SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shekanahh

Front Yard Gardening

shekanahh
14 years ago

I downloaded and watched this video from the link I'm posting...."Edible Estates". I'd been wanting to do something like this. I like to grow LOTS of vegetables, fruits, berries, and fruit trees, now that I'm not working and a stay-at-home gardener.

It seems I never have enough room for everything because of the large expanse of lawn I have. And besides, I do get so tired of mowing bermuda. It seems like a waste of time, energy and space as well.

This idea really took hold with me, especially as the food prices on the grocery shelves keep increasing. I am trying to be more self sufficient, and not having to rely on a shaky economy for survival.

I think putting in a front yard garden could be done attractively, and it would be sort of like a modern day suburban "Victory Garden"....and would put food on my table and pantry without paying taxes on it, other than the seeds or plants that go in the ground and the property taxes I pay on that ground. Id' like to make the ground I have produce and work for me instead of it just laying there demanding water and upkeep, and yeah, those never-ending property taxes.

If anyone has any ideas for plants or designs I might use, I would appreciate it. I'm going to lay down some Visquane in the area I want to use, rather than incur the expense of sod removal. This may be unattractive for awhile, but I think I can deal with it. I'm just excited at the possibilities! There is still a small window of time for me to plant some dwarf fruit trees :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible Estates

Comments (5)