SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Vegetable garden: Till vs. No-Till

alisande
13 years ago

I was happy to learn yesterday that my DS and DIL are going to revive most of the area my DH and I used for a vegetable garden. It's been lying fallow for about 10 years. In that time, tall weeds have taken over, and this time of year their hard, dry brown stems are on the ground, partially covering the new, green weeds that are beginning to sprout.

My DH always tilled the garden every year. Our garden was healthy and prolific, but we fought a constant battle with weeds. In recent years I've been reading about the benefits of no-till gardening, which involves covering the soil with various materials--straw, compost, newspaper, etc., suppressing weeds as well as improving the soil. As I look at the space today, that's the way I'd like to go with it.

However, covering approximately 2,500 sq. ft. with a thick layer of "lasagna" is a daunting process. The first question is "Where are we going to get it?" My son is unfamiliar with the process, and he is inclined to till. I'd be interested to hear your experiences with both methods. Anyone?

Comments (18)