana camara, which is native to parts of East Texas, has slightly larger leaves and seems slightly more cold hardy in well-drained soil. Many of the lantanas sold in nurseries are Lantana camara, including 'Dallas Red', 'Confeti' and 'Radiation', but others are Lantana montevidensis, like "Trailing Lavender" and "Weeping White". In your part of the state, I think one that Susanlynne grows comes back reliably, and I believe it is "Miss Huff". Sometimes lantana comes back here for me in southern OK, and sometimes it doesn't. It just depends on how harsh a given winter is.

Lantana goes in and out of flower throughout the growing season, so yours should come back into bloom within a few weeks.

Society garlic is usually only RELIABLY hardy to zone 9, which would be Houston, not OKC. Sometimes it is winter hardy in zone 8, perhaps as far north as Denton, TX, but a colder-than-average winter usually kills it. Some people SAY it is hardy to zone 7, and it might be, but I don't really think so. The issue isn't our "average" winter temperatures because they aren't so bad. The problem is the times that the temperatures drop suddenly from say highs in the 50s/lows in the 30s to perhaps a night in the single digits with a high in the teens. That kind of drastic temperature drop will often take out plants that are marginally hardy in zone 7 or 8.

Lamb's ear tends to be short-lived here unless it is in perfectly well-drained soil and it probably needs a lot of shade in our summer heat, but I do think some people on this forum have had success with it. With this plant, it is the summer that is usually too hard on it, and not the winter.

As for a potted tree, there are probably a few that would work in that location for you in the short term, buy you'll have to have a really large pot for them. Otherwise, their roots will roast in the hot sun. I can't think of many possibilities for an actual tree that would fit the size parameters you need (3'-4' tall and 12-18" wide and both summer and winter-hardy) AND purplish foliage), but some shrubs would. We did recently have a discussion on the identification of some purple-leaved shrubs growing near the Wal-Mart in Claremore. I've linked that discussion below to give you some idea of purple-foliaged plants that grow here. In the ground, many of them get larger than what you are looking for, but in a pot their size would be limited by the size of the root ball that can grow in that pot. Of all the purple foliaged plants, I'd lean towards Smoke Tree, Lorapetalum or Purpleleaf Sand Cherry although they all get wider than you specified. If it seems that all the trees/shrubs would get too big, you might want to go with an ornamental grass.

And, to address the issue of soil improvement, a lot depends on what kind of soil you started out with. In general, bagged potting soil drains poorly and would only be considered an improvement if you have very, very fast-draining sandy or sandy-loam soil that NEEDS something added to it to make it drain more slowly. In general, most soils need more organic material, so when you improve soil in the future, consider adding any of the following: mushroom compost (or any other compost you can find), pine bark fines, composted manure, bagged humus (often labeled as 'soil conditioner') or any combination of the above. Some people add peat moss, but I would only add it in very specfic circumstances....specifically if I was trying to create a suitable environment for azaleas, blueberries and the like, and even then I wouldn't only use peat moss--I'd add pine bark pines and compost in equal amounts.

For what it is worth, most potting soils sold bagged are not even suitable for growing most plants in pots. Randy and I both either buy commercial mixes and add certain ingredients to improve their drainage, or make our own from scratch, as do several other people here on the forum. (Randy's also our tree expert, so maybe if he sees your question he can suggest something that would do well in your container near your sprinkler valves.)

Dawn

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Loved your "Home Despot" mention. DH refers to Lowe's as "Highs". LOL Our local Lowe's has very little competition unless we want to drive 50 miles to Tulsa, so they can get away with charging us a little more, he thinks. Still, they are less expensive than the smaller hardware, lumberyard and home improvement stores in our immediate area, so they do get most of our business. --Ilene

• Related Discussions

Year 2 Newbie Container Gardener- Need help with potting soil mix

Q

Comments (5)
    Dear angierainbow83, Please think about the info from Jodi and Al. I add my own story below. Since thinking through my own experiences will help me too, I hope you don't mind. I believe for me, I need to separate the garden beds from my containers; just as a two bedrooms can be used differently while still being a room, a separate approach to garden beds (to use Al's words, more "organic") vs. containers (more "inorganic") is still gardening. Good luck on your journey! Over the past few years I seem to be suffering from a case of harvest envy. Due to space and location, I do not have the ability to grow vegetables in the ground due to shade, but I do have a very sunny spot where containers work fine. I have "successfully" grown various vegetables (and am lazily including tomatoes in this category). I say "successfully" since I have never been able to come close to the level of harvest that neighbors get when the essentially identical plants with similar methods EXCEPT the plants are grown in the ground. In fact, I can say this with with confidence since I have provided them with their plants. I have experimented with various combinations of top soil, organic potting soil, compost and small gravel. (I won't go into nutrient supplements I have tried.) I have used about 15gal lightly-colored plastic pots raised off the ground. Given my growing climate, young plants move into these pots in early May and typically are taken down sometime after Columbus Day. The plants are still producing, but the colder temps negative influences many of the types I grow. In the case of eggplant, tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers, for example, my plants are 5-6ft tall and produce a crop not quite sufficient for a small family throughout much of the season. When I take the pots down at the end of the season, I typically find the exterior soil to be damp/dry while the center below the stem and near the main roots to be very wet. Further, there are many small roots near the soil surface, possible due to the thin mulch layer I applied (thinking I needed more moisture retention). There are some larger roots that spread in the pots, but not a tremendous amount. The best fruiting, distribution and size of roots was in the year where I only used organic potting soil without a mulch cover. Although I can't say with 100% certainty that by making the soil more organic I caused this problem since from year to year I changed conditions (and growing conditions change too), the evidence is pretty well stacked against me.
    ...See More

Newbie wants to garden! Need help!

Q

Comments (15)
    Home test kits are pretty much useless as they are notoriously innaccurate. Your best bet is to have the test done through your extension office (I guess, because I'm Canadian and we don't have extension offices up here). Here is what a typical soil test result will look like (mine from the spring): As you can see, it measures pretty much everything of importance, especially pH, organic matter, calcium, micro-nutrients, etc. Then, at the bottom, it gives a reccomendation for inputs. These are largely geared to a scale of agricultural production, but a "home and garden" test may be better suited to small scale. Without the test, I would not have known that my soil had a fairly high pH (thus I do not add lime, I add sulphur), had a high organic matter level (it was a former cattle pen), and was high in zinc, copper, iron and especially boron. This knowledge allows me to cater my inputs to what the soil needs, and also alerts me to watch out for specific problems with plant growth. A couple of valuable tests you can do at home are the following: 1. Soil texture/composition: Using a large quart mason jar, fill the jar with about 3-4 inches of your garden soil. Dig a small hole, about 6-8 inches deep and try to get all levels (topsoil and subsoil). This soil should be then well sifted, and then pulverized until it is a very fine, even texture. Into the jar with the dirt, fill with water, leaving about 2 inches of air. Add a drop of dish soap to the water, and seal the jar tightly. Tape a piece of masking tape to the side that runs from the bottom to the top of the water level (this is to make the marks that you will be making below). Shake the holy bejezus out of it. After five minutes of vigourous shaking, when your arms can't shake any more, hand it to someone else and have them skake it for five more minutes. Then, set the jar down in front of a bright light and start to record. After one minute you will see a defined layer - this is the amount of sand in your soil. Then after about twenty minutes, you will see another definite layer - this layer as this is the silt. After about three days, you will see one more defined layer - this is the clay. On top of the clay you will see a bunch of settled junk like weed seeds and such. This is the residual organic matter and need not be much concern. After everything has settled over a few days, this is what you will see: The bottom layer (up to 0.75" is the sand) - disregard the weird looking lines in this layer, that is just a reflection of the wood table. Then the silt runs to about 2". Then the clay up to just about 2 3/4". If you then do the math for this sample, the sand is 27% (that would be 0.75/2.75), the silt is 45% (1.25/2.75) and the clay is 27% (0.75/2.75). This means that my soil is a silty-loam soil, confirmed by practical experience. That being said, there are patches of my garden that are more sand, or more clay. I know these areas and know what to plant there. It is great to run tests, but getting your hands dirty and exploring the soil is very important. 2. drainage: related to the soil composition test, a drainage test will be very valuable. Take a standard, empty coffee can and cut out the bottom. Dig a hole about 4-6" deep with the same diameter of the can. Put the can into the hole and press down to seat it firmly. Then, fill the can with water. If after an hour your can has not fully drained, then you have a fairly slow draining soil (typical of clay based soils). However, if your can is fully empty after, say, 30 minutes, you have alot of sand and will have problems with nutrient leaching. In both cases, obtaining the data is relatively easy. Knowing what to do with that data is the start of your gardening experience. Hope this helps. Michael
    ...See More

Newbie gardener needs help-- disease or fungus??

Q

Comments (3)
    looks like sunburn and water management issues ... is there any time of the day.. where sun is reflecting off a building nearby ??? how big are your pots... and are they staying reasonably moist at all times... but never sodden did you miss a watering or two ... a week to ten days back ... never forget ... damage is usually OLD... by the time you notice it ... if my words dont fail me with that ... in other words... the insult to the leaf.. that caused the cell failure happened long before the tissue turned brown ... any better??? do not spray for bugs.. unless you find the bug ... it could be long gone ... you are really pushing the limits.. trying to grow a veg garden.. in pots.. on a balcony ... perhaps a picture of the setup might get you other ideas as to the problem ... regardless.. i doubt many of us have done this ... but we wish you luck ken
    ...See More

Newbies need help! Garden rehabilitation

Q

Comments (3)
    I have been to Barcelona and really like the climate. Some random observations: don't use the boiling water thing unless you want everything dead. I use it on weeds in the cracks of the driveway pavement and along the wood-chipped path where the grass encroaches. And that is all! I don't want to risk killing something that is in the yard that I want to keep. Some people advocate using fire to eliminate bothersome plants. However, that takes care of the above soil portion only. Your best bet is to be on your hands and knees and dig. Ivy that loves where it is can often destroy whatever is in its path. That includes trees, walls, houses. It looks nice and you don't have to do much to take care of it. But it can be (not always) aggressive. I don't know much about the way things are in Spain; but, if you have a quality university in the area that has something to do with agriculture, then ask them for advice. In the USA, most state operated universities have a service that provides information and referrals. Also, ask your neighbors about what they have done or are considering doing. Best of luck, Jim
    ...See More
  • Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

I'm not crazy about the Home Despots or Highs of the world (LOL), but at least they ARE here. When we first moved here, it was 60 miles to the nearest one (now it is only 30!), and you miss them and their great selection of stuff, if all you have are small, local lumberyards.

One thing all the big box stores do which I find despicable (and some nurseries do it as well) is that they sell lots of zone 8 and 9 plants to people in zone 7 and DON'T tell inexperienced gardeners that they are NOT cold hardy in our area. To me, that is just unethical. And, if you ask an employee if the plant will survive the winter here, you are likely to get a "yes" even if the correct answer is "no" because many of those garden center employees are NOT gardeners themselves and have no idea what they are talking about.

But, like Ilene, they get our business because they are here. I remember "the old days" when we had a lot of smaller building material stores, like Sutherland's and Payless Cashways and the like. Now, though, except for a few local McCoy's Building Centers, all we have anywhere around here are the big blue stores and the big orange stores.

Dawn

• greenmanOK (Zone7)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, folks. All very helpful. I'll just wait and see what happens with the stuff I planted and keep watering it. I'd hate to lose that society garlic. It is thriving in the heat and call me silly but I love the smell.

The soil was actually not bad in that bed - it had been improved by the previous owners and was fairly sandy (I think it was that 99 cent-per bag stuff you get a Lowes that comes from Miami, OK...).

As for the type of evergreen shrub, I honestly don't know. I ran in to a few roots digging around, but not many. I'll try to post a picture. It looks like people are linking to their photobucket accounts to do that so I'll try that when I get home from work (am on lunch).

As for the potted plant, ornamental grass may be the way to go. I remember having pampas grass at my parents when I was a kid. Maybe in a pot with its root confined it wound't get so tall?

Yes, "Highs" (love that) and the Home Despot here in Norman employ a lot college students, esp for summer help. When we first bought our house I added on to our deck out back and was buying some lattice at Lowes. When I asked the 19-year-old girl what isle the lattice was on, she said she didn't know what lattice was. AND SHE WORKED IN THE LUMBER DEPT!!

• onemoreplant
    15 years ago

I love lantana. I live about an hour east of Norman. I plant it every year in large pots. Just before the first predicted freeze I pull it out of the pots and stick it in the ground. Usually part of this planting will come up the next spring.

I have some lantana in the ground that has been returning for about 10 years. The only downside is you have to cut back the dead branches after we get a freeze. You can be organized and do this on a nice day in Nov or Dec or you can do it next spring on that first nice day. Just remember it needs a lot of sun in order to bloom.

One plus of Oklahoma gardening is you can plant pansies on one of those nice days in October after the weather has cooled. They will last thru the winter and continue to bloom thru spring. I put them in pots near my porch so they are easy to water. Unfortunately, they die in our summer heat, but by that time some other flowering plant will take their place.

Good luck with your landscaping.

• greenmanOK (Zone7)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, here's a link to a picture of the area I'm talking about. The evergreen shrub is very visible, as is the large gap that I want to fill with some sort of potted plant (complete with stepping stones leading to the unsightly sprinkler valve, and a larger stepping stone that I added, and on which I would like to place the potted plant). In front you can also see the variegated mokeygrass I planted. To the right of that are the lantanas, and behind those you can make out one of my wilted lambs ears and a couple of the society garlics. Behind it all is my Japanese maple, which is very protected from the elements and is doing quite well. Underneath it, and behind the shrub I have some full shade groundcover--hostas, etc.. that are thriving (not visible).

Everything you see in this picture faces straignt south, so I am taking this picture facing north; to the right is east and left is west. I'm under no illusions that everything I've put here is going to survive, but my dream is for all this to be filled in with lush shades of green, with maybe some specs of red/burgundy to compliment the Japanese maple. (The lantanas were reddish-orange when I planted them a few weeks ago).

Dawn, you seem to be the guru on this forum, so your insight is most appreciated. I'd hate to have to change my username from greenman to brownman!!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Hi Greenman,

Thanks for posting the photo--it really helps to see what you're dealing with so that we can make appropriate recommendations.

The Japanese Maple looks great. Assuming it has been in that location for some time and is doing well there, then I can only assume you have good soil with a good pH, which is nice.

If you want to go with an ornamental grass, as we touched on briefly yesterday, there are many, many of them and some of them have a pinkish or purplish tint to their stems or flowers or both. One of my favorites is pink muhly grass because it has great color and tolerates hot and dry conditions. There are many others, though, and you probably should just go to a nursery and see what appeals to you.

Don't let the "height" and "width" given on plant labels cause you to reject a grass because it will get too big. To a certain extent, you can control the height and width via the selection of the container you'll be growing the grass in. If you keep the same grass in the plant long-term, though, you probably will have to take it out of the pot during the dormant season (shortly before new growth begins) and root prune it annually to keep it from becoming root-bound.

Another plant that might work for you in that location would be one of the dwarf nandinas that have reddish-purplish foliage. Some of them are pretty compact, have great color and stay evergreen. At some points in the growing season they are more greenish with new growth though. They are pretty pest free and that's a plus.

Other plants that could work for you there might be:

An EVERGREEN daylily (Hemerocallis hybrids), esp. one with purple flowers if you want it to sort of coordinate with the Japanese Maple(not all daylilies are evergreen, so choose carefully).

Japanese Maiden Grass (Miscanthus sinensis). There are many different named ones available. The smallest one I can think of is "Adagio", which gets about 2' tall and 2' wide, although it would stay smaller in a container than in the ground. "Morning Light" gets slightly larger, but has very slender white-striped leaves so it would blend really well with your variegated liriope.

For a minute, I toyed with the idea of Red Yucca (Hesperaloe parviflora) because it is very drought and heat tolerant and has a beautiful arching habit, and lovely coral-to-pink flowers. Then, I decided it probably would be too large for that area AND probably too spikey....assuming you have to get to those sprinkler valves periodically.

You could put just about any heat-tolerant shrub or ornamental grass in that location. Perennials probably wouldn't do as well because most of them lose their leaves in the winter and it would look sort of bare. Most trees would get too large.

If it were me, and I wanted a permanent plant, I think I would go with a tall, spikey plant like an ornamental grass, a yucca or an agave. All of them would provide a nice contrast to the rounded form of the shrubs.

If you want to partially hide the container, you could underplant your ornamental grass with something (probably an annual, although a few perennials come to mind) that would creep and hang over the edge....something like purple heart (Setcreasea pallida) which is a succulent and doesn't need much water, or maybe something like ornamental sweet potato..."Marguerite" has chartreuse foliage, there are several different ones, including "Blackie" that have dark purplish-black foliage, and there are some variegated ones as well.

In a difficult south-facing location, it may take some time and some trial and errot to discover what can take our heat. If the lantanas prove not to be perennial, and you'd rather not replant something in that location every year, any one of the various sedums, which are succulents that handle heat well with very little irrigation, would work. The sedum family is huge and there are upright forms and creeping forms, and some have purple flowers and some have purplish foliage. Artemesias have silver foliage and might be a good replacement for the poor little lambs ear that I think probably will burn up in the August heat, if indeed it makes it that far.

And, thank you so much for the lovely "guru" comment.....it made me blush. However, there are MANY gurus here, and I would list them all for you but fear I might accidentally leave someone off the list and offend that person which would distress me terribly. We have so many talented, knowledgeable gardeners on this forum and I continue to learn something new from them each and every day, which is one of the many things I love about this forum.

I hope you will keep us posted on what you decide to do and on the results. Here on this forum, we know that gardening in Oklahoma can be especially challenging due to our brutal summer heat and wildly unpredictable weather. I think we all enjoy helping one another work through the endless challenges.....and you can always come here for lots of "tea and sympathy" when your landscape gets pounded by any and all of the following: hail of all sizes, extremely high winds, torrential downpours, ice storms, tornadoes, swarms of grasshoppers or wildfires. (Thankfully, not all in the same day......)

Happy gardening,

Dawn

• greenmanOK (Zone7)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again for the advice, Dawn. I can tell I'll be coming to this forum a lot, and I'll keep you posted on my gardening endeavors. We also have a huge backyard that the previous owners pretty much left bare, except for the lawn, so I have all kinds of opportunities. Hopefully gardening on the north side of the house won't be as challenging...

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Greenman (And I do not think you'll ever have to change your name to "Brownman"),

Gardening on the north side of the house will be a piece of cake compared to the south side!

Dawn

• greenmanOK (Zone7)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess this post is primarily for Dawn, but I welcome all insight. OK, after searching around, I think that a barberry shrub in a container might be good to hide the path to my sprinkler valves--mainly for the color and (hopefully) ease of growing. I would probably let it get a bit "dangly" (like I've seen them in some places) so as to contrast with the rounded evergreen shrub. It would draw in with the Japanese Mapel and the virginia creeper that I plan to put on the SE corner of the house. Barberrys seem to be hardy and heat tolerant, but will planting it in a container in such an (southern) exposed area create complicaitons? Also, I suspect that I will have to periodically fertilize it in a container (vs. if I planted it in the ground. Also, what about frost damage in a container? I suppose it matters what kind of container I acquire...

I know there are several varieties of barberry that turn purple-ish-burgundy in the late summer/fall. Any suggestions? Dwarf variety, so it won't get too wide? Other shrubs that might work?

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Greenman,

I love barberry and it is a very tough shrub. I think it is hardy down to zone 4 or 5, so it shouldn't freeze in OKC, even if it is in a container. Even in the summer months, as long as it is well watered (moist but not soggy), it should be able to take the heat.

Normally, when a plant is kept in a container above ground level, you consider it to be growing one zone colder than the zone it is in. So, in zone 7, a container plant is exposed to zone 6 winter conditions since the container does not insulate as well as the ground.

However, one concern I have about barberyy is that it can be thorny and that might (or might not) be a problem, depending on how often you have to access those sprinkler valves. Look at one in a nursery, public park, or landscaped area near a mall and check out the "thorniness" of it before you buy it. After all, I don't want you yelling at me later if you're moving it and it sticks or pricks you and hurts you. (smile)

Finally, I said above that "normally" a plant is considered one zone colder in winter if it is growing above grade in a container, but there is an exception. Well, there's two. First, I said "normally" and it seems like nothing is "normal" in Oklahoma weatherwise, so I hate even using that word. Secondly, sometimes our weather can plunge 30 or 40 degrees in just a few hours when an arctic cold front comes rolling down across the Great Plains. In those conditions, a plant in a container might suffer freeze damage, even to the point of freezing to death. This occurs because plants usually have a gradual cool down and adjust to colder temperatures over time which helps them to survive. If a sudden "blue norther" blows in and the temperature drops drastically, plants often can't handle that sudden change. The same thing is true of plants in the ground as well. Therefore, you have to be sure to either move it into the garage if a "blue norther" is expected or water it well (dry roots freeze faster) and maybe wrap a blanket or quilt around the container that day or night.

I think "Crimson Pygmy" barberry would be a terrific one for you, or "Helmond Pillar" if you decide you want one that has a strongly vertical presence.

I linked a page that has photos of both, and several other barberries as well.

Dawn

• bizydiggin
    15 years ago

Greenman!

I'm a fellow Nebraskan, grew up in Bellevue. Don't miss the winters!! You're really going to LOVE December and January here! :)) You'll think you were in the tropics compared to Omaha!

Oklahoma gardening is challenging, but the challenge is why we keep doing it. Dawn's information is always right on target, she's been a huge help to several of us here on the forum.

Just wanted to say "Welcome to OKC!!"

Courtney

• greenmanOK (Zone7)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again, Dawn. We're off to the nursery to have a look at barberrys and containers. Of course, I'd never "yell" at you if I got stuck by a thorny bush that you gave me advice on. :) My hands and arms are already all buggered-up anyway so a few thorn injuries won't be a big deal.

Thanks for the welcome, Courtney. Yes, I remember those Nebraska winters all too well. One of the last years I lived there we had a foot of snow a week for 3 straight weeks... ALthough I must say, the ice storm we had here in Dec wreaked much more havoc that snow in Neb ever did! Then again, it was 45 out the next day.

Finally, we got an inch of rain this morning, so I don't have to water tomorrow! I was so happy I jumped out of bed, ran outside and did a little celebratory dance in the backyard in my boxers...then the hail came. Ouch! Haha!!

GM

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

GM,

Well, you could yell at me if you wanted, and I think I could handle it. (smile)

What Courtney didn't tell you is that she did an amazing job landscaping and gardening at her new home last year and is a wonderful contributor to this forum as well.

We've had a few sprinkles here this evening but not enough stuff to qualify as rain. We're hoping for more as the evening progresses.

And, I wish we could have seen the happy dance! I hope the hail was minor and didn't damage anything.

Dawn

• bizydiggin
    15 years ago

Dawn - you give me WAY too much credit! I just watched DH dig holes, and then I put things in the ground. I don't think I could have done it without the forum helping me along the way. You've been a terrific asset for me! I don't run to my "Western Gardner" book anymore, now I run to the computer :)

GM - The ice storms are a bit hard to get used to, so is driving in OKC! It's all about pole position here! Watch your flanks!!

Courtney

• greenmanOK (Zone7)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So perhaps my comment about a "celebratory dance" bordered on hyperbole, but I was happy to have the rain, nonetheless, and managed to get sopping wet as I wondered throughout my back yard. Needless to say, DW thought I had lost my mind as I sprinted in from the hail! It was minor--pea sized--and didn't do damage, thankfully.

Went to nurseries today - found a great container, but nobody seems to have the helmond pillar barberry Dawn recommended that decided I would like (I like the vertical presence). I will check out some more nurseries in the coming days, but was wondering...if I have no luck locally, has anyone had experience buying plants online? Lots of cool stuff from online nursuries. Wondering how they ship the stuff...?
    Thanks so much - you guys are great. (Sorry, I know you are technically not "guys," but I can't yet bring myself to say "y'all." Call me a stubborn mid-westerner... Give me time) ;)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Courtney,

C'mon woman, give me a break! And, while you are at it, give yourself and DH a lot of credit for what y'all have accomplished. I KNOW how hard you worked to determine which plants were right for your location. You asked questions, did your research, asked more questions, looked hard to find the right stuff, and did it all while dealing with a DH and your sweet kids AND, remember, the little man was at a very difficult age last summer. Now, you continue to do it with a young dog to train and corral! It is not an "accident" or "luck" that the plants y'all put in those holes have survived and thrived. YOU and DH did that together and you should be proud.

Greenman,

I like hyperbole. Often, I will announce to anyone who is interested that "I am doing the happy dance....." because it rained, or the tomatoes ripened, or whatever.....and people here understand. It seems that a lot of our gardening news is "bad" (no rain, too much rain, too much wind, ice, etc.), so good news is always an occasion for the happy dance. : )

With mail order/online nurseries, there is a wide range of experiences. Some of them are great. Some of them are not. Before you purchase from a specific company, mention them by name here, and see what kind of feedback you get. Some send large, healthy plants in sturdy, well-watered pots and others send twigs that supposed to be "whips" that are "guaranteed to grow", but they don't. So, ask before you order and we'll tell you if we've been happy with a particular company. Most of the companies I have found to send good plants that are well-packaged tend to be those that have higher prices, so I think in the online or mail order gardening world, you definitely get what you pay for.

Different companies send plants in different ways. In the summer, I would ONLY buy those that are shipped in containers, not bare rooted. Most of them have their root balls held into the pots using various methods. Some of them are wrapped in paper, excelsior, moss or plastic and have various kinds of inserts to hold the containers in place in the shipping boxes.

And, I suppose we answer to both "you guys" and "y'all" here because we're just a happy, easy-going bunch. We'll make an Okie out of you yet, make no mistake about it. One day you will wear your "Okie-ness" like a badge of honor because Okies are good people who have large hearts and who are survivors. Some day, you'll be saying "y'all" as much or more than "you guys" and you'll realize it has happened--the midwesterner has morphed into an Okie. Trust me. It will happen. (smile)

Dawn

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Oh, come on, now, ease into it by saying "You all". LOL

I have bought plants from mail-order nurseries and they have worked for me about as well as the plants in pots bought at local nurseries. The mail-order nurseries tend to ship the plant bare-root. This looks a little scarey when you open up the package. Usually they're sealed in plastic with just a little bit of moisture. You don't want to unseal that plastic till you have something wet to put the roots in because they will dry out lightning fast once exposed to air.

Gurney's and Fields always have a spring promotion where if you buy $20 worth of something you can get $20 additional with their coupon. That's usually when I buy plants. I've been having a terrible time getting blueberry plants from local stores to stay alive. Those little puppies are just too darn little. And they put them in a big bag with a lot of sawdust to make you think you're getting a bigger plant. I just hate marketing ploys like that. Buy a big jar of something only to open it and find the contents have all settled into the bottom 1/4 of the jar. Oh, don't get me started on this.

But anyway, I guess I'll be ordering blueberries this coming spring.

The problem I have with the local nurseries is that they have the plants so full of chemical fertilizer that they kind of go into shock when they get in the ground. I don't so much have that problem with bare root plants and I think this is because I follow a "tonic" recipe from a Jerry Baker book that I have. I will find it and post it for you.

There's an old saying my brother-in-law used to use all the time till it got to be a joke for the rest of us: "I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late to supper!" --Ilene

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

I hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws by giving you Jerry Baker's recipe. If so maybe he will commute my sentence because I'm going to give his book a serious plug here.

The book is called "Jerry Baker's Old-Time Gardening Wisdom". In the book, he talks about his earliest Oklahoma memories of his grandmother and all the things she taught him about gardening. Even if you're not going to garden, it's a good read. But if you ARE going to garden there is a lot of great information in it.

This is his Root Tonic, found on page 344: 1 Tbsp liquid dish soap, 1/4 cup of tea (I assume this is loose tea leaves and not brewed tea. I use 3 or 4 teabags), 1 Tbsp Epsom Salt. Mix into a gallon of water and soak the bare root plant up to 24 hours.

Forgive me, Jerry.

You may have to double or triple the recipe,depending on the size of your plant. He does not say to do so, but when I place the plant in the soil, I always pour some of the mixture that it soaked in into the hole instead of plain water. It has worked really well for me. I even soaked my Candy Onion plants in it, although only for a couple hours! P.U., the water smelled quite onioney and I was afraid maybe I'd made a big mistake, but they took right off growing and this is the first year I have EVER successfully grown onions. --Ilene

• bizydiggin
    15 years ago

Greenman,

Give this nursery a try! They were a wholesale tree farm servicing commercial landscapers, etc. Just a couple months ago they opened the nursery, but 100% of their products are available for retail now. They have some unique trees and shrubs.

Foster's Nursery And Tree Farm
    7600 S.W. 119th St.
    Oklahoma City, OK 73173 Map
    (405) 745-3500

GREAT people to work with!!

BTW - When you start saying "Fixin to..." then you know you've been converted into an Okie!

Dawn, Thank you for reminding me of all the work we did last year! It's so easy to forget what all we've accomplished since we look at it all day long :) WOW! I thought I was working hard this year maintaining all of it, now to put it in perspective... I'm having a really lazy summer. LOL!

Courtney

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Courtney,

Oh, gosh, how could you forget!

And, remember the workmen who were fixing a wall or something and trampling plants? And the termites eating your sedum? Oh, and Little Man watering the plants....in his own unique way? It really was a VERY memorable summer. LOL

Dawn

• bizydiggin
    15 years ago

LOL!!! Little man still like to pretended he's a fireman, but I have him aiming at the flowerbeds now as gopher repellent :)) DH isn't convinced that it keeps the gophers away, but I told him I read it here, so it must work. :) And, no gophers in his "favorite" spot, now I just have to get him to work his way around the perimeter of the yard!

The hydrangea that they trampled is now about 3 feet tall, and blooming wonderfully!

The termites, I just keep crossing my fingers on that one! I was thinking about adding some DE to the soil around the house. They can have the sedum (which came back this year very strong) but they can't have my house!

You're soooo right, we have had lots of fun here. DH has orders to go back to San Diego, but it'll mean lots of overseas time for him, so I think the kids and I are going to stay here. Come Dec/Jan, I'll be ready to go, but when everything starts turning green again there's no place I'd rather be. You Okie's have kinda grown on me :)))

Courtney

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Courtney,

The only thing that has worked for us on the gophers is the cats. Cats are really good at exterminating them. If gophers are not in his favorite spot, you could argue that it is working, couldn't you?

It's great that the hydrangea recovered and is blooming. What a difference a year makes.

Have you seen any more termites? I'm kind of thinking that they might have been driven up into your yard from elsewhere due to all the rain? And, if so, maybe they have gone back to where they came from.

I am happy to hear that you and the kids are going to stay put. After all the time and effort y'all put into the house and the yard, I couldn't imagine how it would feel to leave it! I am sure it will be a hardship to have DH in SD and y'all here, but if he is going to be overseas a lot, then why not?

Oklahoma does have a way of growing on you and so does its warm and friendly people. : )

Dawn

• greenmanOK (Zone7)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion re nurseries, Courtney, though I managed to find a helmond pillar barberry at Marcums down off the I-35 Goldsby exit - a 2-gallon plant that is about 18-inches high right now. I was so thrilled, until DW vetoed the container we purchsed over the weekend. (For what it's worth, she was right.) So after returining it, we now have the opposite problem: a plant and no container!

So my next pesky question: how to pot it. Container will probably be 18" across the top, perhaps 24" or so high, and made of clay/ceramic of some sort. (Suggestions welcome on this too, btw). The one we returned today was a sort of clay/ceramic "hybrid". Clay ones at The Greenhouse here in Norman are EXPENSIVE!--$150 to $200 for a decent-looking and appropriate-sized one. And I promise DW will veto "icky orange" terra cotta. I assume the plastic containers (a la Home Despot) are not good for winter protection and will probably fade in the sun.

Any soil mix, recommendations for the potted helmond pillar? Probably a few inches of gravel on the bottom for drainage, at least, no? Think I ought to try Ilene's tonic suggestions, since it was purchased in a container?

I rather enjoyed the "fireman" discussion above. I must be a child at heart, b/c ever since owning our own home I rather enjoy "going back to nature" from time to time out back. DW accuses me of attmepting to establish a "p*ss permimeter." Haha! Maybe I am! You can take the boy off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the boy, I guess...

Thx,
    GM

• bizydiggin
    15 years ago

GM,

Us girl's just don't understand "the call of the wild" that overcomes men, but we tolerate it nonetheless. I support it, only as gopher repellent! (I would say yes, since the gophers have avoided his favorite spot, there's prrof it works!)

I'm sure you are a little stronger than I am, but I couldn't go with a clay/ceramic pot, especially with a tree that needs moved from time to time! There is a "nursery" on SW 24th Street & Hwy 9 in Norman, I'm not sure what they are called, but they seem to have a very good selection of pots and accessories.

I have a couple of Majesty Palms that I put in the plastic, $5 Home Depot pots, and then used a can of Krylon to get the color that I wanted. I used the plastic because DH is military and sometimes deployed, so I have to be able to move the pots on my own, and the clay/ceramic are just too heavy for me to handle. I painted mine dark brown, and they get full sun all day, the color hasn't faded at all, as far as durability during the winter I couldn't help you, the palms don't get to stay outside when it gets below 50 degrees. Would it really make a difference though? Ceramic and clay conduct temperature very well, so would they really add much protection from the temperature drop. I'm have no idea what zones the tree can grow in, but if it could grow in a zone 5, I would guess that it would be okay in either plastic or ceramic. Dawn could definately answer more specifically, but I read somewhere that for potted plants to go 2 zones colder than where you live to get the best results.

Dawn,

Growing up in Nebraska, Oklahoma was the LAST place I ever thought I would want to live, but it's pretty comfortable here. Our yard is nowhere near the size of your spread, we've only got an acre, leaving here would mean another 17' x 54' backyard, with neighbors 5 ft away on each side. The desire to go back has totally left me.

It's funny, all the plants I had there stayed green and blooming year round Bouganvilla, Mandevilla, Banana Trees, Queen palms, Pindo Palms, Majesty Palms, Hibiscus.... but there wasn't much of a challenge! I have enjoyed gardening so much more here, having to battle the soil, wind, rain, hail, more wind, freezes, scores of bugs.... The rewards are greater becuase the work is harder! Tonight we sat on the patio and watched a couple hummingbirds tripping around the flowerbeds, and the fennel has TONS of BST cats on it, we've even got a cocoon on the kitchen counter waiting for the magic moment... Funny that Cali has such a reputation for it's environmentalism, but we had to move to Oklahoma to actually experience a natural environment.

Courtney

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

GM,

I'm excited you found the Helmond Pillar barberry locally and didn't have to order one and have it shipped during the summer heat.

There are many attractive containers available. If you get a clay/ceramic one, be sure it can handle wild temperature swings without cracking or flaking.

I like the fairly new poly-resin pots or the fiberglass-poly pots. The quality ones (not the $25.00 ones from Wal-Mart) are supposed to be long-lasting. They are lightweight so they are easy to move, and they come in all kinds of gorgeous finishes. One of them probably would be my first choice.

I also love the look of cedar planters. They are so pretty!

I grow tons of plants in plastic pots, but I am in zone 7B....and our winters here are more like zone 8 than zone 7 about 95% of the time.

I've linked a website that sells all kinds of containers. I'm not really suggesting you order online, because I am sure you'd rather find something local more quickly. But, I thought that looking at the website might give you some ideas about what is "out there".

As far as what soil mix to use in containers, we've discussed that topic quite a bit this year. Just do a search of this forum using the key words container potting soil or mix or something similar, and it should pull up the previous threads. If the search feature fails, let me know and I'll find a previous thread and bump it up to the top of the page.

Courtney,

I think I couldn't live in a climate where you could garden year-round because I'd just completely wear myself out--I need downtime in the winter to recover from a long growing season of chores.

I love the changing of the seasons...spring and fall are my two favorite seasons.

And, watching all the wild critters that share your environment is just the most fun, isn't it? I love to sit out on the patio and watch the hummers, purple martins, doves, bats, dragonflies, butterflies, moths, etc. in the evening hours.

I know parts of Cali are GORGEOUS and most people would give their right arm to live there, but the cost of living is sky-high there and the environment can be cruel. I wouldn't leave Oklahoma to live anywhere else, even California, even though I know it is a beautiful state. Between the earthquakes and the wildfires, I don't think my nerves could handle living there. LOL

Dawn

• bizydiggin
    15 years ago

Dawn,

San Diego is beautiful, but the freak to normal person ratio is much higher there! I never felt safe in the malls, I didn't like my daughters walking to their friend's house by themselves... I was just a very nervous Mom when we lived there.

I personally would prefer an earthquake to a tornado though. The news people find out about at the same time as everyone else, so they don't have 3 hours of special alerts to hype up the situation and scare everyone half to death.

The funny thing that they don't have there... lightening and thunder! A little further north and furthr east of San Diego does, but the SD area was void of thunderstorms the entire time we lived there. I don't know why, I'm sure there's an explanation for it, but for me it was just creepy... likes something wasn't right.

Courtney

• bizydiggin
    15 years ago

GM,

Also look at Garden Ridge. They have some fairly good prices on clay ceramic and resin (plastic). If you visit their website you can locate a store, I know there's on in OKC off I40 and MacArthur, but I don't know if there's one in Norman. They have containers 25-50% off this week.

Courtney

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Courtney,

Your comment "The freak to normal person ratio is much higher there...." had me rolling on the floor. I can understand how "normal" Oklahoma must seem when compared to some of the parts of California that are sort of "out there".

I have mixed feelings on the tornado hype. An excellent meteorologist in the D-FW area was recently "let go" after a pretty long career there and rumor had it that she was fired for refused to over-hype the dangerous weather. But, I admire some of the things they can do.....like tell you minute by minute when a storm they are tracking is going to hit your community....at least you know approximately how many minutes you have left to get yourself and your family into a sheltered location.

No lightning and thunder? I never knew that. How odd.

See....just more reasons for you to remain an Oklahoma gardener instead of a California gardener.

Dawn

• greenmanOK (Zone7)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks gals. I'm confident I can at least "slide" a ceramic/clay container, but even though they look very elegant, I just don't think the price is worth it. I like Dawn's poly-fiberglass idea, so I may go that route. The place on SW 24th and Highway 9 in Norman is "The Greenhouse," where I spotted containers the size I need for $200 (and up to $1500 for really big ones!! Not on my salary!)

I too am finding life in OK very rewarding, and ditto on the spring and fall seasons. Summer is wicked hot and winters, although mild, can be treacherous, as we found out in Dec. Fall here is absolutely divine, and I love that spring starts in early March!

Courtney is right about no T-storms on the coasts (at least compared to the middle part of the country. I used to live in Virginia and while it rained a lot, we never had good ole' fashioned thunderstorms, which I missed terribly, having grown up in KS. I have this urge to be woke up at 3 am by cracks of thunder and lighting, so I can go outside and watch the rain and do my "happy dance." Strangely enough, I studied in Holland for a brief stint and while it literally rained daily there in the summer, they didn't have thunderstorms either. But, if you think Cali is full of "freaks," try Amsterdam! :) I like all different kinds of people, though, so I embraced it. All I had to do to feel at home was take a drive in the country to see the infinite flatness and plethora of cows!

Later,
    GM

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

GM,

Lots of people who do big-time container gardening are in love with the new poly-fiberglass and poly-resin containers because they give you the classic look of majestic urns and pots without the incredible weight and expense that often accompanies them.

I'm glad you're finding life in OK rewarding. We only moved 80 miles from Ft. Worth to here, and guess what we discovered? To our amazement, we found we had moved 80 miles north so we could be colder in the winter (which was expected) AND hotter in the summer (totally unexpected!). We joke now about what poor planning that was on our part!

I would miss the thunderstorms! One of my favorite things about Oklahoma weather is the "thundersnow", which I think we've experienced here at least three times.....it is just like a thunderstorm with thunder and lightning, but with snow instead of rain. Until we moved here, I never knew such a thing existed. The brutal ice storms usually miss us here in extreme southcentral Oklahoma, although one several years ago literally stopped halfway through Love County, so the northern part of the county had some damage but the southern part didn't. The closest damage to us was a mile or two away, and major damage was about 3 miles away.

During the 2005 and 2006 drought/wildfires that plagued this state, we went months without a thunderstorm here, and it was AWFUL. Aside from the dryness, trees dying, pastures burning, etc., and the exhaustion of having up to five wildfires in one day, I just flat missed the thunderstorms and wondered when we'd ever have one again. I remember that when we finally had a thunderstorm, EVERYONE sat outside on porches and covered patios and watched it rain....at least until a lightning strike ignited a barn full of hay and sent several fire departments racing in that direction. We watched as the frogs came out of the pond and sat in the rain. It was funny. (And the lily pond only had water in it because we kept filling it with the hose to keep it from drying up. We'd even moved fish from the creek to the pond as the creek dried up.) Later, talking to the next door neighbors, we found out they all had been sitting outside watching the rain and lightning and frogs....just like us. We laughed and decided that we all were "easily amused", but we sure were glad to have that thunderstorm! (And we didn't have another one for several months, either.)

Keep us posted how what kind of lovely container you buy and I hope you'll post a photo and show us how it looks!

Dawn

• bizydiggin
    15 years ago

GM,

Your travels make me think that you may be or might have been in the Navy. DH is a sailor. So am I right?

Courtney

• greenmanOK (Zone7)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dawn,
    Oh boy...gonna need that thread re potting mixes pulled up. I'm getting advice from all over the place. I want to keep it basic for the container helmond pillar, and with as little repotting as possible. In some searches, I came across a basic mix suggestion for potted shrubs: 1 part soil mix, 2 parts composted fine pine. Whaddya think?

Courtney,
    Not quite, but I suppose you are close. I'm a professor and teach/work in international security and military affairs...not brave enough to actually join the military, and certainly educated beyond my intelligence.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Professor Greenman,

I just want to say that I SO admire the work you do.....and want you to know that we absolutely do need people like you teaching just as much as we need the folks who serve in the armed forces! So, thanks for what you do because it, too, is am important part of our maintaining our national security.

Now, about the container mix. On the previous thread, which I have linked below, I describe for Carol and other interested persons how I use a version of Al's Mix from the container forum to grow some veggies (ESPECIALLY early tomatoes planted in late January to early Feb. and harvested in April!) in containers. There is nothing wrong with Al's Mix as discussed on the Container Forum (it's a great mix and many people successfully use it), but I just tweaked it a little to keep it organic and oriented towards veggie growing.

Randy, who is our MOST EXPERT container, tree and greenhouse grower, also describes his mix in a separate thread that I haven't found yet, but I'll keep looking for it and link it as well. I think his mix might work better for you since you'll be planting a shrub and not veggies. If you were to use my organic container mix, I'd use Espoma Holly-Tone or Plant-Tone as the fertilizer for the mix because it contains trace elements (micronutrients).

So, I've linked the previous thread for you and hope it helps.

Dawn

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Greenman,

I found the previous thread where Randy mentioned his mix and linked it below. I think Randy's mix recipe is the first response to the questions posed by Kirts.

Dawn

• greenmanOK (Zone7)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You make me blush, Dawn. I suspect my work is a bit more dispensable than that of our men and women in uniform, but thanks. The biggest challenge I face is getting through to 18-23 year-olds... And, of course, growing a garden in Oklahoma!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH