SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highprairiehippy_gw

no till gardening questions

highprairiehippy
15 years ago

Howdy to All:

To make a short story long I'm a thansplanted Florida sand gardener.We're going on our second year garden here and could use some advice. The garden is 100 x 100.I started off scattering the "topsoil"(what was scraped off the top putting in roads,barn pad,etc.) it's loamy and cement hard when dry.On top of that I covered it with 3in of half brokendown tree grindings MO dot had left for folks to take.I capped it off with 4in of well composted cow manure I got for cleaning out an old dairy barn.I did all this over the course of early winter, and let it sit till spring. Our yield was ok.In early fall we put a couple of pigs on it til the 1st of the year, then limed. They ate up the refuse,pooped,and rooted the dickens out of place.Well, that brings us to the here and now.every ammendment has broken down to a earthworm rich 3in topsoil. underneath the loam is still packed hard. I really would like to get away from doing anymore tilling. Theres a lively debate going on in this household.Y-all could sure do alot by giving your 2cents worth.Sorry to have been so wordy,but y-ll needed all the info to form an opinion.

Comments (11)