SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

Oh my gosh...look at my porch ceiling...

User
13 years ago

We have our original GC back. We used him when we first restored the house in 2001-2002. He is the one that converted our attic to living space. He had moved away , used to live across the street from us. He is BACK ! He loves old stuff and restoring.

He pulled down the old luan board that some num-nut had used to cover the original ceiling. I even have the color showing so I can match the original haint blue . We only need about 30 sq ft of wood to replace the parts that a po destroyed when they added electricity. You can see some of the old knob and tube dangling down LOL. We have a good friend that has an old house on his property and he is giving us some of the wood that is in good shape.

Boy am I happy about this. He is also going to do the bricks " right" that I tried to do 1 1/2 yrs ago. I didn't know what I was doing so now it will be right.

Here are the pics of the process of the removing the luan.

luan board:

uh oh...a few gaps LOL :

all of this is in great shape :

haint blue showing through :

bricks getting ready to be repointed:

Spring has definitely sprung. I spent the AM painting/staining the arbors that I never finished. More pics when I am done. c

Comments (36)

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

It is going to be beautiful! The Haint Blue is lovely, one of my favorite colors. I've been thinking for a long time of putting that color on our tiny front porch ceiling, so I can't wait for the pictures when it's finished.

Isn't it great to have a GC like yours! Our GC is also a neighbor and like yours, believes in restoring, maintaining the "mood", and polishing up the details. He has a great eye and we've learned that when we ask "what do you think", he's usually right.

Good luck, and don't forget to post the "reveal"...

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

I have seen and studied a fair share of Haint Blue color samples.

Looks like you peeled into a lil bit of color treasure there -- it's beautiful.

• Related Discussions

Oh My Gosh!! Look what we have!!

Q

Comments (17)
    Bout time I got off my lazy can and chimed in on this. I know EXACTLY how excited you are to see this handsome bird at last. I fist saw a pileated here about 8 or 9 years ago. Oddly enough, our truck had developed problems and my husband and I were pulled over out in the middle of nowhere with the hood up trying to get it running again. I was standing back out of the way and wishing I was elsewhere when I saw it...a pileated woodpecker flying over. I'd only seen them in books but it was like a kick in the gut and I started dancing around , pointing and screaming. Of course, when your husband is stretched out across a greasy hot engine block in his good jeans, trying to coax that P.O.S. into getting us back on the road, he isn't really in the mood to get all goofy about a woodpecker, especially, as he stated later when I was grumpy that he wouldn't look, since IT COULDN'T HAVE BEEN A PILEATED. And then about three years later I saw the first one here in our own woods. I doubted it even then, and ran the whole 1/2 mile back to the house through the nettle and mosquitoes to get my binocs. I could never get close enough for a good look but I was sure of it....we had pileateds. And I got the same response from my husband: Don't be silly. I soon got used to hearing their loud ringing ke-ke-ke-ke-ke-ke, but he wasn't impressed. Then one morning we were eating breakfast and watching out the window as usual and he about choked on his frosted flakes. There was a big flash of black and white and there it was, about 20 yards out on the side of a large oak. There was total chaos for a moment as we tried to locate the d--mn binocs (spot a new bird and see if your field glasses don't vaporize)and then I was doubted no longer. I bet you just about gave everybody a coronary when they heard you start hollering. I am wondering how inthe world it held still long enough for you to go fetch the camera and get a good shot. Would never have happened for me. And by the way, I did like everybody else, searching high and low through that HUGE picture, dying to see what was in there. At first I was scratching my head because it appeared to me that there was a bobcat-shaped creature casually sitting among your chickens, which didn't really make sense. Then I saw it. Congrats congrats congrats!!!! I bet it is looking for grubs and carpenter ants among the trees damaged by the ice storm you got two winters back.
    ...See More

Roofers ruined my pretty blue porch ceiling

Q

Comments (39)
    Most of you need to understand manufactures requirements. Roofing nails MUST penetrate 1/4 Inch thur the decking. You will have no warranty if wind blows your roof off or insurance due to improper installation. I would have made you sign a warranty waiver knowing you were voiding your warranty. So when this takes place you will be complaining he used the wrong nails. It is not the roofers fault your house was built with the roof decking as the ceiling. Know your facts people before you talk trash about something you know nothing about.
    ...See More

Trim, Ceiling, Door color, Oh My

Q

Comments (2)
    I haven't used the Chalk Gray but didn't use Decorator White either for my space because I wanted a softer contrast with my walls and furniture. We ended up using Antique White.
    ...See More

Need help with my porch ceiling

Q

Comments (6)
    Perhaps the first tool to use is a stud finder, to figure out where your joists are and what you have to nail/screw to. Also, figure out how you are going to handle the ends... if there is trim there now, taking it off might give you a hint of what's underneath. You need to plan your trim for the new stuff too. And come to think of it, perhaps you already have a better ceiling underneath, if this is an old house. Oh, and when you take down the beadboard, beware of what may come down with it (mouse nests, insulation, etc). Wear protective glasses, masks, and probably a hat. KarinL
    ...See More
  • nicole__
    13 years ago

Very pretty blue! Can't wait for the completed pics......

• prill
    13 years ago

That looks like a great spring project. Love the blue. I've been thinking of painting my little porch ceiling blue too.

So glad you got your GC back. Hard to find a good one. Please keep us posted. I'm about to post hinge pictures on the other thread for you.

• iknownothingatall
    13 years ago

In a way, you have that num-nut to thank for the ceiling. He could have just pulled it down, right?

It's so nice that you have someone to work on this that loves to restore old houses. It will be lovely when it's done.

What is Haint Blue?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sable : I am so excited . You are right it is so hard to find someone that is interested in " old stuff" . I had a couple folks look at it in the past and they were all wanting to rip it all out and replace with the new sheets of bead board. Nope , no way . For sure you all will be the first to see the reveal.

funcolors: I was SO HOPING you would see this ! I was going to post something to get your attention and approval. I have read your article in haint blue so many times and was going to send for a sample from you. Would you like a paint chip from this ? I would be more than glad to send you a piece of the wood with paint. This is like a treasure hunt for sure and I hit gold. What kind of paint would you suggest on a covered porch in the South ????

nicole it is very pretty. I will post before the week is out.

prill : I am so glad to have him back and his helper is great too. I have a list of things for them to do....now I need my money tree to Spring forth :)

iknow: you are RIGHT of course LOL. It is the same thing as when we found our heart pine floors under ugly carpet...another treasure waiting to be discovered. The ceiling is in great condition and barely needs sanding. The " new" wood will be in great condition too so I am actually pretty lucky. My GC said to use my orbital sander and 100 or 200 paper and just touch it up. Haint blue is something that funcolors has written about . Here is the link :

Here is a link that might be useful: Funcolors article

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ceiling fan on the far end or not ? There isn't one now and we are leaving the light fixture over the front door as it matches the wall fixtures next to the door.

we would love to have a fan but as I look at all the ones available I don't see anything that makes my heart sing. So think of the setting...white wicker furniture and the haint blue ceiling...a simple white fan...no light as we don't need one. or suggestions ????

• User
    13 years ago

Wish I had a space like that! It's going to be so pretty, I can't wait to see the finished product! I hope you plan on posting pictures!!!

• natal
    13 years ago

We have tongue & groove on all porch ceilings. The open porch ceilings are painted dirt dauber blue, but the screened porch ceiling is white. I can't believe they covered tongue & groove on your house with luan.

• natal
    13 years ago

Regarding ceiling fan ... dh & I were sitting on the garden shed porch this afternoon taking a break and we both commented on how we wished we had installed a ceiling fan there instead of two can lights. We have two fans on the screened porch, but it would have been nice to have one on the shed porch for those much-needed gardening breaks.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lukki: uh...well maybe I will post finished pics ...HA ...you guys are my best appreciators !! Of course you will get 1st pics.

natal....you are so cool. That is JUST what I said. But you wanna know what that tongue and groove is ??? it is the roof decking from the original 1890 metal roof !!! They didn't use plywood , none invented in 1890. So they had this " stuff" and they built a solid GORGEOUS floor and covered it with tin. Unfortunately there is no more tin roof...don't even get me started. I actually thought about removing all the heart pine rafters and exposing that t&g....but my checking acct and GC and DH stopped me. Amazing what they thought of as utilitarian and we think of as WONDERFUL !! It will be there for another day. Safe and sound. Now the fan....should I just use a tall old fashioned oscillating fan ? Keep the ceiling intact ? c

• dorothy9_gw
    13 years ago

If I planned to use the porch it would have to have a fan and I don't think I would want a tall oscillating fan.
    Surely someone must make one that would looked like it belonged in your situation. You are lucky that they did not tear out all the original boards before doing the luan stuff.

• lesterd
    13 years ago

That is one great find! It will look great fully restored. I'm just curious...on the end of the beadboard where there is no paint at all, can you tell if the wood was just left stained as the very first original ceiling? I can't tell if the darker wood color is just the result of dirt over time of if it was stained and finished.

Our porch ceiling is currently white, but we know it was stained/finished wood in it's original state. My project for this summer is to strip the white off....Michaelangelo, here I come!

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

That home improvement is going to be a major improvement
    and high impact. Good luck with the job.
    A fan is a wonderful addition. Our daughter has a ceiling
    fan in her gazebo and it's a delight.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dorothy, we are very lucky that they just covered it up. They are going to complete the patches today and then I can lightly sand and paint. I am torn about the fan. I think a plain white Hunter would disappear but I am going to go look at Lowes and see.

Lester it isn't dirt. It is just the original wood but no stain. You can tell that they put up the wood and then painted. There are 3 different colors. Green,blue and white. The wood was never stained though. I saw beautiful stained wood ceilings in Chicago when I was there last Summer. Most of the bungalows had stained ceilings not painted. I think it depends on what part of the country you are in as to the wood treatment.

Joanne, thanks for looking. I agree a fan is nice. Currently I have a very old oscillating table fan that we use....I kinda like the vintage feel of that. I will just have to look and decide today as he has to make a hole and put the wires. c

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

How fabulous is that???? Your porch will be great once it's done. There are so many ceiling fans these days, you should be able to find a perfect one.

A front porch ceiling redo is on our list this summer. DH is going to put up tongue and groove like yours, and we're going to paint it the Ohio haint blue Funcolors discovered in Dresden, Ohio, which is just around the corner from us (not literally around the corner). I just have to buy it on her website. But I'm sharing your excitement about a new great porch!
    Dee

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

What a nice surprise. I can't wait to see what it looks like!

• Lyban zone 4
    13 years ago

If it were me, I would have the GC make the hole and put the wires for now. If you are not ready to put the fan right away, the electrical will be in place for the future.
    Just my thoughts.

• nancybee_2010
    13 years ago

Looking forward to seeing it when it's done! How old is your house?

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I'm painting my kitchen and pantry ceilings blue, so far I've had two painters come to give me estimates and after I'd tell them what color I chose, their faces would light up. :)

Why is your porch blue called "haint" blue? My shade will be a little lighter than that.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dee: that is so exciting . I can't wait to see your pics...be sure to do before and after. I love fc's colors and all the stories about the " haint" part :) The t&g is actually up above the rafters and is the decking for the roof. The ceiling is the original beaded board. After I told lester is wasn't stained I looked again and it was. But I want the paint that is the first color used.

boop : me either !!

lyban : exactly what he said ! So that is what we will do. I found a Casablanca fan with beaded board blades. Not sure if I like it. It is $350 and I really don't want to spend that much. Lowes had nothing except brown for outdoors and one palmetto leaf blade. So none of those will work. Need to check HD.

nancy: It was built in 1890. Oldest in the area. But most were built in a 10 yr range.

schoolhouse I think of you everytime I look up at it. I told my DH about your project. He was very impressed as am I. Any blue ceiling is called a haint blue , at least most are and they are all different shades depending on the part of the country. Have a look at the link to fc's article and you get a better understanding. You should look at the Ohio color that dee is using. c

• les917
    13 years ago

Can you wire in for several lights along the ceiling of the porch? I think it is nice when you want to sit out there at night, but it also highlights the porch space and gives it depth at night - very warm and welcoming.

As for a ceiling fan, I would think something very simple and white would be best, more in character with the period of the house.

Can't wait to see the blue ceiling!

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

trailrunner, thank you for the compliment and thanks for directing me to the article on haint blues. I learned something today, I'm going to save the article so that when someone asks about my ceilings I can tell a good story. Even tho I'm not using authentic Ohio haint blue. Love it. I was a bit down in the dumps today until I re-read this thread.

• natal
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse, from what I've always understood haint blue is a generic term that covers a multitude of blue shades. My neighborhood BM dealer called their blue ceiling paint dirt dauber blue. It's all good! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Why so blue?

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

I would like to add to the story of Haint Blue. Its origins go back much farther than American customs. Belief in the evil eye (which is what "haints" are) began in the ancient Middle East. The belief in its power is mentioned in the Old Testament and took hold in surrounding areas and tribes and also in Greece. Traditionally there are two ways to thwart the evil eye. One is by use of the color blue, and it should be a light bright blue. So when you travel in the Middle East, whether by taxi or bus or even private car, there will almost always be some blue beads strung behind the rear-view mirror. Camels have the beads attached to their halters or bridles. Many many homes have a hamsa - the solid five-fingered palm print, said by Muslims to be the hand of Fatima, the daughter of Muhammed, but actually also a symbol in other religions of the region - painted in blue on the outside of the house. Super-lucky is to paint a blue outline of the Great Mosque of Mecca on the house. This is reserved for one who is a "haj", who has made the demanded pilgrimage to Mecca.

It is apparent that Muslims carried the concept of blue as a device to thwart the evil eye into Africa and Spain during their expansions. From Spain and then from Africa it was brought to the Western Hemisphere, but it also spread east as far as Islam traveled. One of my favorite possessions is a tiny brass camel that my father brought me from Baghdad when I was a little girl. It has a haint blue bead attacked to its neck by a small chain. It's been with me in every home I've lived in, no matter the state or country.

Among Jews, both Yiddish speakers from Europe and with virtually all Israelis as well, there is the powerful custom of adding "without the evil eye" to any information that might denote good luck, and hence attract the attention of the E.E., which you Do Not Want. So a typical conversation (even in emails!) goes like this (translated from Hebrew and Yiddish):

A: So your son is getting married?
    B: Yes, without the evil eye!

A: I hear that your daughter is expecting?

A: So Grandma is doing well?

By adding this phrase - "keina hora" for any Yiddish speakers here - you have prevented the evil eye from noticing your good fortune.

So, Trailrunner, if you add a neatly painted tiny haint blue hamsa next to your front door, you'll be all set!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Les thank you ! I am going to find something simple and white for sure, now that I have looked and looked.

I have 2 candleiers that I use on the porch at night. They each hold 12 tealights so make a nice glow . We have spotlights that we use for the Victorian Porch Tour at Christmas but they are BRIGHT. We like to be " in the dark" pretty much when we are out there.

I am looking forward to the blue too !

I am glad to have cheered you up schoolhouse. I hope that your project gets finished soon and then you can get out into the garden where you really shine too ! Post pics so we can ooh and ahh :)

natal I like the dirt dauber blue too ! c

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

funcolors: I was SO HOPING you would see this ! I was going to post something to get your attention and approval. I have read your article in haint blue so many times and was going to send for a sample from you. Would you like a paint chip from this ? I would be more than glad to send you a piece of the wood with paint. This is like a treasure hunt for sure and I hit gold. What kind of paint would you suggest on a covered porch in the South ????

Are you kidding!? Yes, I'd love a sample and will reimburse you for shipping & handling! Thank you. I'm so excited that someone is sending *ME* a sample of Haint Blue! lol!

SW Duration in matte would be a good choice. Duration's film actually goes on at the thickest mil rate than any other exterior brand. Thickest mil rate meaning the paint film is nice and fat. And that can be a good thing for exterior substrates (surfaces).

The haint blue story has been so incredibly interesting. I've heard from people all over the world -- really it's amazing. The store has been very helpful because I was getting a ton of phone calls and emails. A few aren't a problem but it kind of started cramping my time management. And that's why I created the store -- I just don't have time to talk to everyone who wants details about Haint Blue. I'd be nice if I had that kind of time because it's very fun hearing all the stories but reality creeps in.

Moving to the southwest, I've learned about Taos and Mayan blue as well. I don't feel confident writing about them yet and I really don't feel confident enough to create my own interpretations of the colors. Maybe this summer. I dunno, not sure.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey fc , I sent you an email through GW> Thank you ! I look forward to hearing what you think when you get the sample.c

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Fc I enjoyed reading your article and trail...thanks so much for sharing! I had no idea what haint blue was but it was also used on the ceiling and trim of our 1889 home in the pacific northwest. I have the original porch railing in the water tower and the colors look to be very similar to the savanah haint blue tones. We also found it on the ceiling if the porch when we had some repair done.

My OO was English, and I've never heard the term haint used associated with paint here in the pacific northwest but I have to wonder if my traveling OO had heard of it now lol.

If any samples would help you out fx let me know. I can easily get some paint off as the piece is deteriorated (we are going to restore and replace it back where it belongs though).

I can't wait to see your porch finished trail. What a great surprise! My beautiful old ceiling was mucked up by the PO who added huge pot lights to it. Nothing days Victorian like a couple of big outdoor flood style pot lights lol.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Beautiful Trailrunner. I meant to comment on your home in your spring thread. Love the older homes. My sister and her husband own a home which is on the historical register. Not sure how old it is.

Love your haint blue - that is going to be sooo pretty!!

tina

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

igloo missed you and tina and your posts. They have finished putting up the beadboard and need to add the crown . I will take more pics. I would love to see the color of your " haint blue". I am glad that mine was so easily , I didn't have to do it LOL, repaired.

thank you tina we are a registered neighborhood but the individual homes are not registered. I look forward to posting pics. c

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Below is a link for a plain white fan (they have several sizes, models) that have proven to be very useful to me in the past. I installed 2 about 15 years ago & another 2 in 2003 & they've been moving air almost constantly without giving me any trouble. My only complaint would be if you use them at the highest setting, they tend to be a bit noisey.

They used to have a store in Richmond but they closed & I bought the second pair in Alabama & had them hitch a ride with a friend when she came to VA. One of their stores is in Hoover AL but I don't know if that's close to you. I've never used them on a porch but I highly recommend them inside.

Looking forward to your finished porch pics & thanks for the link to the history of Haint Paint. That term is a new one on me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dan's Fan City

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey antique: I found a Mariner Hunter fan at HD for 99.00 so we got it yesterday. It is for outdoor and is a 52. They are whisper quiet so I think it will be fine. It looks just like the one you posted but has PVC blades for outdoor/waterproof. I am going to take pics of the crown molding they completed today and the sandblasting of the brick is finished too. So we are making progress. Thanks for thinking of me and glad you enjoyed the Haint Blue. c

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

The Hunter is probably a much better price, too. I always buy plain fans without lights but the Gulf Coasts models tend to be larger than most - & the size matches the scale of my rooms better.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Trail, this is exciting! Your haint blue looks like it has a bit of green in it (on my monitor)--sort of toward the turquoise?
    I'm in Central Texas and have had five years of good luck with SW Duration exterior paint. Our only exterior paint is on cedar shingles and on trim as most of the home is rock, but what there is has weathered the sun and temperature extremes well.
    Of course, Fine Paints of Europe stakes the claim to the most durable exterior paint, but I don't personally know anyone with experience in our Southern clime.
    I can't wait to see your completed porch ceiling project!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Antique we had a very very limited selection of white outdoor fans in this area so this was pretty much it. I have used Hunter brand before and know they are really quiet so I think it will be OK.

Kitchen> yes it looks a little turquoise. There was green painted over the blue in the past so that plays into the color when sanded. I need to make sure I have a clear part only blue when I go to SW> Thanks for seconding the choice of paint. I am looking forward to it being done too :) c