SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merryheart_gw

Advice needed on several things

merryheart
16 years ago

I have been watching things in my yard over the past several weeks and seem to have some problem areas which I really don't know what to do about.

1) Cardinal flower vines (ipomea sloteri) which I planted in large trough type planters which sit either side of the garden arch I bought recently. In them I planted two types of sweet potato vine and also the Cardinal vine seeds which I posted a thread about a few weeks ago. The seeds came up quickly but the plants have just been sitting there doing nothing for a long time now...not growing at all. They are 2 1/2 to 3 inches tall only and have stayed that way for weeks now! At this rate I will never cover that arch this year. The sweet potato plants are growing very slowly also. Help....should I use some type of plant food and if so what kind? Or will they just not grow until it gets hot? And I sure don't want to use any water soluble food on anything right now due to too much WATER again! Or should I just go buy some other vine and plant in there?

2)I have lots of daylilies which are not blooming. Out of several large clumps in various areas of the yard I have ONE Stella D'Orco lily blooming today. I have a lot of the old fashioned type which we used to call Tiger lilies which I got from a lady and I don't know the name of them. They are medium orange in color.

My oriental lilies are blooming and doing well.

The day lilies in one bed are pretty crowded and I have LOTS of other bulbs in it as well. Could it be too crowded and need thinning or do they need bone meal or other food to get them to bloom?

3) SQUASH--I GIVE UP!!! I have tried polinating them myself but still the baby fruit are dying....and now the plants have mildew!!!! Great--I love this yucky cloudy weather and humdity and coolness.....NOT! lol

I just told my DH this morning that best I can figure we have had about 6 to 8 hours of sun in the past 2 to 3 weeks! And that was still not full sunshine but partly cloudy where the sun would be covered by clouds every so often! And we live the SUNNY SIDE OF THE ARBUCKLES? I don't think so...not lately anyway.

It seems that really nothing I have is doing truly well....but most things are doing okay. I will try not to complain on it all...lol. My poor roses are starting to bloom for the second time but the plants have lost so much foliage due to the black spot they are not their usual gorgeous selves.

My soft needle yucca is in full bloom....what a desert plant that one is...hahaha and it looks sort of odd out there 10 to 12 feet away from my dwarf magnolia which is also blooming...lol.

This west facing house has been a CHALLENGE to say the least with almost no shade whatsoever until now when my small trees are finally getting a little size to them. So I have all sorts of strange bed fellows planted together out front...lol. Santolina-holly-mugo pine-arboviate-nandina-spirea-and on the end where NOTHING would live-sage and yucca....lol.....sounds strange I know but I kept planting and things kept dying so I would get on the net and look up plants which can take the heat and when I would find them at the nuseries I would just plant that...lol. I have actually had compliments on it...even from the landscaper guy who came to check on the French drains we had him install......who would have thought? lol

I have volunteer tomatoes coming up everywhere....in the garden beds and in one of the flower beds and even 5 of them I found this morning in the compost bin....lol! With God's blessings perhaps we will manage to at least have tomatoes!

I planted two more containers yesterday of flowers and plants. I had a tier planter which I made several years ago and yesterday I dedided to plant in it. IF it does well I will post pics after it grows and fills in more. In it I planted lantana, periwinkle, one plant which was an unknown by the nursery lady in a tent at the mall, it is a small plant with deep yellow small flowers and leaves which resemble zinnia only smaller. I will have to try I.D. that one. Also Dusty Miller and in top planter above it I planted rose moss and cypress vine.....hahaha. IF the Cypress vine grows I hope to keep it wrapped around the pole between the two planters....it is another of my weird experiments. LOL

Also I planted a shade planter with caladium, spike moss and some vinca vine....not sure the vinca was what I wanted in it but it was handy so used that. The Spike Moss is a gorgeous chartruese green....I love mosses but have few shady spots to plant them in. I put the planter in the area where we took out my "mystery tree"....a very shady spot this time of year. I hope it does good.

So guess that is all for now......I guess I am partly commenting on Susan's post earlier this week..what is going on in your garden or something like that. I have LOTS more going on in the yard but I am too lazy to type it all in...lol.

I do hope someone of you will help with the advice I need on my Cardinal Vine, sweet potato vines and the lilies.

Thanks so much!

G.M.

Comments (8)