SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilaschnauzies

My Fun Fall Hosta Starting Project

sheilaschnauzies
9 years ago

Are any of you are crazy like I am? When I am dividing a hosta and I break off a perfectly good leaf, I can't bear to just toss it in the compost! I have what I call my "ICU" flower bed which is a bed near my front porch where it gets my constant attention in terms of watering and such, and it has really nice soil. I'll poke a hole and stick the hosta leaf in, pat it down and water and wish it good luck. I have actually had some good luck with some of them growing! Just wondered if any of you do that. I've also had a bit of success with rooting stems in water but not as much.

Oftentimes I will go out when we are about to get our first frost and pick a huge bucket of hosta leaves from my favorite plants and bring them indoors for a "hosta bouquet."

I thought it would be fun this Fall to do a little hosta experiment. I'm going to pick an extra bucket of leaves. My husband built me a wonderful raised flowerbed by my back porch this summer which I've used to grow veggies. After we get our first freeze, I'm going to remove all the veggies. Then I'm going to poke the hosta stems deep down in the soil and just let them be all winter. I think it'll be interesting to see if any of them develop roots and turn into plants over the winter. Am I nuts? Probably! But if next April I see even one little happy green hosta spike poking up out of there I'll consider it a success!

Another thing I'm planning to do is to bring a potted tiny hosta inside as a houseplant for the winter to see how it does.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!