SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieowens_gw

To till or not to till, that is the question

julieowens
15 years ago

Last winter we bought 18 acres of pasture just outside of town. It is flood irrigated. Husband has planted some apple trees, and I've fixed up a place for asparagus and raspberries. But now I'm getting serious about a nice garden. The soil is growing various grasses and alfalfa, clover, and lots of weeds. I staked out where I want my garden (about 50 x 50 feet for the first year). I mowed the existing vegetation and started a compost pile. Then I started with the rototiller, and made about 3 passes the length of the garden. Rocks, rocks and more rocks. I've spent 2 weeks just getting the rocks out of that little strip 3' by 50'. Meanwhile, I've been reading garden books like crazy. Some say not to rototill at all, because it scares the worms away. The soil looks pretty fertile, it is nice and loamy, but there is a lot of gravel in it.

I know I want some root crops - potatoes and onions and maybe carrots, so they will get this 3' strip that is relatively rock free to a depth of about 12 inches.

But for the rest of the garden, what do you all suggest - should I till it all up? It's pretty packed, especially with the rocks. I could leave the rocks where I'm planting things like corn, tomatoes and the usual, just removing the boulders that give the rototiller heart failure.

Next question (maybe for a different forum) - are there any crops that don't do well at all with flood irrigation? We get as much water as we want for 6 days, then none for 14 days. However, during those 14 days, our neighbor waters and his drain ditch goes right beside my garden, so I can supplement with his wastewater during dry spells. The wastewater may be a little more alkaline than the plants will like, but our baby apple trees have really liked it all summer.

I want to put it a water tank or pond so we can fill it on our 6 days and have water any time I want it for my garden, but so far the husband thinks he needs a tractor more than I need a water tank. I've got all winter to change his mind on that one.

Comments (17)