SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ko_kosta

Glass Balcony Tomato Garden! - Looking 4 Best Heirloom tomato variety?

Kosta D
7 years ago

Just finishing my last tomatoes from 2015/April-seedlings. Grew on 7th floor glassed balcony; South and West face unobstructed sun. Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Loved the fact of harvesting my tomatoes while looking out at a snowstorm outside!
Varieties used: Black Krim, Purple Cherokee, Brandy Wine, and some cherry tomato ....
Results:
Black Krim- slow leaf - slow during summer, good fall, produced well in winter...
Purple Cherokee - fast leaf- low product both summer, fall, and winter
Brandy Wine - Lots of leaf and fast leaf - lots of product summer and fall, slow product winter.
cherry - it just grew... super easy...
PROBLEMS:
1. Had some tiny insects on most of the plants that also infected some of my other houseplants. Didn't look like they were harming the tomato plants, but they were there and multiplying at one point (summer). Fall they all died on their own. I think they were aphids, but im not 100% on that.
2. Winter- once colder and rainy weather came in, started with the Black Krim variety (I think), mildew attacked hard! Had to spray with fungicide :(.
NEED HELP picking best variety for next growing season and my circumstance.
Want to plant 3 different indeterminate plants and 2 cherries. I plant in March/April and they go all year! Just cut down, fertilize, and plant the next! Not bad for first time ;)
If you had growing experience in this kind of circumstance, your wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
Tips & Tricks like Epson Salt and Egg Shells are very welcomed and recognized! Thank You

Comments (6)