SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Tilling the Glacial Till, un-till . . .

digit
10 years ago

We just keep swinging back into cool weather here near 49 degrees North. It must be quite a contrast to further south.

Lovely day, yesterday and today looks great! Then, we are right back to highs in the mid-60's, lows well down in the 40's! Wind. There have only been 4 days out of the last 30 when the average daily temperature has been above 65o. Sub-normal 20 out of 30 days.

I have just been reflecting on my cultivation tasks that were all finished over a month ago. People may be surprised that I use a spading fork to cultivate a fairly large garden. I didn't use it on the new addition - the tractor guy tilled that for us. But, I like using the spading fork and in the garden where I've been scratching around for the last 17 years, the soil is so loose that I don't even need to step on it to sink the fork to the full 11" of the tines.

This isn't true where I have just gotten the ground into beds in another garden. It is some time-consuming work. I figure that in my worse ground, it takes me a full minute for every square foot I cover . . . It'll get better in another year or 2.

Okay, so I finished with all that spading over a month ago. I know people who are just setting out warm-season plants here! No, I mean the 15th of June not sometime in April (Heaven Forbid)!

My peppers and eggplants have suffered beyond all measure from being in the garden for the last couple of weeks. The zinnias look like something went thru and beat the daylights out of each one of them! The tall marigolds that I wanted to try this year are purple. No, I mean top to bottom - there's no purple marigold flower that I know of.

So, you see. Working out there in the garden 8 or 10 weeks ago and finishing all those tasks after about a month, kept me out of mischief. I guess that's a positive.

Oh hey, I've had lots of cool-season greens: mustard, lettuce, bok choy, choy sum, spinach, green onions . . .

Steve

Comments (21)