SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Conquering Conifers

runktrun
15 years ago

At this time of year when much of my overgrown deciduous foliage is beginning to recede I am reminded again about my infatuation with conifers. I am not talking about the hard working, Arborvitae, Leyland Cypress, or Pines that year round stand tall offering me the privacy that no six foot high fence could, or the Alberta Spruce soldiers standing guard at either side of my front door, but the conifers I am in love with are those described as dwarf , broom, slow growing, from a far away land, and of course the adjective that is the icing on the cake* rare*. I was at my Mahoneys (not exactly the same as the others but similar) yesterday and when I came across a new delivery of exciting dwarf conifers and my heart actually began to race, there they sat in a little plastic pots looking cuter than an eight week old puppy . The trouble is I have had this love affair with dwarf conifers for a number of years now and some of those cute conifer puppies are beginning to grow into rather large beasts and I am stumped as to how to successfully incorporate theses beasts into my landscape.

In terms of garden style I can certainly appreciate a rock garden filled with specimen conifers (though I often wonder why that is such a male dominated style of gardeningperhaps it is the lack of flowers?) but I just simply do not have the patience necessary for the first few years of a mulch bed spotted with a few needles here and there. A mixed border is much more suited to my style as well as surrounding landscape, but adding conifers into a mixed border has been more challenging than I ever thought it would be. Most examples of gardening with conifers in mixed beds are limited to surrounding the conifer with tidy low growing evergreen plants such as rhododendrons or heath and heathers, and the deciduous plants seem limited to Japanese Maples and Hosta. Admittedly the exuberant foliage in my beds tend to border somewhere between rangy and out of control and my dwarf conifers just look out of place, but I am thinking there must be some happy medium, someway I can creatively offer these dwarf conifers enough elbow room from the deciduous woodies and perennials whoÂs seasonal shade causes most conifers to drop their needles and distort their natural shape, without leaving a big empty space around the conifer that causes the flow of the garden to come to a screeching halt. How do you incorporate conifers in your landscape? I would greatly appreciate some suggestions of companion plants that have worked for you and of course would love to see some photos. kt

Comments (21)