SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcnaylor

Report from the Texas Panhandle on climate

rcnaylor
9 years ago

We have had the least rain in the last 3 years of any three year period on record (yes, including the Dust Bowl years). We just had the highest sustained winds for the last 4 days of any 4 day period on record. Lake Meredith is, on paper, one of the 10 biggest reservoirs in the state and has been below the level drinking water can be taken from it for over a year. In short, the climate here is hotter, drier and windier.

Just read yesterday California is in a drought over 100% of its area for the first time in its recorded history.

This climate change is hitting the whole of the SW United States in real and hard ways that look to only get worse.

Not many years ago I feared what the world would do collectively if we decided to do something about the reported climate change. I figured UN types would make the cure worse than the disease.

But, out here in the Panhandle, I am becoming convinced climate change, from whatever source, is real, and we (and apparently that means world wide to be effective) really need to start some of the cures we can hope will make it better.

I read studies about CO2 harvesting plans and equipment. I vote in favor of getting started now. From what I read we have the ability to start and the cost with technological improvement will only come down.

I think gardeners are kind of the canaries in the mine shaft on seeing and being affected by such changes. Maybe we need to be among those leading the collective decision making process. Or at least singing out the need for action.

Comments (39)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus