SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggingthedirt

Report from Polly Hill

diggingthedirt
17 years ago

Just back from 2 truly wonderful days on Martha's Vineyard with fellow GW-NE Forum members cloud9, arbo_retum and idabean, organized and hosted by runktrun.

I probably can't adequately describe what a gracious hostess and fabulous gardener Katy is, but I'll tell you that the highlight of the weekend was spending time in Katy's beautiful garden and talking with her about her plants and her design. She has a great eye for plant combinations, and for setting a scene or a mood. Her unbelievable generosity in showing us her island was really remarkable too.

The Polly Hill Arboretum is a destination you'll want to put on your list of must-see places. If you like Stewartia, Viburnum, Magnolia, conifers, or shrubs and trees in general, this is a great place to visit. There is public transportation from the ferry right to the aboretum, by the way.

We attended a workshop on mushrooms led by the entertaining and knowledgeable mycologist-explorer Lawrence Millman, talked about gardening, took a tour of the arboretum, talked about trees and shrubs, visited two outstanding (if ridiculously expensive) nurseries, talked about plants, saw an award-winning garden designed by Cape landscape architect Chris Horiuchi, talked about garden design, visited Mytoi Garden on Chappaquiddick, talked about gardening, drank a little wine, talked about gardens, ate several fabulous meals, watched sunset at Menemsha, and had a chance to talk with fellow gardeners about our favorite subject.

I'm sure I've left something out, it was an action packed weekend of full-strength horticulture with 5 really wonderful gardeners; I learned *a lot* from each of them and had a lot of laughs in the process. Wow! What a weekend - wish you could have all been there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polly Hill

Comments (7)