SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Report From The Organic Living Show

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
19 years ago

On our way to the Oklahoma Forum Plant/Seed Swap yesterday, we stopped by the Organic Living Show at the State Fairgrounds. Had a wonderful, though fairly brief, time there and spoke with some farmers/growers about what they are doing agriculturally. Thought some of you might be interested in a couple of them.

SUNRISE ACRES

We met the owner of Sunrise Acres, Robert Stelle, who has a certified organic farm near Blanchard. He is a wonderful, friendly and kind man who spent quite a while discussing with me all the tomato and pepper varieties he grows. (He grows over 20,000 plants a year!) He had a wide variety of plants available at the show yesterday. Here's what he grows/sells:

Tomatoes: 26 heirloom varieties, 61 hybrid or open-pollinated varieties

Peppers: 50 varieties and I believe he had both heirloom and hybrids

He also grows many kinds eggplant, squash, cucumber, okra, cantaloupe and watermelon plants.

He sells the plants right now at the OSU OKC Farmer's Market on Weds. and Sats. So, if you are looking for some heirloom tomatoes or peppers that the nurseries don't carry, you might want to visit him at the Farmer's Market.

He'll be selling produce there, including all kinds of heirloom, OP and hybrid tomatoes, later in the year. If I didn't grow a billion tomatoes for our own use, I'd be visiting him regularly at the farmer's market!

He also has a website: http://sunriseacres.home.att.net.

PIZZA GARDEN/FIELD TRIPS ETC./WORM SOLUTIONS

www.fieldtrips-etc.com

Met the owner of this agricultural enterprise--a family farm that has branched out and diversified to survive and thrive in today's tough agricultural environment. He sells worm castings which are an extra-rich natural organic plant food, and related products. (www.wormsolutions.com)

He has a large pizza garden, survivor maze, worm dig area, animal farm, pioneer museum, hayrides, pumpkin patch, etc. at his place, which is visited by many school groups, scout groups, etc. There are all kinds of things you can do with your kids at his place in Yukon. I think he told us that he has a summer day care and summer camp program, and is starting some sort of Laser Expedition program this summer.

If you want to expose your kids to farm life and activities, check out his web site to see what all he has available.

CATTLE TRACKS NATURAL BEEF, Fairview, OK

We met the owners of this farm, who sell what they call "100% pure, natural beef". They will sell their naturally-raised beef directly to you, and they do deliver to OKC. You can buy everything from a "Mini Moo" pack that is approximately 20 lbs. of beef to a half-side of beef or a whole beef. They will cut/process the half-side or whole beef to your exact specifications.

We sampled their beef and their home-made beef sausage and it was yummy! I intend to buy some of their beef, which is raised with no antibiotics and no synthetic growth hormones, in the very near future.

Their website is: www.johnsfarm.com.

BLUEBONNET FARMS Natural Products

There was a booth there featuring natural products from Bluebonnet Farms, affiliated with Bluebonnet Feeds in Ardmore, Oklahoma. This wasn't new to us, as we live near Ardmore and do buy plants, chicken feed, etc. from Bluebonnet Feed every now and then.

Bluebonnet Farms has a whole line of organic-type products, including Horticultural Corn Gluten Blend, Horticultural Corn Meal, Premium Organic Fertilizer and Soil Energizer.

I don't know if you've seen their products in your part of Oklahoma. Here, we obviously can purchase them at Bluebonnet Feeds in Ardmore.

Their website is www.bluebonnetfarms.com.

Many other exhibitors were there, and I could go on forever, but I won't. I tried to restrict myself to just discussing the gardener/ag types we met, as this is a gardening forum.

Dawn

Comments (7)