SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texandana

Newbie wants to garden! Need help!

texandana
14 years ago

Hello everyone! I found this forum yesterday and have read many of the posts. The information I've found has been helpful, yet scary!

For a very long time now Ive wanted to start a veggie garden but our backyard fence was in such bad shape, I knew that a rabbit or two would get back there and certainly eat up all my veggies. Now we have a brand new fence and Im ready to start my fall veggie garden!

First of all, Im in Dallas Texas. Im not sure what zone that is, all I know is its zone 3 but not sure if its 3a or 3b. As I stated earlier, my future veggie garden is currenly my backyard. Its a small back yard also so there isnt a lot of room to garden but enough. I have done alot of research online but unfortunately Im still left asking myself "where do i begin?" I know first I need to dig the rows. Should I have my dirt tested first? Im assuming I will need some manure or compost and what else? The weather is warm here and should be getting cold around late December or sometime in January. As far as pests go, the only thing Im worried about are squirrels and bugs. Ive been told I can spray the beds with something called 7 dust??? Its supposed to keep the bugs away, and I think even animals. Anyone use this stuff? I keep reading about how you guys cover your crops to keep the bugs and animals away but I thought veggies needed sunlight to grow? Also, how do you fertilize with kitchen waste? I think thats all I have for now. Sorry for all the questions. Like I said, I have done my own research online but alot of my questions werent answered, and honestly, the websites Ive read make this sound so easy and I know its not but it does sound like its very enjoyable and rewarding! Thank you for any information you can give me!

Dana

Comments (15)