SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arktrees

TOO early.

arktrees
15 years ago

I have to say I'm rather concerned that many plants are breaking to spring TOO early. Last week I went to Little Rock, and noticed that elms were in flower, which didn't concern me that much, even if they are early, but there was also red maple beginning to flower as well in mid-Feb which is early, even saw some daffodils in flower.

Well now around Fayetteville today, I see the normal Crocus, and a few other things. But I see some red maples in flower (normal is March sometime), we have hyacinths that have been trying to come up for weeks, clover beginning to come up, daffodils are coming up, we have a jackmanii beginning to grow (1+ inch long shoots), knock-out roses are beginning to grow, honey suckle beginning to grow, hydrangea budding just above the ground, quince that flower buds are showing color and are a couple days from flowering, and the frogs have been going for a while now. Those are just the things I have found without looking very hard. One of our sugar maples even has elongated terminal buds. ALL with a week of February to go. We got to 18F just two mornings ago. I'm very concerned that everything is going to get hit HARD AGAIN. We got the April freeze a couple years ago (along with light snow), when it went all the way down to 12 degrees at my home (live in a valley), and then last year got to 21F with ice fog again in April.

I'm sure the number of warm days have not helped. It's been much wider than normal temp swings back and forth all winter. Probable why some things are breaking dormancy early, but I had much rather they be late and less likely to freeze.

Not really a major point to this post other than to kinda throw a tantrum about it I guess. :-)

Hope it works out for all of you.

Arktrees

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living