SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
courmayeur_gw

Stagnant clay soil, poor drainage question

courmayeur
19 years ago

My parents had a house built in Western Edmond and moved in in late 2003. The area has very hard clay soil. The contractors made a little North-facing garden area at the back of the house. She planted some herbs in there (thyme, rosemary, italian parsley and sage) last spring and a few ornamental native grasses. The herbs and grasses made it through the winter just fine and they are doing great now.

She decided that she wanted to plant some more herbs and tomatoes and peppers in there this year and I went to her house to help her out. We bought the plants and started digging around in her garden area. What we found was extremely compacted, wet clay and a horrible smell. I recognized the smell as stagnant, rotten soil. We dug through the whole bed and only found one earthworm.

She realizes that this bed has drainage problems and she even had a contractor come out last year and install a French drainage system and put out new topsoil. Obviously it didn't work. I asked her about the topsoil they put down and she said that the clay must have worked it's way back up to the top layer.

I am wondering if there is any hope for this bed whatsoever without having to do a raised bed. I am thinking the clay is so hard packed and dense that even if it was dug out a few feet and fresh compost was added the clay would still prevent it from fully draining. She bought one of those garden claw thingies and plans on going over the whole bed with it. I was wondering if mabye doing the garden claw thingy plus adding organics such as compost, coffee grounds and peat moss may eventually make it workable. I also thought about the lasagna method. Is there any hope for this without having to build a raised bed?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets