SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

It 's Raining, It's Pouring, and It's Flooding

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

Not again.

How can it possibly be raining yet again? Raise your hand if you're tired of the rain. : )

It has been raining moderately hard here for several hours and shows no sign of letting up. It is getting old.

We've already received more rain here in Love County this year than we had in all of 2008.

It seems to me that this year is starting to look very similar to 2007 in terms of spring rainfall and that is not a good thing. I think much of the state is at risk of having major flooding issues in May and June if this rain continues to fall, and it seems to be doing just that.

Flooding is occurring in the Red River counties today, from several counties west of Love County and all the way east to the border with Arkansas. In some counties--especially McCurtain County which recorded over 8" of rain yesterday, it is plain old flooding. In other counties, it is just the more temporary flash flooding you get when heavy rains fall on already-saturated soil.

In drought-plagued parts of our state, rain is always a blessing but too much rain brings its own problems.

I think I am growing webbed feet. We no longer have a lawn--it is a small lake. The garden? My hopes for its survival fade daily. If I have added up my rain gauge's totals correctly, we had about 16" of rainfall in April, most of which fell in one day, and have had about 5" more in May. May, of course, is still "young" and undoubtedly much more rain will fall this month.

If I'd know the weather would do this, I would have planted wild rice and watercress instead of stadard warm-season veggies.

Hope everyone stays dry today.

Dawn

Comments (21)