SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Starting Seed For Fall Tomatoes

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

I think I will start my seed for fall tomato plants on Sunday. Can't do it today--going to be mowing and weedeating all day long. Can't do it tomorrow--gotta go to a wedding. So, it looks like Sunday is it.

Here's the list of tomato varieties I'm going to grow specifically for fall:

FOR CANNING/DRYING/FREEZING:

Burpee's Big Mama

Jersey Devil

Principe Borghese

Grandma Mary's Paste

Rio Grande

Martino's Roma

San Marzano Redorta

Viva Italia

Window Box Roma

FOR LONG-KEEPING TOMATOES (to eat in the winter):

Keepsake VFFNTA

Longkeeper

Long Season Peach

Sunray

FOR ABILITY TO SET FRUIT IN SUMMER HEAT (to eat fresh):

Solar Set R

Solar Fire VFFF

Sun King

Sioux

Super Sioux

FOR THE FUN OF IT, TO EAT, AND FOR HISTORICAL PURPOSES:

Livingston's Dwarf Stone

Livingston's Favorite

Livingston's Globe

Livingston's Gold Ball

Livingston's Golden Queen

Livingston's Magnum

Livingston's Main Crop Pink

Livingston's Paragon

Livingston's Perfection

Livingston's Stone

All the Livingston's tomatoes did really well last year. Most of them were fall tomatoes, but a few were spring tomatoes as well.

In addition to all these, at least some of my spring-planted cherry, currant and grape tomatoes will continue to produce into fall. And, of course, some of the larger-fruited ones will carry over to fall as well, barring some sort of disaster or calamity. Unfortunately, with our weather and our diverse array of pests, garden disaster or calamity always seems one day away. LOL

With the spring-planted tomatoes not even at their peak yet, it seems idiotic to be starting seed for more plants. However, experience has taught me that, if I decide to carry over all the spring plants to the fall, I will be bitterly disappointed by them--they'll either get burnt up by the August heat or the spider mites and stink bugs will get them.

I'm hoping to get the fall tomatoes into the ground between the end of June and the end of July.

And, if you'd rather take cuttings from your spring-planted tomatoes in order to raise fresh plants for fall, it is really easy to do and you can go from fresh cutting to a plant in the ground in just 2 or 3 weeks.

Dawn

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH