SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Oh by Gosh by Golly How I Love a Holly

runktrun
15 years ago

This fall when I was walking with a friend through my garden and was clearly stressed by the beating most of my hollies have taken over the last few years thanks to scale, mites, voles, rabbits, and winter burn, she commented how surprised she was that I hadnÂt given up planting them in my landscape. GIVE UP ILEX was she insane, this majestic tree is truly the Queen not only of all evergreen trees and shrubs but I will go as far as to say the entire plant kingdom. I can think of no other plant that will work as well in a formal landscape as it will in a casual woodland setting. The reflection of light on itÂs shiny leaves, the form of of both ilex trees and shrubs canÂt be beat, will happily withstand pruning year round so cuttings can be brought indoors for the holidays, come on admit it this multi use plant that will grow happily in most zones under conditions that would make many other plants drop to their knees or at least drop their leaves should crowned queen of any garden.

"The Holly Society of America" is a great resource for a further look at this plant. Among many other things they offer a long list of recommended books and pamphlets at very reasonable prices. As I already depend on guidance from the Brooklyn Botanic Garden Record ÂHollies a Gardeners Guide and "Hollies The Genus Ilex" Fred C. Galle I doubted I needed anything else to add to my library until I saw; Charles W. McComb, A Field Guide to Insect Pests of Holly, 1985. 122 pages. This comprehensive field manual is specifically designed and illustrated to help identify 71 insects and mites found on holly in the U.S. Each listing indicates reported range, host plants, and types of injury inflicted. This publication is the only one of its kind currently in print. $7.00

How have you used ilex in your landscape, as a specimen, hedge, shrub border, woodland planting? Have you had pest problems? What have you done to solve them? Show us some photos of your favorites.

Every once in a while I get the urge to play around propagating ilex I wonder would anyone be interested in swapping named ilex cuttings? Perhaps through the mail in early spring?

Here is a new 3 Ilex centrochinensis x aquifolium ÂCentennial Girl bought this fall and not a month later a %&@#$$$ rabbit considered it as well as a couple of new ilex glabra dinner. It will take a few years but I have faith they will recover how many other varieties plants can say the same thing with confidence.

Comments (11)