SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
delta_charlie_gw

Fall tomatoes and lettuce off to good start.

delta_charlie
16 years ago

Hi all, I just put out most of my fall tomatoes and lettuce to begin the harding off process. They were started back on the second weekend in August. Here is the line up as best I can remember:

Lettuce:

Green leaf lettuce that I saved seeds from but fogot the variety. I think it might be Grand Rapids but I'm not sure. I had by far the best germination from these seeds.

Australian Yellow leaf, a very large leaf lettuce that did well last year but only a few seeds came up.

Flame lettuce, does very well in the heat but only a few seeds came up.

Tomatoes:

Hybrid, Hazera seed:

Polina, a tough TYLCV (Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus) resistant red early mid size round tomato.

Shanty, another tough TYLCV resistant hybrid that is a red roma.

Inbar, round red TYLCV resistant hybrid. This one also has resistance to F1 F2 and nemtodes. I suspect it may also resist taste ;-)

I had a big problem last spring with TYLCV and I'm planting these three hybrids as insurance against the TYLCV.

I cleared the spring garden more then 60 days before I started the falls crop and this alone may help get the TYLCV under control. I also will not be buying or planting any tomatoes that I did not start from seed. I think my problems last year and spring may have started from a tomato plant I bought from a store.

Now come the OPs

Kimberly, if the TYLCV leaves it along I should have a zillion golf ball size round red tomatoes that taste great. I really look forwared to this one!

The rest are from seeds from Tony, thanks!

My first try at this these.

Japanese Black.

Polish Dwarf.

Goose Creek.

Question on these three, about what size do the plants grow to? I need to decide who goes in the raised bed and who goes into pots.

I wish I could plant more but my fall garden is much smaller then my spring garden.

Take care, DC

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting