SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aeiger

Fall Swap, CT Tri-State Area?

aeiger
15 years ago

Hello All,

It is time to be thinking of the Fall'08 swap. Our ranks have grown to NY and NJ as well as CT. Everyone is welcome. Why don't we all chime in with a Saturday or Sunday in Sept./Oct. that is good for us? I really liked that park we were at last Spring. I know I am already dividing my perennials so this is a good time to plan. OK, the ball is in your court. /ABI

Comments (114)

• Richard Dollard
    15 years ago

George,
    Got you down for the jades.

• ego45
    15 years ago

Carl,
    I'd like to claim a Boltonia and some of Golden Tiara.

Marty,
    OK, jot you down for Robustissima as well as for Genpei/Shirobana and Worcester Gold.

• Related Discussions

wanted: ct. fall plant swap '05

Q

Comments (87)
    Jo - I will bring Peony, Kniphofia, Allium tuberosum, and calamintha for you Hedy - wll bring Calamintha for you. I would be interested in the geranium and foxglove if no one has claimed these. Noticklish - Any Ajuga will be great! Sue - if you have time, I would like to try some Campanula. Does this tend to flop over or do you pinch it back? Are we bringing food/drinks? I would feel terrible if Ron showed up with burgers, etc. and all I'd show up with was inedible vegetation.... Liliane
    ...See More

Anyone Know of Any 2008 Plant Swaps or Events For Tri-State Area?

Q

Comments (2)
    the centeral ohio swap in Hilliard is great see the post w/link to the get-togethers forum. I drive almost 200 miles 1 way to go, and its a great group of people, plants and food. diggerb
    ...See More

Is it too early to ask about CT fall swap?

Q

Comments (64)
    Yes, I was just looking for that thread so I don't have to wade through this one for gory details :-) I just potted up some liriope, pink mums, and a couple of iris tectorum alba. The crocosmia will travel in paper bags. Since the sell them as dry corms, it should be fine. The Korean mum thingy from NYBG is just too small for fall division. I'll do something about it in the spring. Since I haven't made a swap in about two years (ooooh, has it really been that long?(: ), what is the mapquest address for the park? If it goes in a different information thread, that is fine. I'm OK as far as I-84 east into Connecticut, but after that, it's fairly vague.
    ...See More

Time to Plan the CT Fall Swap

Q

Comments (150)
    Paige, yes you could repot coleus and take it home, but very soon it will be huge and leggy. Also, could you imagine to bring home such monster (easy 4x4')? 3 years ago Abi gave me a 1G pot of it. What you see is the 8th or 9th generation out of it. I already propagated enough cuttings of my favorites, will bring them home and when in December-January they'll be woody again I'll take a new cuttings which will be the actual plants that will go into ground in a spring. Depending on variety's vigor and size, sometimes only third generation will be manageable to keep it till spring. If anyone interested I could bring a lot of fresh cuttings (not rooted) of this one and from 'South of the Border'. Both have good sun tolerance.
    ...See More
  • ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Carl -- Pumpkin(s) coming!

Is the nandina domestica similar to the nandina we had when we lived in Houston (and my mom has in the DC area)? Beautiful red color in fall? If so (and if it's hardy in northwest CT), I'd love to have that if no one else speaks for it! I'd also happily take a smidge of the Angelina for my rock garden.

[Meant to note that my Pandanus babies are going to be houseplants when they grow up. Mama pandanus has neat air roots and a span of about 3.5 feet.]

• aeiger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rich, you have some gloriosas. George, a rabdosia would be perfect for the plotkin and I always like thugs!

Carl, the hostas sound good for under some of my many trees.

Marty, you might have got the paint pallete from me. I have huge patches of it. Grows in the shade. I would like some Joe Pye and hyssop. /Abi

• suebot
    15 years ago

Carl-

I'd love the Cotinus if not spoken for. Also trying to get some Phlox growing so would love a little bit of Mt Fugi if any is left.

Thanks,
    suebot

• bebebzzz
    15 years ago

Carl,
    If no one has claimed your Viburnum rhytidophyllum, I would love one.
    Thank you,
    Bebe

• suebot
    15 years ago

ctlady-

Would love some Joe Pye Weed and Ribbon Grass. Some parts of my yard need to be invade. Also would love to give the Egyptian Walking Onions a go! I heard they are very, very cool.

Can't wait to meet you,
    suebot in CT (God's Country)

• Richard Dollard
    15 years ago

Marty,
    I don't know about your worms but the worms at my house are more like snakes! I opened the garage door this morning and I almost jumped when I saw this worm. It was huge and did not wiggle like a normal worm, it went wild went I disturbed it! I took a stick and brought it back over to the dirt. Last night I pulled up a tree root and you should have seen all of them. I was amazed how many just came up. I guess that's a good thing. Richie

• ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

Richie -- my worms look like snakes, too! I actually posted a question about them because they are EVERYWHERE this year! (I wondered if you could have "too many" ... didn't sound as if you could, although it's good (apparently) not to let them take over the woodlands. But I pull one weed and gazillions of these THINGS ooze up through the compost-laden beds and slither across my feet (used to pluck the occasional weed in sandals or bare feet -- no more!!) I wonder what makes them so HUGE (mine are between 6 and 8 inches long) and so numerous this year (global warming? so they're growing bigger just like the poison ivy?)

I'll have to post a picture! :(

PS: We have snakes too -- two Northern milk snakes have actually made their way into my kitchen this summer, and a HUGE ribbon snake is living in my barn, happy as a clam.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Hi folks!

Here are a few of the things I've got:

Phlox 'David'
    Salvia koyamae
    Eupatorium 'Gateway'
    One Forsythia 'Kumson' that has been cut back to the ground
    Peony 'Bowl of Beauty'
    Geranium 'Biokovo'
    Tricyrtis latifolia
    Tanacetum 'Isla Gold'
    One large yellow native Baptisia (if I can sucessfully get it out of the ground)
    Agastache 'Golden Jubilee'

All of these plants are headed for the compost heap if no one wants them so let me know. I also have some assorted named daylilies and will bring those as well.

To cover the food contribution I'll be baking whoopie pies.

Sue

• ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

Sue -- I would love the native Baptisia (if you can wrench it out of the ground). Having just spent two hours "freeing" a large mass of Joe Pye-Weed (only planted two years ago, but an AMAZINGLY strong root mass!), I will completely understand if you can't (or if you end up with lots of little pieces...! :)

George -- you are getting a full-size spirea x billardii -- I dug it to move it today and it came up beautifully and I ended up with one good sized clump with plenty of roots (which I'll keep) plus the larger shrub. I have several rooted cuttings as well, if anyone wants one.

To those who have asked me for things, please specify how many worms you would like included with your plant (I'm sorry, the worms are not optional). Think of it as an early bird special (as in, "the early bird gets the ... well, you know) :)

From the garden this very afternoon (the cast-concrete leaf you can see is about a foot in diameter, just to give you an idea of scale) :

{{gwi:1087497}}

• ego45
    15 years ago

Sue, announcement of your future presence at the swap is sweeter than any whoopie pie :-)

Marty, thank you.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Sue, I would love the Bowl of Beauty peony if it is still available.

Darn, and I told myself I wasn't going to come home with anything. So much for resolve.

:)
    Dee

• ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

Dee -- do you still have the daylily Hyperion available?

And Carl: almost forgot...if you have extra Golden Tiara (after George gets his), I would love to have a bit.

• aeiger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue, good to hear from you again! I would love some trisyrtis, geranium and agastache.Is the salvia really yellow? that sounds good to. Your plants are too beautiful for the compost heap. There will probably be some newbies with little or no plants to bring and you can send them home with treasure! See you soon. /Abi

• hunt4carl
    15 years ago

Sue -

If you have more than one of the Salvia koyame, that's one
    I've always wanted to try. . .but, of course, I ALSO want
    to know why you're sending it to the compost pile - having
    seen your garden, I know only the very best plants get to stay!

Carl

• bebebzzz
    15 years ago

Sue, please save some Phlox 'David' for me.
    Marty, I would like Japanese Iris and Sedum 'Matrona' if you have any left.
    Carl, I'd like some Sedum 'Angelina' please.

Thank you!
    Bebe

• casey1gw
    15 years ago

Sue, if you have any more of the salvia, I'd love some too. Also, George if yo have more of the rabdosia I'd love a little too.

So far, I have agastache 'blue fortune' and 'golden jubilee', monarda 'jacob cline'
    chocolate eupatorium
    jasminium nudiflorum -1- (early blooming)
    geranium yoshinoi 'confetti'

Hedy

• ego45
    15 years ago

Hedy,
    Last of the 3 rabdosias I'll bring is going to you :-)
    I think I could provide happy home for jasminium nudiflorum.
    Question about G.yoshinoi. Does it seeds prolificaly in your garden as it does in mine? I got it from you couple of swaps ago and think I'll soon have enough of it to offer it too.
    BTW, it's semi-evergreen for me.

• Richard Dollard
    15 years ago

Hedy,
    Can you save me one of your geranium yoshinoi 'confetti' Thanks, Richie

• hunt4carl
    15 years ago

Abi: If you have any Ajuga left, either one, I'd be happy
    to claim it. . .

Carl

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Why thank you George.

Salvia koyame has proved to be a very vigorous plant my garden. It it gets even moisture, it takes over. It even got into the lawn.

OK, Baptisia for Marty
    Peony for Dee
    Phlox for Bebe
    plenty of Salvia

I also have Sedum 'Autumn Joy', Nepeta 'Walker's Not so Low', reblooming Iris 'Immortality', and a rather large Persicaria polymorpha (if I can get it out of the ground). God knows what else.

Sue

• ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

Sue -- if you have enough of the Nepeta, I'd love a bit of that in addition to the baptisia. I'm still enjoying your Morning Light from the very first swap ... I'm being selfish and keeping the divisions of it myself this year, for a new bed of grasses and sedum, but NEXT swap I can bring some for others if they want it. It is a glorious ornamental grass!

• silvergirl426_gw
    15 years ago

Carl
    I'd like the weigela if no one has spoken for it. also aster WOODS PINK -- now don't be substituting any orange ones! -- and sedum angelique.

Sue, I'll try one of those creamy salvia. Who was it who offered daylilies? Pinks anyone?
    lucia

• ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

Lucia, I could bring a small division of the pink (peach-to-pink so it may not be true-pink enough for your needs) daylily that's pictured below (I won't try to divide it unless you're sure you want it). I got it from a previous plant swap but no idea from whom, or if it was a "freebie" on the giveaway table... I don't know the variety, either, unfortunately. But I would be happy to extricate a small division if you want -- just let me know).

{{gwi:1084853}}

• silvergirl426_gw
    15 years ago

Martie, I would love that one. Couldn't be more perfect. I hope you can extricate it.
    lucia

• greenbug
    15 years ago

Hi all,

This year was the first time the gardeing bug bit me. I had never owned a yard before and after moving into a single family with a one acre untended yard, I went full swing.
    Nothing could keep me out of the yard. I sustained poison ivy rash, but I continued with my gardening.

I had bought some heirloom seeds online and some hybrid ones from the stores. Not knowing much about all the varieties of flowers, I bought quite a few annual seeds -impatiens, petunias, dahlias.marigolds.

After working hard for six months and spending quite a bit too, I reaped some rewards but the deer are not letting me enjoy the fruits of my labor. And now that Fall is approaching, I have this feeling that I did not plant wisely.

I would love to be at the swap, but all the botanical or even common names on this thread don't make much sense to me so I don't know what to request early on.

I would love to have some perennials and some deer resistant flowering plants. I have heard that day lilies are deer resistant.

I also fell in love with peonies, azaleas and rhodendrons, but did not have any success in making cuttings to root. So that was a bit of failure.

I have plenty of hostas that I had divided and transplanted all over the yard, but the deer just love it and regularly eat it for lunch and dinner.

The one thing I got extremely lucky with was cucumbers. They are heirloom too and I could definitely collect and bring seeds from those to the swap, if anyone is interested.

I will be looking for tips and advice when I visit the swap as well.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

OMG, that daylily is gorgeous! I'm already putting dibs on next year's divisions, Marty and Lucia! So you are forewarned, lol!

Welcome, greenbug! You don't necessarily *have to* request anything now. There is always a table (or two... or three) full of stuff that is not marked for any particular individual. You can browse and learn and choose from those plants.

Looking forward to meeting you at the swap!
    Dee

• ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Greenbug! I second the welcome ... and just want to say, don't let the botanical names intimidate you (they did me at first -- I was scared to death to come to the first swap for fear I was way out of my league). I've learned that as soon as someone posts something I don't know, I just google it. I've learned a TON that way. (But I've also often thought it might save me some time if those who know the common as well as botanical name of what they have would put it in parens ... I've googled quite a few impressive sounding things only to see what they were and say "oh, goodness, I've got that!" Having said that, it's been wonderful discipline to learn to refer to the plants by their proper names and this is a fun way to learn -- it will make you a much better gardener in the long run even if you feel a bit lost in the short run. It's a REALLY friendly group - give it a try!

As for daylilies ... I've been lucky with mine but I'd read that deer LOVE them. I think the only really resistant deer plants are things that are fuzzy or aromatic (most herbs or plants in the herb family they will leave alone), boxwood, a few other things. I was told they would adore my hostas but they've never touched them so I think it must depend on the variety of hosta (and perhaps deer...)

Anyway, come and learn and enjoy the people (and the food, of course!)

(And I personally would happily take some heirloom cucumber seeds!)

/ Marty

• aeiger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Greenbug, I know what you mean about the botanicals. Oh how I have wished I paid better attention in High School Latin! I do what Marty does, Google it! Even if you don't request in advance, there is little chance you will go home empty handed. Come, learn and have fun!/Abi

• ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

Just to summarize as of now (I am doing more digging on Saturday) -- tell me if I've missed anyone!

For George: large spirea x billardii
    For Richie: purple monarda (lots) and Japanese iris
    For Suebot: Joe Pye, ribbon grass and walking onions
    For Abi: Joe Pye, anise hyssop
    For Lucia: unknown pink daylily (managed to eke one out for Dee, too!)
    For Bebe: Japanese iris, Sedum Matrona

From George: Caryopteris Worcester Gold, Genpei/Shirobana Spirea, Anemone tomentosa
    From Carl (hopefully?): Golden tiara hosta, nandina
    From Dee: Daylily Hyperion

Still have: several spirea x billardii rooted cuttings, tansy (forgot to list that before), Japanese iris, anise hyssop, monarda (purple)

No takers for my Pandanus babies??? I canÂt imagine why no one wants a tropical houseplant with razor sharp leaves. The wee ones are so CUTE (think TEENY LITTLE razor blades!) They are also (currently) two-tone: green and white, but not variegated: green outer leaves, white inner ones. Several babies up for adoption...:)

• greenbug
    15 years ago

Thanks, Dee, Marty and Abi for the welcome, :-) and I look forward to meeting you and the rest of the group!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Ooh, thank you Marty, for the daylily! Now I don't have to wait for next year. I have a Hyperion with your name on it (from Sue's garden originally, actually!) so we can swap daylilies next week. Thank you!

Okay, now I'm leaving with two plants. That's two more than planned....

Dee

• ego45
    15 years ago

Dee, wanna bet that more than two plants will jump in your car? :-))

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

That's a bet I would definitely lose, George! LOL!

Dee

• silvergirl426_gw
    15 years ago

George, I will take your anemone robustissima. I have a place where I want something that fills in.
    Sue -- I would love some geranium riokovo. The pale pink is beautiful!
    lucia

• hunt4carl
    15 years ago

Marty -

If there are any left, I'd love to "walk away" with some of
    you Egyptian onions. . .

P.S. Very early on, I tried using botanical names (with
    common names in parantheses) and got a very haughty response from someone who didn't feel they needed to be talked down to! So, I've been leery of doing that ever
    since - the subject would be an excellent topic for a post,
    so maybe I should get on it. . .

Carl

• ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

Carl ... I assume you're kidding when you ask if there are any Egyptian walking onions "left"...! ;) (I got these from a past swap -- think I got three. Harvested nearly 40 beautiful onions this summer, plus I've used the tops as scallions, etc. Planted SOME of the "bulblets" from the ones I pulled and now have at least another 50 started. You will never want for an onion again once you start these guys... but give them room! They "walked" right out of my raised veggie bed this summer...) So, walking onions for Carl and Suebot.

Sue -- forgot to list you in the "From" category of my last post (for the baptisia and, if possible, some of the Nepeta -- and thank you!)

• ego45
    15 years ago

If anyone is interested in Fillipendula rubra 'Venusta' let me know by Friday noon.
    See a related thread on Perennial forum below.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use Fillipendula?

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

LOL, George - I was waiting for that filipendula to show up here on this thread!

Dee

• aeiger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

George, I would like to try some of that! /Abi

• casey1gw
    15 years ago

George, I'd love a filipendula. I have your plants dug but the dicentra eximia seems to have gone underground for the season. It's too dry for it now in my yard. I'll bring you some in the spring unless someone else has some now.

Yes the geranium does seed itself. The flowers are too small to deadhead. I use it as a pretty groundcover. When it pops up in the spring I keep the most variegated ones and pull the rest. I put them in shade and poorer conditions to they have to struggle.

Would anyone want an heirloom iris? It's light and dark purple and smells like grape kool-aid.

Richie I have a geranium for you.

Hedy

• ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

George, I can bring the dicentra eximia for you. Mine is (or was up to a few days ago) actually still blooming for some reason...

Hedy, I'll take the heirloom iris if no one else speaks for it!

I have two chunks of Sedum Matrona because I thought two people (Bebe and ??) had requested it but now I don't know who the other request was from or if I dreamed it (stranger things have happened...). Let me know if you're the mystery Matrona fan so I can label it.

• ego45
    15 years ago

Hedy,
    I'll see how many chanks of filipendula I'll be able to found since I cut it down a month ago. Dee and Abi already ask for it and if there will be the third one it will be yours.
    Re: D.eximia.
    Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter/ this year/next year -doesn't matter - I need a lot of it for the neverending project and it doesn't want to seed for me :-(

Martie,
    You've heard me. Will accept D.eximia will gratitude.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

George - give the filipendula to Hedy! I don't need it right now. I was only laughing because I saw your other thread, and so was expecting to see you offer the filipendula here, lol. I'm sure Hedy can use it much more effectively than I could. It would most likely sit in a pot for a few years in my driveway, much like a filipendula that Sue gave me several years ago, which I *almost* planted on three separate occasions this summer alone, lol! It'll get in the ground sooner or later!

Dee

• lidigentri
    15 years ago

Sue,

If it is not too late, could you wrestle a small piece of the Persicaria polymorpha out of the ground. Always admired it in other people's gardens and would like to give it a try.

Thanks!

Liliane

• joyinshelton
    15 years ago

Hi All!
    I've been lurking here for a while, watching for the swap date. I'm so sorry I won't be able to make the swap. It sounds like such fun. And I just cleaned out my garden and have hundreds of Iris I could have shared too! Darn visit with the in-laws!!
    There's a lot of big words thrown around here for plant names, seems I have so much to learn!
    The real reason I'm posting is that I loved seeing the posting about the supersize worms! I thought I was the only one with monster worms! They're so big this year they freak me out! Glad I'm not alone!
    I hope I'll be able to make the spring swap! Till then, I'll be lurking! Thanks!! ~Joy

• ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Joy!

Wish you could have made it ... iris always go fast! And don't worry about the 'big words' ... that's what Google is for! ;)

As the 'worm lady' I just wanted to say that I added an update to my 'Garden Worm Bonanza' thread, after talking with the Ag Station about my worm invasion yesterday. You might want to check it out. All good news it seems ... be grateful you have worms, however colossal they may be! They couldn't really explain the size, except to offer the theory that they have been gorging on REALLY good compost (I still think it's global warming!!)

Anyway, welcome and hope you can make it in the spring!

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm Thread

• aeiger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello All, looking forward to Sunday. I have a request. Would anyone have a piece of Chinese Lantern plant (Physalis) or lunaria seeds (Money or silverdalar plant)? Thanks /Abi

• ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

Ready to go... pots lined up by the garage, everyone watered and settled in for the night. Sounds as if tomorrow will be perfect weather!

Question: last time someone (Deb? can't recall) brought plates, napkins, etc. Should we bring our own, or is someone planning to bring that kind of stuff? (I can, if no one else is...) We bring our own drinks, right?

I'm bringing an Italian panzanella (bread) salad since it sounded as if there would be plenty of desserts already! I'll also bring a freshly harvested pumpkin in case Carl gets an itch to cut something up... ;)

Marty