SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berndnyz5

Fall Cleanup around Hostas

in ny zone5
12 years ago

In my zone 5a area 95% of all tree leaves are down, some of the hosta leaves can be pulled off easily. I have 165 different hostas, about 320 total. I live on a half acre lot, have 4 maples, neighbors have more. My backyard is fenced in keeping outside leaves at neighbors'. I am getting my yard ready for winter. My 3 compost bins are full. We have weekly pickup of leaves and yard debris in paper bags for recycling.

While vacuuming fallen tree leaves around hostas last weekend I remember the previous years when I simply ran the lawnmower over the hosta and perennial beds. That created a nice mulch right there. I can no longer do it because I have labeled most hostas. That now resulted in this extra work in fall. I also remember that when mowing the leaves my back felt better.

A benefit of vacuuming is that I can see any rodent holes, good that I did not see any. The other benefit is that my vacuum (/blower) chops the leaves up, I can pour the contents of the bag right back on the plants. (the lawnmower did that too in much less time)

So I am thinking to remove the markers next year, go back to use the lawnmower, and change my MS Excel map to a finer grid to show all plants more accurately. I would keep the markers in case I ever have a tour. I must say, I also stepped on some markers, were difficult to see under the leaves.

How do you do it? Probably on larger lots you do not care about the leaves way back in the woods.

Bernd

Comments (18)