SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julianna_il

To till or not till, that's the question

julianna_il
17 years ago

This is my third year on a garden I had tilled the first year. Last year I did the lasagna method with okay results. (I didn't really know what I was doing and the materials did not break down until after the garden was done, but I had no weeds)

First year, when I tilled the fresh ground, few bugs. Second year, it was a plague of bugs, a real nightmare. This was also the year I went organic, so I was used to being able to sprinkle Sevin and be done. Organic is a bit more challenging. (But rewarding)

So this year, I was thinking I'd till again. My neighbor has a tiller I can use, and thought I'd till in some of my first batch of compost. I know there's a school of thought that tilling is bad because it upsets the soil environment.

But I'm wondering...if I till, would that bring bad bug eggs to the top and kill them in any way? What are the benefits of tilling, other than making soil easier to work with and easier to mix in the compost?

My garden plot is completely weed free, though I've got a few spots of Hairy Vetch growing. (Hairy vetch didn't do so well)

I'm also pretty sure I'm going to order this contraption, the whole system:

http://neatitems.com/Dirt_Daug.htm

I can use it for bulb planting, and I plan to plant quite a few dahlias out back this spring. And I plan to really give it a good workout in my compost pile.

But I could also work individual spots of soil in the veg. garden instead of tilling up the whole thing.

So I guess my overall query is what would the pros and cons of tilling the entire garden versus using the auger to work in spots? Is there a problem just working compost into spots instead of the entire garden?

Thanks!

Juliana

Comments (29)