SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Tomato Varieties Started for the Fall Garden

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

These are the tomato varieties I've started for the fall garden.

They are a mix of the heirloom Livingston tomatoes I routinely plant for fall (they are tough and summer weather does not bother them at all), long-keeper types, a few paste types, some cherry and grape types for drying, heat-setting types, and a few varieties I either planted in spring and lost or meant to plant in spring (but forgot to plant or misplaced the seed packet).

Here's what I started from seed earlier this week:

LIVINGSTON TYPES:

If you are interested in knowing the history of the Livingston tomatoes, you can see accurate descriptions of them at victoryseeds.com. I originally tried them all because I wanted to see what tomatoes released in the 1800s and early 1900s looked like/tasted like and how they performed in comparison to tomatoes commonly grow today. To my surprise, I found them to be excessively heat-tolerant and disease/pest-resistant, so I've grown them as fall tomatoes ever since. They are not, by far, the "oldest" varieties I grow, but they are very old. For fun, I've included their official year of introduction in parentheses.

1. Dwarf Stone (1902)

2. Favorite (1883)

3. Globe (1905)

4. Gold Ball (1892)

5. Golden Queen (1882)

6. Honor Bright (Lutescent)(1897)

7. Ideal (1930)

8. Magnus (1900)

9. Main Crop Pink (1941)

1. Paragon (1870)
  2. Stone (1889)

Usually, I grow "Perfection" too, but couldn't find the seed, so don't know if I'm out of seed of this variety or have simply misplaced it.

LONGKEEPER TYPES:

1. Sunray (technically not a longkeeper, but George has found it to have a long shelf life, so I'm going to try growing it as one)
  2. Longkeeper
  3. Long-Season Peach
  4. Keepsake

PASTE:

1. Opalka
  2. Rio Grande
  3. San Marzano Redorta

CHERRIES/GRAPES FOR DEHYDRATING:

1. Cuban Yellow Grape
  2. Sun Cherry
  3. Sun Gold
  4. Golden Sweet
  5. Fargo

HEAT-SETTING TYPES:

1. Solar Set R
  2. Solar Fire

SLICING TYPES:

1. True Black Brandywine
  2. Dixie Golden Giant
  3. Blody Butcher
  4. Mountain Glory VFFF/TSWV
  5. Mountain Fresh Plus

If the in-the-ground plants are still producing well at planting time (and they likely will be since all are late this wet year), I am not sure where I'll put all these, but somehow I always manage to find room for them.

These varieties are not necessarily replacements for the spring-planted tomatoes. If the spring-planted tomatoes are still going strong, these are "additional" plants, but if the spring-planted toamtoes are wearing out, slowing down, diseases, excessively stressed, etc., then they are used as replacements.

So, those of you who grow new varieties for the fall garden--what seeds have you started?

Dawn

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022