SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thapranksta

Privacy Screen - What tree size to buy?

Tha Pranksta
11 years ago

I am planning a roughly 100 foot mixed border running along a 6 foot tall wooden fence that will be used for privacy screening as well as to give the backyard some life. I've got a lot of tough choices to make as far as what trees obviously since it's not going to be a traditional hedge (even though that's not completely ruled out).

So I was wondering if someone can help me answer some of my questions. One of the trees I'm interested in is the thuja plicata zebrina. I have the option to get this tree in a small size and save a ton of money or a larger size and spend much more. Is it better ultimately to buy the tree in the larger size to get the privacy screen established in a shorter time or will the smaller trees catch up relatively quickly since they can get adapted to my soil more easily?

Also if I buy the trees in a smaller size, do I need to be concerned with the rabbit population eating my trees? I also have deer nearby but I've never seen any enter my yard to bother my fruit trees and suspect they will continue to munch on the surrounding forest.

Also, some trees I have considered besides the zebrina is the thuja green giants and willow hybrid. I see that Starks has a variety of willow hybrid but I have not seen any real mention of it outside of their website.

Thanks.

Comments (14)