SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
casey1z7act

Time to Plan the CT Fall Swap

casey1gw
17 years ago

We have to choose a date that works for us and for Ron at Young's Nursery. Please add your input.

Comments (150)

• casey1gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I didn't realize it was hard to get to bloom. I bought it locally in the fall for half price and it's consistently bloomed for the last 2 seasons. The blooms are not that large - I'll bring one to the swap.

I also have linaria "cannon wendt", carex 'muskimensis' a short grass that grows in very dry shade and small red Japanese maples. I've grown a bunch of these so I can bring more if anyone is interested.

Hedy

• paigect
    17 years ago

George did you claim the Blue Muffin earlier and I missed it? If so I apologize! Either way, you two can decide who gets it. I'm just excited someone wants it!

Marty, the pollinator issue is a bit tricky. Yes, you will get some berries wihtout one, but this year there were under ten and it flowered right there at Broken Arrow, where it should have had plenty of pollinators.

Sienna, if you take it, I'm afraid your neighbor's Blue Muffins might not help you. This one is from Broken Arrow as well and my understanding is that they need to be from different stock to cross pollinate. As for the other viburnums, they will only work if they are related and are flowering at the same time. But if there are enough of them, there is a pretty good chance of that!

I would take the smaller artemisia that you have if no one else wants it. Silver King looks a bit too vigorous for my beds, although it's lovely to look at.

• Related Discussions

AL Fall Swap - Date-Time-Place-Lunch

Q

Comments (3)
    as usual, i can't make it but i plan to be able to come in the spring. i swore i would not come util i have EVERYTHING in the ground that needs to go in the ground. I literaly have about 40 pots to get in the ground - maybe more. none of the stuff from last swap i went to is in ground, although it is all still alive - babied. Some of it repotted for bigger growth :) :) ya'll have fun though and i will see ya'll next year.
    ...See More

Time to schedule CT fall plant swap

Q

Comments (13)
    I'm looking forward to attending again--this spring was my first time and it was terrific meeting fellow gardeners and sharing the wealth! As always, I seem to have a number of plants that other folk may find too invasive, but I like the advantage of having my own "nursery" and keep dividing and spreading them around. I should have Lemon Balm, Gooseneck Loostrife, Monarda (pinks, purples, lavenders), and also some petasites. October sounds good to me too as I still don't feel like I've had a chance to enjoy the garden yet this summer! Amy
    ...See More

CT Fall Swap? That time of the year...

Q

Comments (1)
    bumping down since the swap season is rather past. Maybe next spring there will be a CT swap.
    ...See More

Time to Plan the CT Fall Swap ( Part 2,continued)

Q

Comments (57)
    Another GREAT (if slightly OT but who cares) idea! Here's the blueberry buckle (courtesy of Lyman Orchards): Cake: 3/4 cup sugar 1/2 cup softened butter 1 egg 1/2 cup milk (whole or skim, doesn't matter) 2 cups flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries Blend sugar and butter together until fluffy. Add egg and mix well. Blend in milk and remaining dry ingredients. Add blueberries. Spread batter (which will be VERY thick and stiff -- don't worry, just push it into the pan with brute force!) into a greased 9x9 inch pan. Sprinkle topping (recipe below) over batter and bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Topping: 1/2 cup sugar 1/3 cup flour 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 cup soft butter Mix ingredients (food processor is fine - just pulse) until crumbly. Can't wait to try all these - thanks! (More on-topic: who brought the big clump of elephant ears? When I went to repot them today, I found a plastic bag of bulbs tucked at the base...any idea who was to have those and/or what they are? If they were brought for someone, I'll happily mail them on if you send me the address... I feel guilty enough already with a garage full of plants!) / Marty
    ...See More
  • ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Amy - the lamium is yours. Like Sienna, I've already laid claim to more than my share of stuff, but if no one else speaks for your bearded iris (or if there's one to spare), I'd love that (color doesn't matter -- I just miss my bearded iris, virtually all of which I left behind when we moved).

Does anyone have any Monarda didyma 'Oswego Tea'? (or any other scarlet monarda?) or Asclepias tuberosa 'Gay Butterflies' or Gaura lindhiemeri 'Whirling Butterflies'? (You can tell these are for a butterfly garden ;)

/ Marty

• casey1gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marty, I have 2 kinds of red monarda neither of which hashad mildew for the last 2 years. One is 'Jacob Cline', the other is a bit taller and more vigorous. Do you have a preference?

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Casey -- if you don't care which one you divide, I'd love the Jacob Cline (but honestly -- just whichever you'd rather bring!). I have I have a pink one that got mildew horrifically for the first time this year, so I was out spraying every week anyway! :(

Thanks!! / Marty

• cat2
    17 years ago

Hello, everyone! Good to hear the fall swap is on. I can hardly wait to see everyone again!
    My list to bring is:

sedum sexangular (low mat-yellow flowers)
    hens-n-chicks (just a few- so many went to the spring swap)
    artemisia silver king
    spreading flox- pink
    dianthus (various shades of pink)
    monarda (red)-definite hummingbird & butterfly attractor
    orange tiger lily bulbus (lots of these)
    daylilies: regular orange, tall yellow, red, deep orange. (I believe the red is the little grapette from Sue- beautiful flowers & the seed pods are cool, too- I'll bring some of those)
    almost forgot- I also have a couple asiatic lilies in pink/white (stargazer or something like that)

I also have a single lavender plant, if anyone wants it. And one or two centaurea montana (Mountain Bluet.)

I will bring things as requested, but only a couple extra if I have it.

If they are still available, George, I would like to put in a request for the caryopteris grand bleu and a francee hosta. By the way, you may have gotten me into trouble since I looked up that Spacecoast daylily- what a selection- that Sea Shell and the Cool Deal are calling my name- esp. since my special locally bred daylily didn't come back this year!

Paige, if there is still some of the astilbe, I'd love some.

Tina, I'm interested in the red fox- I've got one of the white veronica and I think they'd look good together. If you still have some, please put one aside for me.

Martie, if you have an extra of the knockout & apricot daylilies, I'd appreciate them.

I'm definitely interested in any & all hosta, esp. bi-colored or silver edged for the shady sections. (Not only the old one, but another new shade section will need filling.) Any woodland shade plants would be helpful. I'd love some Jack in the Pulpit if anyone has it- I didn't see any this year, I guess the winter got them or something and I think they are so cool looking.

I'll definitely bring something for the picnic, too. I'm not sure- depends on what I get inspired to make - or purchase :)

• paigect
    17 years ago

cat, I should have several astilbe. I just hope I divided it properly! I would love some of the pink phlox if it is a bright or dark pink. I would also love some low-growing dianthus if you have some.

I'm so excited! This is my first garden swap. I divided and potted a bunch of stuff today.

• ego45
    17 years ago

cat, Grand Blue already have your name written all over it...:-) I'm not sure yet about Francee, will see close to the date, though I definitely could bring no-name giant blue(spring)-green(summer) hosta. Leaves about 12" long x 10" wide at maturity. Mother plant is 4' wide x 2' tall. The most slug resistant hosta in my garden.
    I'd love to have tiger lily bulbs/bulbils, as I'm planting deer-frequent area and they suppose to be deer resistant. Do you know if that is true?

Hedy, I'll have Fr. Williams for you and another small Limelight, too.
    I'm moving plants now and really don't know what else will be available, but for sure I'll not come empty handed.
    BTW, are rudbeckia fulgida (B-E Susan) deer resistant or not? Does it spreads by runners or by seeds (sorry for the stupid question, but I never had it)?

• casey1gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

George, I've had my rudbeckia grazed but I know others have said it's deer resisitant. I must have have strange deer because they're eating molinia and I didn't think they ate grasses. I sprayed most everything with a new spray that lasts 6 months but I didn't spray the grasses or the new hostas I planted.

I'm also bringing some tough sweet wiliams if anyone wants those.

Hedy

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Hedy: I'd love some Sweet William.

NEW OFFER For the Industrious:

I have five 3' Arborvatae that are healthy but need a new home. In ten years they will grow to 20'hx5'w and make a great buffer planting. (I have a mature stand of 20 that are a Godsend against traffic noise.) I don't have space left that's dry enough for them. They should be spaced at 3' on a 2/3 angle.

Nothing particularly ornamental, but if you're trying to block an ugly view, these are your plants :-) I'll only bring them if someone claims them, otherwise they'll be out near the street with a "Free: sign :-).

Martie

• cat2
    17 years ago

OK- I've got the flox & dianthus for Paige and a bunch of the bulbus for George.

I have absolutely no idea about deer eating the tiger lilies- they haven't eaten mine, but then I haven't actually seen any deer this year. We have something creating big tunnels out back and something eating tomatoes- which I wonder if it might be the cat, actually, since to my surprise he licked up some spilled fresh salsa.

I will bring a pasta salad with a mint cranberry pecan pesto.

• ego45
    17 years ago

Modern Tigrinum(Tiger) lilies cultivars are not deer resistant, though adult deers are rarely interested in them, only browsing/learning fawns do, but that is enough to not attempt to plant them in a deer exposed areas.
    However, heirloom species (L. davidii), of which modern TL hybrids were produced, most likely (not guaranteed!) will be not touched even by curious bambies. One of the my neighbors have a large stand of them and I immensely enjoy it in late July-early Augist.

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Greetings, All!!!! DS has just informed us that we need to attend a meeting for all parents of students going abroad. It's scheduled for next Sunday. &(&_#@(+%@* and other choice responses came from my lips, but priorities are priorities.

Thanks to all who have already dug, and I'm So Sorry!!! to those who were anticipating plants from my gardens. Dee -- the white lilac will be heeled in for the winter :-)

Next Spring!!!

Martie

• paigect
    17 years ago

martie, that is certainly an understandable priority! How exciting that your DS is going abroad. Where is he headed?

Cat, thanks for the phlox and dianthus.

I'm heading back out today to finish digging and potting. I should mention, my neighbors claimed the buddleia that was on my list. It was unclaimed on here, but in case anyone was secretly hoping for it, it went toward neighbor goodwill. :-)

• paigect
    17 years ago

Oh, and I forgot to add - -

The Dicentra and some of the Astilbe that I had listed was coming from a different neighbor's garden. We were supposed to pot it up today, but her entire family is sick and in bed. It's possible we won't be able to get it potted in time for the swap. I do have a few astilbe from my own garden (I will label one for George and one for Cat), but no Dicentra unfortunately, as my sole plant has never gotten big enough to divide. Hopefully my neighbor will have time split the plants on Saturday, but if not, well, I apologize!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Oh, Martie, we will miss you! Rather odd to schedule a school meeting on a Sunday, no?? But of course, that is a priority, so your absence is understandable.

I have an unexpected chunk of time today to spend in the garden, so I'm off to organize what I will be bringing.

:)
    Dee

• casey1gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Paige, were you looking for groundcover? I can bring some Kenilworth ivy (cymbalaria muralis) that grows under shrubs and will hang down a wall. If anyone else wants any LMK.

Hedy

• ego45
    17 years ago

Hedy, I'll take a Cymbalaria. I tried it once but it died right from the start and I never saw it offered in trade thereafter.
    Also, you mention before that you'll have a 'taller and more vigorous' monarda. Seems like a right plant for my new 'Deer Paradise' bed.

I'll have a small seedling of Kirengeshoma koreana (downfacing flowers) which just recently miraculously appeared in place where large clump was 2 years ago, but had been moved.
    The following roses could be dug up if anyone will claim them: Mr. Lincoln, Gemini, Iceberg and Cl. Blaze (since Martie is not coming). Otherwise I'll not bother to dig them out.
    Also small hydrangea 'Miyama-yae-Murazaki" rooted start is available, but I don't think it's ready to go into ground unprotected this time of the year and should either have to be overwintered in pot in greenhouse/garage or spend the whole winter under piles of shredded leaves. Given the size, shouldn't be a big deal.

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

I'm bringing lamium (for Amy I think?), lemon thyme for Paige, woodland ferns (for Richie -- though it sounds as if there will be plenty of ferns for the taking!) Also some of the deep purple columbine (tall, spread madly!). If anyone is interested in a mildew-prone honeysuckle ("Goldflame") just holler - otherwise I'm digging it up and throwing it out. It was GORGEOUS big plant when I bought it early this summer, but hasn't done well where I have it.

George -- did you want a clump from Paul's Glory or not? I wasn't sure what you decided. I'm happy to divide it, but if no one wants any, I'll wait until spring to do so...

I was going to bring a tortellini salad but sounds like there will be quite a few pasta-based salads already, so I'll bring dessert.

/ Marty

• ego45
    17 years ago

Marty, sure, of course, I'll take a whole clump and you even don't have to divide it, LOL.
    Seriously, I even have a hole for it already prepared. I just moved some hostas and left 3' space with provision for for PG. Enough?

Anyone for giant blue-green hosta (possibly either T-Rex or Big Daddy)?

• Richard Dollard
    17 years ago

HI everyone,
    What time do we need to be there on sunday? Thanks, Richie

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Son is going to Japan next spring as a Junior in college. Not unusual for colleges to schedule parent stuff on weekends.

A BONUS TO THIS FORAY: His host mom is a major hybrider of Tree Peony!!!! She and I already have an email relationship going.

Will miss you all!!!! But -- think of what I may have to offer during the Fall '07 swap!!

Martie

• paigect
    17 years ago

Hedy, thanks for thinking of me. How aggressive is that Kenilworth ivy?

George, I would take a piece of that monster hosta. I don't like most hosta, but those have the thick leaves that don't get as raggedy looking, right?

I have something to add to my list: Echinacea purpurea, 'Kim's Knee High'. At least I think that was the variety. I know this makes me weird, but echinacea doesn't do it for me. It always looks faded and scruffy in my gardens.

Marty, shame about the honeysuckle. I have a "Manifich" that I've already moved (too shady) and now it's also looking a bit out of sorts in its new full sun location. Maybe they are more temperamental than I thought.

Martie, how lucky you are! Well, first of all to have a son who is taking advantage of such a great educational opportunity, but besides that . . . a major hybrider of the Tree Peony?? Will you be able to visit your son there in Japan?!

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

George - I'm interested in the Kirengeshoma koreana and hydrangea 'Miyama-yae-Murazaki". I am bringing you your epimediums.

I have to go through the whole list and see what people have requested, but here are some things that I know that I will be bringing:

wild ginger
    Jack-in-the-pulpit seedlings - I had really good germination on these. They are small, but I have quite a few pots. They would be good for naturalizing.
    tovara 'painter's pallette'
    shasta daisy 'Alaska'
    Malva sylvestris 'Brave Heart'

anyone interested in these groundcovers?:
    lamium (pink)
    lamiastrum (yellow)
    vinca
    pachysandra
    tiny hosta seedlings - plain green with a fairly nice flower
    double flowered buttercups

• ego45
    17 years ago

Deb, I'll take wild ginger.
    Marking kirengeshoma and hydrangea for you.

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

If no one else speaks for the tovara, I'd love some of it (wouldn't mind a pot of the Jack-in-the-Pulpit seedlings as well, if you have extras -- they'd be perfect for a natural "glen" area we're developing in the woods behind the house!)

/ Marty

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

George - The wild ginger is marked for you. I have some tiger lily bulbs for you also.

Cat - I am interested in your lavender and mountain bluet. I saw your J-i-t-P request. Do you want any of my seedlings?

Marty - I have a several pots of J-i-t-P for you and also the tovara. They have 4-6 seelings each. I would love your goldflame honeysuckle.

Richie - the swaps generally start at 10:00

Deb

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Deb - the Goldflame is all yours. It's going to look pathetic this fall because I'll have to cut it back drastically to get what's left of it (i.e., twining branches sans mildew-dessicated leaves!) disentangled from the chainlink fence it was intended to cover, but in the right conditions, it should come back like gangbusters next spring. It was large and covered with blooms when I bought it early this summer -- I'm happy it will have a chance to redeem itself!
    / Marty

• aeiger
    17 years ago

Deb, I would love some of the jack in the pulpit. I also have a lot of shade or part sun so hostas are always welcome.

I will try to harvest some scarlet monarda seed called Earl Grey.

Marty, I'll try some of that honeysuckle. /Abi

• Richard Dollard
    17 years ago

Thanks Deb. I am also bringing along dwarf korean lilac shrubs.

• ego45
    17 years ago

Deb, while your memory is fresh, do you remeber if your tiger lilies had black dots/flecks on reddish flowers or brown dots on orange petals like in a link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: L. davidii

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Abi -- I'm happy to try dividing the honeysuckle so you and Deb can both have some, but I have no clue how to do it (never had honeysuckle before!). I could certainly take some cuttings but they won't be rooted by Sunday. Or I could try whacking the root ball in half if anyone's done that with success? I looked online and only found references to cuttings -- on one site, the propagation method was listed as "nursery plants in spring" ;)

Richie -- are the Korean lilacs up for grabs or are they already spoken for? If the former, I'd be happy to take one off your hands... ;)
    / Marty

• siennact
    17 years ago

George do you want more monarda, I think I still have some around that is bright purple. If not does anyone else want it? It's the same kind I brought to last year's fall swap, whatever that was.

Tina

• casey1gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Paige, the cymbalaria does spred (good for a groundcover) but it's low and can hang over a wall or pot. I'll bring a pot for George and an extra in case you want it.

Deb, if you have any Jack's I'd love some too. Your gingers are doing great and the Jacks should be right at home.

I'm bringing several pots of choc. eupatorium, agastache, lady ferns, nepeta subsessilis, ribbon grass, red japanese maples, campanula latifolia, columbines and geraniums. I'm only bringing one each of:
    sisyrinchium angustifolium (blue eyed grass)
    baby pine
    deep pink sweet william
    'jacob cline' monarda
    deep red monarda
    and two each of white and purple penstemons

If anyone wants more of these please LMK.

Hedy

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Okay, it looks like this is my list of things to bring:

primrose denticulata
    digitalis grandiflora (in rebloom now!)
    columbines (Woodside Variegated, Green Apple, and possibly some Blue Star and/or caerula - to be honest, the labels are faded!)
    malva Magic (which may or may not be the same as Mystic Merlin???)
    coleus
    echinacea purpurea
    echinacea White Swan

Sorry, just couldn't get to the daylilies this fall for division.

If anyone is interested in something specific, let me know and I will mark it. Tina, I've got a baptisia australis with your name on it.

Dee

• ego45
    17 years ago

As I mention in another thread, I'm looking for anything that is not of the deers interest, could take dry(ish) part-shade and be relatively tall to be visible from 50'. Clumper/spreader is a plus.
    In this respect, I'll be more than glad to take out of your hands ANY monarda, echinacea, eupatorium and whatever else you think will meet above said criterias.

Hedy, I wouldn't mind to try Blue eyed grass. Does it selfseed freely or just clumping?

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

Dee  IÂm interested in your primrose denticulata and echinacea white swan (which failed to winter sow for me two years in a row!)

George - the lilies I have are L. lancifolium not davidii. They are the ones that produce bulbils along their stems. They are about 5-6' high. The deer have never so much as browsed them. They are orange, but don't remember the color of the specks. (My memory is not as fresh as hoped) The swallowtails LOVE them! Mine even bloom in fairly deep shade. They need to be a bit older to do this. Is this what you want?

IÂve got Jacks for Hedy and Abi. Anyone else? They are small, but IÂve got lots.

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Deb - put me down for some of the Jack-in-the-Pulpits, too. Thanks! I've got the Goldflame honeysuckle marked for you, and if I can figure out how to divide it (any advice out there??) then I'm happy to do so for Abi! Maybe I'll just bring the whole thing and let you two figure out how to divide it, since I haven't a clue! ;)

/ Marty

Hopefully Casey has me down for some red monarda? (Jacob Cline?)

• ego45
    17 years ago

Yes, Deb, I'll take all you are willing to spear.
    BTW, do you know that L. lancifolum bulbs are edible?

• susieoc
    17 years ago

First, to Dee, thanks for your response to my questions about the plant swap. Second, I have a partial list of plants to bring on Sunday. I hope there will be some takers.
    Ampelopsis - a small seedling that should take off
    next spring
    Christmas Tree hosta (my personal favorite)
    Tricyrtis amethystina
    Chelone
    a very cute small leaved hosta, don't remember the name

I am coming with a friend and we are so looking forward to our first swap!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Funny thing, Deb - both the primrose and the echinacea were winter-sown! The primrose germinated like weeds last spring (2005) and this year got huge!

Forgot I also have some divisions of geranium Claridge Druce, and will dig up some dwarf bearded iris, dark purple, sold as Royal Knight but I have my doubts about that - but still nice!

Dee

• ego45
    17 years ago

Susieoc,
    Do you know what kind of chelone you have, C. glabra, C. obliqua or C. lyonii? If it's white or pinkish-white, I'm interested.
    Dee, please reserve one pot of geranium for me. Thanks.

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

Susieoc - I am interested in your Tricyrtis amethystina. If you have a second one or if the color isn't right for George I would be interested in a chelone also.

More to offer:
    rosemary
    streptocarpus - a houseplant that needs conditions similar to african violet - pretty lavender flowers
    yellow dahlias that never made it to the spring swap and lived the summer in their pots

looking for: coleus cuttings/rootings

Deb

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Deb, I've got tons of coleus and will be taking some cuttings for myself this week. Are you looking for any specific varieties? By the look of things this year frost will get them soon.

Sue

• paigect
    17 years ago

OK, here's a stupid question. Can't one just repot their coleus and take it in for the winter? Why does everyone take cuttings?

• ego45
    17 years ago

Paige, yes you could repot coleus and take it home, but very soon it will be huge and leggy.
    Also, could you imagine to bring home such monster (easy 4x4')? 3 years ago Abi gave me a 1G pot of it. What you see is the 8th or 9th generation out of it.
    {{gwi:1089212}}
    I already propagated enough cuttings of my favorites, will bring them home and when in December-January they'll be woody again I'll take a new cuttings which will be the actual plants that will go into ground in a spring.
    Depending on variety's vigor and size, sometimes only third generation will be manageable to keep it till spring.

If anyone interested I could bring a lot of fresh cuttings (not rooted) of this one and from 'South of the Border'. Both have good sun tolerance.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Goodness, I have coleus coming out of the ears! Take my coleus... please!

Another thing I forgot to list - datura metel alba. I've got several of these if anyone is interested.

Dee

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

Marty - Jacks for you also

George - My little darlings got a hold of my lily bulbs and pulled the scales apart. They didn't eat them. I dug you a few more. Do you want the scales for propagation? Not everyone is that patient.

Paige - we take cuttings because we have no room for all the stuff that we bring in as it is!

Sue - No preference. Just adding to my collection! And please don't mention the "F" word! ;-)

• casey1gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dee, I'm interested in your primrose and Susie in your tricyrtis. I also have 2 rooted Lady in Red hygrangeas I can bring.

Hedy

• shady_lady_gardener
    17 years ago

Hi all- Just joined the GW this morning. My goodness...I hope some of the green on your thumbs rub off on mine!
    I would L-O-V-E to attend this swap! Can anyone tell me, is the Climbing Hydrangea anything like a Wisteria? And, does anyone have use for Wisteria? I also have purple Columbine I can dig and some ground covers, etc. Will look around. I'll bring somethin' for dessert... -Dyan