SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jean001_gw

Problems with Vista & D-Link wireless - long

jean001
16 years ago

Trying to connect computer #1 (Dell Inspiron 8200; XP; Pentium 4) with #2 (HP 8100; Vista Home Premium; AMD dual core).

#1 has AVG, Zone Alarm. Not yet on #2 because I can't get online with that machine.

Connection for D-Link 524 Wireless:

#1 is sending unit; #2 is receiver unit.

D-Link site says Di-524 is compatible with Vista.

Addendum: I just recalled that one time Zone Alarm asked permission for D-Link. (At this time, I don't know if that was before or after all connections from #2 failed.)

I don't recall if I allowed or denied. If the latter, what do I look for in Zone Alarm? I checked in Programs but don't see D-Link.

If you need further info, here's the rest of the slow and frustrating story - - -

-- Connection worked fine first day it was set up, for perhaps 10 to 12 hours.

-- Next day, link broken when booted #2 in morning.

-- It is now 3 days hence.

During this time, #2 systray icon usually shows network is connected but #2 is seldom able to connect to INTERNET. When it does, the connection is held only briefly, anywhere between seconds and minutes.

At one point, I used the Recovery Partition that came pre-installed on #2.

After that, no go.

I reinstalled #1 by using Quick Router Setup online at D-Link site. (I also installed the free trial of Network Magic; it hasn't solved the problem either.)

I then used disk that came with access point to set up #2. Then have repeatedly used the built in "helper" within Vista to no avail.

It seems as if things are getting worse each day. Yesterday #2 was able to connect several times, but only briefly. Today #2 can't connect at all, this in spite of flashing light on receiver (ACT) and steady green light (Link).

Put plainly, it doesn't work.

Oh yes, have had other error messages along the way.

With every boot/restart, I get these error messages:

1. entry point apsInitialize not in dynamic link library

2. entry point apsGetInterfaceCount not in dynamic link library

Several other times I have seen this error: WLAN Monitor has stopped.

I've searched with the various error messages and don't find any thing that works.

The most recent thing I did was shutdown #2 computer; disconnect wireless receiver; restart computer #2 and reinstall access point with original CD from manufacturer.

Still no go, in spite of steady green light (Link) and flashing green (ACT).

I'm stumped. What will work?

Comments (10)