SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

In Memoriam September 11, 2001

With the tenth anniversary of the fall of the World Trade Center towers approaching, I wanted to mark the date in some way and I thought that the New England forum members might also want to participate.

I was living in the East Village in Manhattan at the time, and I was on the subway going to work in Queens when the first tower was hit. The rest of that day, and many to follow, alternated between trying to deal with the enormity of the event, but also just dealing with the practical aspects of limited transportation and communication.

These photos were taken a few months later, but I think they express some of what we New Yorkers were feeling at the time. I found it very difficult to photograph people then; it felt like a desecration.

A crowd is staring into the empty hole where the towers once stood. An overwhelming sense of loss hung over the group and seemed almost to fill the space.

New Yorkers are not used to being treated with affection by the nation at large, and the outpouring of support by the nation and the world was unexpected and very very welcome.

A lot of memories are coming back now that I thought I had put aside. I find it helps to write this, and perhaps others will feel the same about their own experiences.

Claire

Comments (13)