SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Hope for hicks - Wireless connection

christie_sw_mo
16 years ago

We don't have cable or DSL available where we are and have heard too many negatives about Satellite so we kept putting that off, waiting for DSL. It's been frustrating because AT&T set up the box for DSL down the road but won't activate it because there aren't enough houses in the area.

I recently came across a post by someone in Maine who had an antenna put on his house out in the country so he could get a wireless connection. There's at least a couple of different technologies for that I think. One uses line-of-sight and one doesn't. We found two companies in our area that can set it up for a 300 to 400 dollar initial cost and then a monthly payment of 25 to 50 dollars depending on the speed of the connection. Even the slowest would be better than dial-up. My DH does quite a bit of work from home so it would be worth the investment for him. We would not be bound to a contract so if AT&T ever activates their stupid box we could switch.

I'm not sure what it's officially called so it's been hard to find information on it. I found a little bit just looking for "rural wireless" on Google. I've seen it called "Fixed Broadband Wireless" and "Fixed Wireless Access" (not sure those are the same thing).

Do you know anyone who's using this technology?

I looked in the Yellow Pages under "internet" to find a company here but it took a lot of phone calls and questions and lots of people didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting